Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:

Extent of Listing:
House and houseyard

Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839

Address :
Favor Royal Favour Royal Road Augher Dungannon Co Tyrone BT77 OEW

Favour Royal

Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
20/11/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Country House

Former Use
Country House

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
H6165 5275

Owner Category


Exterior Description And Setting

Middle sized Tudor Manorial style country house built 1825, set in extensive earlier demesne on S side of Favor Royal Road. Demesne is bounded to the N by the river Blackwater, to the E by the Derrymeen Road, to the S by the border with Co Monaghan, and to the W by the church of St. Mary’s Portclare, and to the NW by the Favour Royal Road. 1.0 The main house For the purpose of this description the front elevation is deemed to be that containing the main entrance, which is NW facing. The right (SW) and rear (SE) elevations both front the open parkland, and the left (NE) elevation fronts the house yard, with farm yard beyond. See map. The house is two storeys high with gabled attics and part basement and three bays wide. It has a three pile pitched natural slate roof (ridges parallel with façade) with an additional roof running parallel to the right elevation (making roof profile E shaped). Decorative gables with pinnacles, and numerous chimneystacks give the roofline definition. Ridge tiles are of dressed stone. The chimneys are typically three tall (square in section) stacks angled on a common base, with crested metal pots. Walls are of stugged sandstone block work with an advanced basecourse with Cavetto moulding to cill level. At wall head is a moulded Gothic stringcourse which follows the line of the numerous decorative gables (see each elevation for details). Over cornice is a blocking course with saddle coping. Each gable is topped by a slightly tapering barley-sugar finial resting on a bulbous corbel. To front, right and rear, a parapet gutter drains to four main down pipes on the right (SW) elevation. These are very finely dressed with conical moulded hopper heads and quarter-attached cylindrical down pipes, with clasping bands and a two-stage basecourse. These elements give this elevation vertical emphasis and depth. To left and part of rear elevations there is no parapet and the roof is drained by lead down pipes with similar hoppers. 1.1 Front (NW) elevation of main house This is three bays wide. It has a single storey, open, castellated porch to central bay. Left and right bays have decorative gables. Porch has a flat roof with embattled parapet and is of sandstone (as main block), with a two-stage base course. Each face has a large Tudor opening with moulded chamfered reveal. To the front corners there are angled buttresses, terminated with gabled pinnacles. Moulded eaves cornice and parapet over is saddled coped, each merlon has a chamfered head. Porch ceiling has gone but conical corbels in corners suggest it once had ribbed and vaulted plaster ceiling. Main entrance is recessed within house and is accessed by five slightly bow-fronted steps (each a single piece of stone) rising to a four (vertically) panelled door (with brass knob) and pole moulded Gothic-style architrave. Door has Gothic-headed sidelights and overlights, all multi-glazed with heavy glazing bars in a simple gothic manner. Door and sidelights are set within a plain deeply chamfered Tudor headed opening. Its reveal and the walls to the porch recess are in painted lined plaster. Back to front elevation. Each remaining bay on ground and first floors has a rectangular window opening containing four narrow 2/2 sliding sash windows with chamfered timber mullions. Each top sash has a delicate ogee head, and over, filling the spandrels, are matching inverted single paned transoms, with mullions rising around to frame all. All openings have chamfered reveals and cills and a drip mould over. Those windows to first floor are slightly diminished in height and their ogee heads are more depressed than those at ground floor. To attic floor in the gables to left and right bays are smaller window openings containing three 4/4 sliding sashes (without horns or drip moulds). To central bay to attic, just below eaves level, are two small narrow (arrow-loop) three paned windows. 1.2 Right (SW) elevation of main house This elevation is three bays wide, the central bay being wider than the other two which have decorative gables. The left and right bays are identical to those on front elevation and are framed by stone rainwater goods (described previously). Central bay has a canted bay window at ground floor. It has a two-stage basecourse and castellated coping (as front porch). Its front face has a tall window (as the others to ground floor but higher) with Gothic headed sashes (rather than ogee ones). Its transoms align directly over each sash, creating small fixed spandrel panes between (unlike the other windows). Its cheeks each have matching single sash sidelights. On main wall to left and right of canted bay window are single narrow window openings, each containing a pair of ogee headed 2/2 sash windows. At first floor, aligned above, are similar windows (slightly diminished in height) which are set slightly higher than those to the extreme left and right bays. Between them, over the canted bay window is a matching three sash wide (ogee headed) window. Above to attic level are two narrow three-paned arrow-loop windows. The window to first floor of left bay and that to ground floor of right bay are dummies. Their internal reveals are infilled; that to ground floor is plastered and painted black, and that to first floor is exposed brickwork (no trace of either internally). 