Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB17/03/036


Extent of Listing:
Bridge


Date of Construction:
1800 - 1819


Address :
Scarva Bridge Station Road Scarva Craigavon Co Armagh BT63


Townland:
Scarva/ Aughlish






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
15/03/1996 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Bridge

Former Use
Bridge

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
Yes

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
220/10

IG Ref:
J0638 4368





Owner Category


Central Govt

Exterior Description And Setting


Scarva Bridge is a single-span masonry bridge which carries a minor road over the Newry Canal at Scarva. The bridge was constructed in two phases, the original bridge having been widened on its north side by half as much again. Both sections are of random rubble blackstone, with a clear discontinuity in the stonework across the soffit and down the abutments. The arch is of segmental span. Its quoins and voussoir on its S face are of split rubble, whereas on its N face they are of dressed granite blocks; the arch ring also has a keystone on this face. Both parapets are coped with dressed granite blocks of half-round section. The S parapet curves around and down at its W end to follow the canal bank for a short distance. It probably did so as well at its E end, but has been truncated. The N parapet also curves out for a short distance at both ends. The deck is arched with two traffic speed signs at its W and a street light at SE. Adjacent to Scarva Bridge is a second single-span bridge which carries the same minor road over a stream. The stream runs paralell to the Newry Canal. This bridge is also made from rubble stone, with arch of segmented span and rubble stone parapets. Setting Sited at the Newry Canal on the junction of Station Road/Main Street, opposite St Matthews Parish Hall (HB17/03/033). A single-span steel girder footbridge runs across the S face of the bridge. Its balustrades have glazed panels so as not to obscure views of the bridge from this side. It is supported on concrete abutments faced with rubble masonry. The approach wall to the original bridge has been cut through to give access to the W end of the footbridge. An electricity cable is also carried under its deck. The Ulster Way, a long-distance pedestrian footpath, now runs along the towpath which rises up to the road (rather than going through the bridge). Roof: N/A Walling: Stone Windows: N/A RWG: N/A

Architects


Brownrigg, John

Historical Information


The Newry Canal was constructed between 1730 and 1742 to carry coal from Coalisland to Newry and is the earliest summit-level canal in Britain and Ireland. Responsibility for its upkeep passed to the Directors General of Inland Navigation in 1801 and they embarked on a major refurbishment programme, the original waterway having fallen into disrepair. John Brownrigg was appointed to oversee the works which lasted until 1811 and involved repairs to the banks, locks and bridges. In 1829, the Newry Canal Co took over operations, but faced increasing competition once the railway between Belfast and Newry opened in 1852. The canal struggled on until 1936, at which point it was officially abandoned. The original canal bridge at Scarva was a two-arched structure. Walter Harris remarked whilst writing of the canal in 1744 “… where the said canal passes under two arches lately built”. One of these arches may well have been over the towpath, the other being over the canal. Brownrigg probably replaced this two-arch bridge with a single-arched one during the first decade of the 1800s. He also constructed a basin and quay to the north of the bridge, on the right bank (now a visitors’ centre). The bridge is shown on all OS maps from 1834 onwards. Sometime during the 1800s, Brownrigg’s bridge was widened on its north side, presumably to accommodate the increasing volume of road traffic. A metal girder footbridge has recently been erected immediately south of the bridge to leave it free for traffic. It was designed by McAdam Stewart Architects (Banbridge), fabricated off-site, and lifted into place in September 2011. References – Primary sources: 1. W. Harris, The Ancient and Present State of the County of Down (1744). 2. PRONI OS/6/3/33/1. First edition OS six-inch map, Co Down sheet 33 (1834). 3. PRONI OS/6/2/14/1. First edition OS six-inch map, Co Armagh sheet 14 (1834-35). 4. PRONI OS/6/3/33/2. Second edition OS six-inch map, Co Down sheet 33 (1860). 5. PRONI OS/6/2/14/2. Second edition OS six-inch map, Co Armagh sheet 14 (1860). 6. PRONI OS/6/3/33/3. Third edition OS six-inch map, Co Down sheet 33 (1903). 7. PRONI OS/6/2/14/3. Third edition OS six-inch map, Co Armagh sheet 14 (1906). References – Secondary sources: 1. E.R. Green, The Industrial Archaeology of Co Down, p.69 (Belfast: HMSO, 1963). 2. W.A. McCutcheon, The Industrial Archaeology of N. Ireland, p.35 (Belfast: HMSO, 1980). 3. McAdam Stewart website, , accessed on 25 Nov 2011.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form F. Structural System H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest



Evaluation


Scarva Bridge is a 19th century single-span masonry road bridge over the Newry Canal. It is typical of other such bridges on this canal – narrow span, rubble masonry construction, arched deck and plain design. It is also of historical interest in dating from the canal’s refurbishment in the early 1800s. That it was widened later rather than replaced with a girder bridge is also of note. This is a good example of the type in well built masonry and original condition.

General Comments


There was a duplicate record HB17/03/054, which is now a dummy.

Date of Survey


23 November 2011