Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:

Extent of Listing:
Bridge and abutments.

Date of Construction:
1880 - 1899

Address :
Carrick Footbridge Carrick East Roe Valley Country Park Limavady Co Londonderry BT49 9HA

Carrick East

Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
25/08/1993 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:

Former Use

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
C6840 1815

Owner Category

Central Govt

Exterior Description And Setting

Light and delicate metal footbridge of the inverted bowstring type spanning a deep gorge of the River roe near Carrick Church (HB02/08/004). A path from the church descends 65 multiflight concrete steps to the bridge. 116 steps rise up from the bridge on the western bank on a path now part of the Roe Valley Country Park. The main span of the bridge is from the west bank where it is tied to the side, to a vertical support on top of a rock near the east bank. This span is 19.3 metres. A smaller span of eight metres is from this support to the east bank. The inverted bowstring design means that the supporting structure is under rather than above the timber deck. On each span a curved tie rod (dia. 50mm) forms a parabolic arch under the deck with vertical struts equally spaced between it and the deck. There are eight rods on the main truss and two on the smaller. The timber deck is flanked by L section angles 63 x 20mm which form the upper chord of the side trusses and support vertical balusters at 900mm centres. Underneath are angles (50 x 20mm) supporting the end and mid-point of the rotting timber planks. The handrail is made from a metal flat, curved on the top width 40mm. It is 1050mm above the deck. Between the balusters are diagonal side members and more recent wire mesh. The metal parts of the bridge are painted green. Its width is 750mm. There is a small twist over the length of the bridge measured by engineers as 160mm. Presently the timbers of the bridge are rotting and one is missing and another loose. The bridge can still be used with both hands firmly on the handrails and foot fall carefully chosen. However engineering reports do not recommend even this as the handrail has apparently been weakened by the detail chosen to fix it to each balustrade.


Not Known

Historical Information

Bridge first indicated on the 1905 Ordnance Survey Map. It is likely that it was built to facilitate parishioners of Carrick Church living on the west bank of the Roe, as half of that parish was located on this side of the river. One local resident has reported that the bridge was built by Limavady Rural District Council for the parishioners but this cannot be verified by council records which start in 1910 (see Report in Historic Buildings file by F W Hammond). The rural council did however take responsibility for maintaining the bridge for many years. After a particularly big flood of 1929 the bridge was badly twisted and was repaired in 1930. The structure was listed in 1992 and in 1998 was taken into the ownership of the D O E for inclusion in the Roe Valley Country Park. It has currently (August 1998 ) been removed for refurbishment by specialists. The work is being done under the direction of D O E Construction Service. References: F W Hammond Historic Buildings File Report - 29/10/92 Historic Buildings File Structural Report - I G Doran & Partners 16/5/97 Ordnance Survey Sheet 1904

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

B. Proportion C. Ornamentation F. Structural System G. Innovatory Qualities J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

W. Northern Ireland/International Interest X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance Z. Rarity


A very interesting bridge situated in a beautiful gorge of the River Roe. Lightly and delicately constructed it contrasts with the natural surroundings. It is of a very rare structural type considered possibly unique in Ireland, as a bow string above the deck is the more common solution, the appearance seems unaltered (with the exception of the wire mesh to the sides) from its initial construction. It is of local historical interest for its connection with the nearby church. It deserves to be preserved for the enjoyment of future generations.

General Comments

Date of Survey

09 March 1998