1.3 Rear (SE) elevation of main house Rear elevation is two bays wide with left one slightly wider than the other and detailed as main house, while the right bay is more plainly detailed (as yard facing left elevation, see later) . Left bay has a decorative gable to centre. It has two windows (each four sashes wide) to each floor. Those to ground floor are taller than the ground floor windows to the front and right elevations but are similarly detailed. Those to first floor are as the other first floor windows. In gable is an attic window (as the others in gables). The right bay is set slightly back from the left one and has a different floor configuration being four storey, but with a similar eaves height. Chamfered base course is lower than that to main block. There are three windows to each floor. All are sliding sashes without horns, and set in chamfered reveals. They vary in height from floor to floor. Left one on each floor is a 2/4 sash. The remaining sashes are all 4/4 with timber mullion; except for those to second floor, which are taller and contain 6/6 sashes without mullions. Those to ground floor have external grilles over. 1.4 Left (NE) elevation of main house This elevation fronts the house yard and is three bays wide, each gabled, with left and right bays advanced. Central bay is wider than the other two. All have slightly advanced ashlar copings and moulded kneelers. Walls are slightly more roughly dressed than those to the rest of the house. Central bay is abutted to ground floor by a single storey lean-to return with basement below (see later). Central gable has two chimneystacks, centred on gable. The lean-to return has a monopitched natural slate roof. Its central porch has a pitched natural slate roof with stone kneeler. T+g sheeted entrance door on front face with seven paned mouth-organ transom over. Its left and right cheeks are blank. On lean-to wall, to left and right of porch are single 8/8 sliding sashes with external bars. At basement level the porch is supported on a barrel vault (over basement passage). Basement wall to left has a large multi-paned segmental-headed sash window; a similar opening to right end of basement contains a pair of low t+g sheeted doors with large multi-paned transom over. Above to central gable, filling half landing and first floor levels, is the large gallery window (lighting stairwell) with depressed Gothic-head, stone voussoirs and chamfered reveals. Window mullions are in timber separating two outer lancets and a central flat headed pane (all sliding sashes). All have timber gothic margin panes and the central one has a rose window in its head. Small stone above has raised ‘1825’. On wall to its left is an 8/8 sash window and to its right is 12/12 sash set slightly higher (to the servants’ staircase). At first floor left is an 8/12 sash window and to right, set at a higher level (to servants’ staircase), is a 12/16 sash. To second floor, set to left, is a wide 12/12 sash, and set to right of centre is an 8/8 sash. Left bay (slightly advanced) is abutted to ground floor by a range of outbuildings enclosing the rear of the yard (see later). Main gable has three chimneystacks (on a common base set to right of centre) and moulded eaves to its right (yard facing) cheek. To second floor right is a 2/2 sash window. Yard facing cheek is abutted to ground floor by the lean-to of the central gable and above is a small two paned casement window. Right bay (slightly advanced) is abutted to ground floor left and centre by a range of outbuildings enclosing the front of the yard (see later). Its attic gable has four chimneystacks (on a common base set to left of centre). Gable has moulded eaves to its left (yard facing) cheek which is blank and abutted to ground floor by the lean-to on the central gable. The gable has a 2/2 sash window at second floor left. Its exposed section at ground floor right is narrow has a large carved stone plaque (bottom edge moulded possibly as a door lintel). Inscription in raised letters stating “WELCOM TO COM IN A / ND AS WECOM TO GO BY.” Between these lines are two carved flowers between which is the date ‘1670’. This plaque was taken from the earlier house on this site (burnt down 1823), it seems to be of similar stone to the current house. 2.0 The house yard The house yard abuts the NE elevation of the house and is enclosed to rear (SW) by a long two-storey block, incorporating original kitchens at join with house and advancing beyond the house yard into the farmyard at left. Two separate blocks enclose the front of the house yard. The first, at join with main house, is the servants’ hall and the other is a slightly narrower and lower outbuilding. The end of the yard is enclosed by a single storey brick lean-to against a masonry wall with coachway to its left side (as viewed from house yard) topped by a bellcote. 2.1 Servants’ hall Pitched natural slate roof with stone ridge tiles and ashlar copings, eaves and kneelers. Metal rainwater goods. Its exposed gable end (SE) is abutted slightly to right of centre by a much narrower single storey outbuilding (see later). On exposed wall to left is a small six paned casement in a chamfered opening with a similar blind opening to gable apex. Yard-facing elevation of the servants’ hall is blank at ground floor and has two windows at basement level, both 12/12 semicircular headed sashes with bars over. The front facing (NW) elevation of the servants’ hall is set slightly back from the front elevation of the main house. It has a similar basecourse and is three windows wide, each a narrow 4/4 sliding sash (without horns) in a chamfered opening. Its eaves course is formed by moulded cast-iron gutter with lead downpipe to right end. To ground at right is a large basement shaft with passage leading parallel with this elevation (under a vault) and passage leading out towards front drive, opening is covered with a large iron grille. 