Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:

Extent of Listing:

Date of Construction:

Address :
Eight Mile Bridge Kilkeel Rd Hilltown Newry Co Down

Carcullion/ Ballymaghery

Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
22/09/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:

Former Use

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
J2176 2910

Owner Category

Central Govt

Exterior Description And Setting

This bridge carries the main Newry - Newcastle/ Castlewellan road over the Upper Bann River, immediately east of Hilltown. It comprises three semicircular spans, the middle one of which is slightly higher and wider than the other two. It is of random granite rubble, with dressed angled cutwaters which extend up the parapets on both sides, levelling off just below the copings. The voussoirs are also of dressed granite, as are the arch faces below the spring line. In the recent past a metal girder footbridge has been erected on the upstream (south) side It is supported on the existing piers (lowered accordingly), and on new dressed granite abutments. The original masonry parapets have been retained on either side of the carriageway, ribbon pointed internally and coped with concrete. The parapets are 45cm in width and the road 6.60m, making a total width of 7.50m (24ft 8in). There are no breaks in the soffits, piers or abutments indicating that it is a single build.


Not Known

Historical Information

The name of this bridge probably derives from its distance, in Irish Miles, from Newry. It is explicitly cited by name on maps by Moll (1714), Harris (1743) and Kennedy (1755). Although the use of rubble stonework accords with an 18th century date, the use of finely dressed stone is suggestive of a l9th century rebuild. Unfortunately there is no description in the 1830s' Ordnance Survey Memoir, so it cannot be determined if modifications were made before or after this date. Primary sources: 1. H. Moll (1714), A New Map of Ireland. 2. W. Harris (1743), A New and Correct Map of ye County of Down. 3. Kennedy’s map of Co Down, 1755 (PRONI: T1006/1). 4. 1st edition OS 6" map (Down sheet 48).

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion D. Plan Form F. Structural System H-. Alterations detracting from building

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest


The bridge is of historical interest in being on the main mailcoach road between Newry and Downpatrick. The arch configuration is also of interest.

General Comments

Date of Survey

10 February 1999