2.2 Outbuilding enclosing front of house yard This derelict building is narrow and formerly had pitched natural slate roof, the ghost of which can be seen against servants’ hall gable. Its front facing (NW) wall is divide into six identical bays, each separated by a buttress with a decorative gable just above eaves level. Each bay has a chamfered window opening with bars over, right one retains its original 12/12 sash window. Lintel of fourth opening (from left) has gone and many of the buttress gables have toppled. This elevation has been detailed to complement the main entrance of the house, which lies to its right. Its yard facing elevation is more plainly detailed with four openings – at left is a window with plainly dressed stone surround and cill, other openings are similarly dressed doorways. Two applied buttresses flank the central door. To immediate right of fourth opening is a small window that has been created within the infilling of a larger opening. Its right gable end is completely abutted by a similar end block. End block shares the same roof profile, which terminates in a hip. Its natural slate roof is intact. Yard-facing wall has similar eaves course and masonry construction to the front outbuilding but is of a lesser quality. Its end gable has a doorway with transom over and faces into farmyard. Its front (driveway facing elevation is partially abutted by an irregularly constructed lean-to (of no interest). 2.3 Outbuilding enclosing rear of house yard This block is two storeys and long, enclosing both house yard and part of the farmyard. Pitched natural slate roof (partially collapsed) has an advanced ashlar eaves course carrying metal rainwater goods. Two brick chimneys, the largest serving the former kitchen range. Walls are as left (yard facing) elevation of main house. All window openings have dressed stone cills and brick reveals and heads. The outbuilding has three bays to yard, the central one wider than the other two. The right bay (at join with main house) has two tall 9/9 sliding sash windows with bars over (serving former kitchen). The heads of these windows rise to first floor level. To extreme right at first floor is a small four paned casement window. Central bay is symmetrical. To ground floor centre is a semi-circular headed niche with dressed stone voussoirs. To its immediate left and right are single t+g sheeted doors with stone lintels with masonry jack arches over. To left and right of these is a 6/6 sliding sash window with bars over. Above the central arch and each of the ground floor windows are single 3/3 sash windows. Left bay is symmetrical and has door to centre (as previous doors to central bay). To its left and right are window openings. That to left has been bricked up and that to right contains a 6/6 sliding sash with bars (the meeting rail of which is in line with door lintel). To first floor, in line with each ground floor opening, is a 3/3 sliding sash window. The rear (SW) elevation of this outbuilding has a flight of cantilevered stone stairs at left end (at join with main house) leading to modern glazed sheeted door with ten-paned transom over, just at eaves course. To first floor right is a 6/6 sliding sash window with bars over. Its central bay has two windows to each floor. Ground floor left has a 6/6 sash, to its right is a four paned casement. To first floor is a 3/6 sash window. Right bay has 6/6 sash window set into former doorway with brick dressings, at left above is 3/3 broad sash window with stone cill and lintel. The NE end of the house yard is enclosed by a high masonry wall, which separates the house yard from the farmyard. This wall ties into the end gable of front range of outbuildings. Where it meets front range there it has a segmental headed carriageway with stepped coping resting on which is a flat-topped bellcote (bell missing). Remainder of wall has a single doorway, which leads into a single storey brick outbuilding which abuts its house wall face. It has three windows, all are three paned casements with brick jack arches and stone cills. 3.0 Farmyard adjacent to house yard. This farmyard is L-shaped. It continues along the same lines as the house yard (in a NE direction) and then turns in a SE direction. It is enclosed by three two-storey outbuildings: 1) the continuation of the rear range from the house yard, 2) a barn to front, 3) block enclosing the NW end, aligned NE-SW. Its SE boundary is enclosed by a high wall with doorway to right side leading towards the garden cottage (HB13/03/008). The wall has a bellcote to top with bell intact. 3.1 Continuation of the rear outbuilding from the house yard This range seems earlier in detail with softer stone construction and raised one-piece ashlar reveals to openings. It may belong to the house of 1670, which burnt down in 1823. Its farmyard facing elevation is three narrow bays wide. Each contains a t+g sheeted door at ground floor, flanked by half sized sidelights (once containing fixed eight-paned windows). Doors and sidelights are dressed in ashlar with raised base blocks and over door a decorative keystone is carved into the lintel. There is a masonry relieving arch over each door and its sidelights. At ground floor right the opening has been enlarged and the doorway and sidelights removed, with only the arch remaining. It is abutted by brick lean-to (of no interest). To each bay at first floor is a 6/6 sliding sash window with bars over that to the left end has been blocked with masonry. The left end of this elevation is terminated by a buttress which steps out and is irregularly dressed to first floor (suggesting that another adjacent building has been demolished). Left gable is in two stages, with first floor is stepped back slightly. To first floor is a 6/6 sliding sash with brick dressings and similar jack arch. Rear elevation of this block (enclosing rear of farmyard) has a rear return at right end. Remaining rear wall has a doorway at ground floor left (door gone) and at ground floor right is a small six paned casement window. At first floor left is a 3/3 sash window with brick reveals, stone cill, and bars over. Rear return has a slightly lower eaves level and its pitched roof has been stripped of slate. Its rear gable is blank. Left cheek is in red brick with a small casement window to either end. It has two dressed quoins to its rear left corner (salvaged from elsewhere). Its right cheek is in stone and fronts the rest of the farmyard. To centre is a doorway with an ashlar architrave and advanced decorative keystone (door gone). To left and right are single 3x5 paned centre pivoted Georgian glazed timber windows with ashlar architrave. Above central door is t+g loading door with similar architrave. 3.2 Barn enclosing front of farmyard This derelict building is two storeys high. Pitched natural slate roof is stripped and collapsed. Stone walls as other buildings, with dressed eaves course. Its front (NW) elevation is symmetrical with three segmental stone archways. Left one is open, others are infilled with masonry. At left corner at first floor level is the spring of arch of a former coachway (retaining only two voussoirs), with a similar one on rear wall (no trace of coachway). The left gable of barn is blank. Its farmyard facing (SE) elevation is symmetrical consisting of two semi-elliptical stone archways with stepped stone voussoirs, between these to first floor level are two small ashlar stone openings with bars over. Left end of this elevation is partially abutted by the end outbuilding of front range of the house yard (see above). 3.3 Outbuilding enclosing NW end of farmyard This outbuilding is two storey/ three bay with its pitched roof (slates gone). Central bay is narrower than the other bays. Three chimneys – one to each gable in stone and a brick one to central bay. Walls are squared rubble stone brought to courses. All openings have advanced finely dressed architraves. Ground floor window heads are higher than those to the doors, and the first floor window heads hit eaves level. Left bay has a t+g door set to ground floor centre, with a keystone to its lintel. It has an infilled window opening to left and right, each with a masonry jack arch over. Above the door at first floor is a lower loading doorway (door gone); and above the ground floor windows are smaller window openings (frames gone). Central bay has a door to left (as previous door) and to its right is a 9/9 sash window with jack arch over. Above the door is small nine paned centre pivoted timber window. Right bay has two segmental headed archways with t+g doors. Aligned above each arch is a window as that to central bay. Left gable of this outbuilding is lower as ground falls away. It has a doorway to right. At a higher ground floor level is a small four-paned fixed window. To first floor are two small narrow ventilation openings. Rear elevation is abutted to left of centre by single storey return (see later). Remaining elevation at right has a small six-paned sash window at left end a larger 8/8 sash window set to the right. At first floor there are four ventilation openings. Remaining elevation at left has a six-paned window set to the right at first floor. Return has a pitched natural slate roof, which has collapsed. Its right cheek has two small four-paned windows with stone cills. Its end gable has a t+g sheeted loading door at first floor. Left cheek has two door openings to centre with a small narrow window to either end. Setting Demesne has a number of features of interest. Main entrance to Favor Royal Road has an attractive single storey Tudor-style gate lodge (HB13/03/005) on NW side of Favour Royal Road, and on SE side the main gates are wrought iron on large masonry piers with ogee caps (which probably carried heavy ball finials). Entrance is set within a concave wall quadrant with rubble battlemented coping, and piers (as those to gates) at either end. The serpentine main driveway runs in a SE direction through mixed an area of woodland, when it meets the open parkland it then runs E, crossing a small single span bridge with rubble battlemented coping (HB13/03/026). The stream below flows from the Blackwater River (to N) to the now drained lake at S. Driveway then continues E to main house, which it passes to the N, continues beyond the house yard and farm yard to a pigsty and weigh house (both HB13/03/025), a second, later, farm yard (HB13/03/027), a walled garden and gardeners house (HB13/03/012). A branch from the main driveway runs N just to the E of the main house and is carried by a single span bridge with rubble battlemented copings (HB13/03/007) over the Blackwater River and back onto the Favor Royal Road. To immediate SE of the main house, on a terraced E facing hillside is a small derelict garden cottage (HB13/03/008). Much of the parkland has been heavily planted by the Forestry Commission. The areas close to the house retain their original planting. To the SW of the main house is a meadow valley, with informal deciduous planting and lake (now drained). When standing at the S corner of the main house, looking W, the church of St Mary’s Portclare (HB13/03/010), which was built by the Moutrays in 1830s, can clearly be seen through the groups of trees. The church is likely to have been built on this site to be an eye catcher as its location is an integral feature of the designed landscape. There are the remains of an ornamental rockery immediately opposite the house porch and beyond, falling downhill to the immediate N, a meadow which runs to the Blackwater. To immediate S of the main house is a group of mature yews on a raised bed, forming a belt of over-mature planting along the S side of the house and yards leading towards the walled garden. To the immediate S of the house is a small meadow and to SE is the terraced hillside in front of the garden cottage.


Hargrave, John

Historical Information

James I granted Sir Thomas Ridgeway 740 acres of land, in 1613. Sir James Erskine later purchased the Augher estates from Sir Thomas Ridgeway. Charles II confirmed the Manor of Portclare (under the name of Favor Royal) to the Erskine family in 1665. Eventually his estate was divided between his two granddaughters, one half became Spur Royal (Augher Castle) and the other Favor Royal. One of Erskine's granddaughters married John Moutray; they built the first house and created the demesne in 1670. This house continued as the family home until it was destroyed by accidental fire in 1823. Captain John Corry Moutray, the occupant at the time, commissioned architect John Hargrave to design the new house. The John Hargrave drawings contains plans and elevations. The plans show the principal rooms at basement, principal storey (ground floor), chamber storey (first floor), and attic level. They show the walling of the proposed new house in brown, and it should be noted that the kitchen walling is shown in black ink, (possibly) implying that they already existed, and had survived the fire of 1823. The house yard and farmyards and not shown by Hargrave which may suggest they too were already in place. Bence-Jones states that the architect was thought to be William Warren, but this is not the case. The elevation drawings show the NW (with front porch), and the SW (with bay window) elevations. These drawings may be the initial proposal, as there are a number of differences when they are compared with what was built. All the windows on the drawings have plain masonry transoms and mullions and are shown to be lattice paned, rather than the timber ogee headed sashes in place today. The gables are not illustrated with pinnacles (although some are sketched on in pencil). The front facing windows of the servants hall are not shown symmetrical (as they were executed) and the front spandrels of the porch are shown incised with “Welcome to come in / welcome to go by”, copying the stone from the first house, but never executed on the porch when built. The main entrance is shown a pair of Gothic doors in masonry architraves, while only one Tudor headed door was installed. House was constructed during 1824-5 and has an 1825 datestone on its left elevation; the earlier 1670 datestone also built into the left elevation is presumably from the first house that burnt down. The fireproof vaulted brick floor construction to upper floor landings and the stone staircases are (presumably) precautionary to ensure the new house was not also destroyed by fire. The painted transom in the book room of a cavalry officer with white charger may be a depiction of Capt. John Corry Moutray. Hargrave was one of a number of architects that had thriving practices in the NW during the early years of the 19thC. Hargrave is also responsible for courthouses at Omagh, Dungannon, Letterkenny and Strabane. His private houses included Balleygawley Park, Ballymacool nr Letterkenny, Loughveagh House, and Rockhill House nr Letterkenny. Capt. John Corry Moutray also built the parish church of St Mary’s Portclare in 1830 as a private chapel. It cost £1,000 and its designer may be John Hargrave who had died in a yachting accident only the previous year. The 1834 OS map shows the demesne and most of its features as they are today; however the drive to N of the main house, its bridge over the river Blackwater, and the later (1856) elements of the outer farmyard are not shown. The 1854 OS map shows the N drive and the Blackwater Bridge. The 1903 OS map shows a boathouse (now gone) on the N side of the lake. Favor Royal was occupied in 1858 by Mr Whitney Moutray, in 1870 by Rev. John James Moutray, and during the first half of the 20thC by Major Anketell Gerald Moutray. House and its contents were sold in 1976 and in 1979 the occupier was a Mr Craig. Johnston states that the Moutrays were the largest landowners in the valley and held the rental of 36 townlands, and a staff of 80 people at one time. A photograph in “Armagh and Tyrone Scenery” depicts the house (c1870) from the NW, showing no planting to front. The family photographs in PRONI mainly show family members, a number however show the house and other estate features. One large 19thC print of a cow shows the cottage in the background, with terraced lawns to its front. Another photograph shows the house from the NNW, with no decorative planting around it, and another is of the house from across the lake. There is also an interior shot of Mr and Mrs Anketell Gerald Moutray in the book room (1930s). Another photograph in the collection has text on the back which reads, “Extract from Daily Mail dated February 1922, In the County of Tyrone one of the outrages was directed at Major Moutray of Favor Royal, Co. Tyrone. He put up a stout resistance, although severely wounded and succumbed to superior numbers. The attack upon him took place between seven and eight in the morning and his captors slinging him into a motor car, departed with him in the direction of County Monaghan before eight o’clock.” There are the two photographs, the c1932 one shows the front of the house (from N) with ornamental canon, the second shows a shooting syndicate posing against the side of the house. Sun dials (marked on the 1977 OS map), one to front and one to right of house, and a large collection of medieval carved stones in the rockery (opposite front porch) were for sale with the house contents in September 1976, and were presumably sold and removed at that time. Following the contents sale, the house remained occupied until the early 1990s. Although not consulted in detail, the Moutray family papers in PRONI are a wide and interesting range of documents from land leases to personal diaries. Primary Sources: 1. J. Hargrave “Design for Favor Royal mansion by John Hargrave”, c1823, PRONI D/2023/14/1. 2. House contents sale catalogue dated 27-28/09/1976. 3. 1st edition 6” OS map Tyrone sheet 59 (1834). 4. 2nd edition 6” OS map Tyrone sheet 59 (1854). 5. 3rd edition 6” OS map Tyrone Sheet 59 (1903). 6. “Photographs of Armagh and Tyrone Scenery 1868-1874” PRONI D/1618/18/11. 7. “Moutray Family Photographs” PRONI D/2023/15/1. Secondary Sources: 1. A. Rowan “North West Ulster” (Penguin 1979), p292. 2. J.A.K. Dean “The Gate lodges of Ulster” (Belfast. 1994), p143. 3. D. Chart (ed) “Preliminary Survey of the Ancient Monuments of N.I.” Belfast 1940, p255. 4. “The Journal of the Royal Historical and Archaeological Association of Ireland”, 1883-4, p133 (Fivemiletown public library). 5, M. Bence-Jones “Country Houses of Ireland” (London 1978), p124 6, J. Johnston “In the Days of the Clougher Valley: Photographs of the Clougher Valley Railway 1887-1942” (Belfast) 1987, pp80,81. 7. Moutray family papers, PRONI D/2023.

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H+. Alterations enhancing the building I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

V. Authorship W. Northern Ireland/International Interest


Middle sized early 19thC Tudor Manorial Style country house is set in extensive earlier demesne which has many attractive features and structures. Externally the house has fine timber windows and good stone detailing. Its house yard and farm yard, although both derelict, have a great deal of character and add to the quality setting of the house. The house interiors are virtually complete although the upper floors are in poor repair. The picturesque designed landscape is an attractive and mature one, with meadows, lake and drives. It contains with lodge and gates (HB13/03/005), two bridges (HB13/03/007&26), garden cottage (HB13/03/008), outer farmyard (HB13/03/027), pigsty and weigh house (HB13/03/025) and walled garden with gardeners house (HB13/03/012).

General Comments

Date of Survey

26 July 1999