Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB19/01/027


Extent of Listing:
Former Post Office


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Roses Lane Ends Former Post Office 43 Crumlin Road Ballinderry Upper Lisburn County Antrim BT28 2JX


Townland:
Ballymacrevan






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
20/01/1992 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Post Office

Former Use
Post Office

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
Partially




OS Map No:
145/09

IG Ref:
J1333 7038





Owner Category


Private

Exterior Description And Setting


Detached corner-sited two-storey lime rendered former post office, built c.1830. Rectangular on plan facing south with single-bay two-storey rendered accretion abutting east gable and located on the north side of Crumlin Road. Pitched natural slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, two redbrick chimneystacks, redbrick parged verges and plastic rainwater goods. Rough-cast lime render over rubblestone walling. Boarded-up square-headed window and door openings with redbrick linings, timber lintels, concrete sills. Remnants of multi-pane timber sash windows to rear elevation. Front elevation has randomly-placed window openings with a pair of door openings. Enclosed front area at a lower level to the road enclosed by rendered wall with stone coping. To the west end of the wall is a cast-iron wall-mounted post-box with raised lettering; 'E R II' and royal insignia. Blank lime rendered west gable with redbrick chimneystack. North rear elevation has randomly-placed square-headed window openings, now blocked up with concrete blocks, having multi-pane timber sash windows to the first floor, timber casement to the ground floor and a blocked up square-headed door opening. East gable abutted by two-storey bay having natural slate roof and lime rendered walling with a square-headed loading bay to each floor having sheeted timber doors. Setting: Set on a crossroads with the front elevation fronting onto Crumlin Road and the east gable fronting onto Lough Road. Forming part of a collection of commercial nineteenth-century buildings, now disused. Roof Natural slate RWG Plastic Walling Lime render over rubblestone Windows Timber sash

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


The first Ordnance Survey map of 1832 records a single oblong building situated at the village crossroads in Roses Lane Ends a few miles north of Ballinderry. There is no visible change to the structure over the latter editions of the Ordnance Survey maps (1857 – 21), except that from 1901 the third edition records the building as a Post Office. Griffith’s Valuation (1856-64) records that the building was owned by an Arthur Thompson who let the property to Mr Edward Hopes. The property was valued at £6 and there was no change in this value by the end of the Annual Revisions in 1912. In 1863 the house temporarily became vacant, the valuer noted it was ‘out of repair,’ however, it was soon restored and occupied by Edward Johnston for a number of years until a Mr Samuel Patterson took over possession in 1889. Bassett, writing in 1888 described Roses Lane Ends as a ‘rural post office on a hill commanding a beautiful view of Lough Neagh’ the Post Master then listed as a Mr. H Patterson (Bassett, p. 252). In 1897 the building became vacant again and it was not until 1903 that a Hugh Clenaghan took over possession, himself being replaced in 1910 by Mr Albert Peel who also bought the property outright. The post office was used as a general shop in 1911 and was occupied by a Mr Samuel Buchanan. The census building return recorded the post office as a first class building which consisted of 12 occupied rooms; the post office also possessed a stable, a cow house, a shed and two stores as rear out offices although these have been taken down. Brett describes the building as a ‘late-Georgian shop and dwelling, perhaps of about 1820.’ In 1996 he believed that the property may have been valued in Griffith as a ‘public house and general shop’ of £4. in the possession of Edward Devlin, Griffith’s Valuation for Ballymacrevan merely described Devlins’ property as a ‘House, office and small garden’ (Brett, p. 261). The building was listed in 1992 when it was still used as a post office, however photographs of the building dated September 2009 show the former post office in poor repair and vacant with its windows boarded up; recent field research confirms that the building has fallen into a poor condition, overgrown with ivy and moss, although a small wall-mounted post box situated to the west end of the building still exists and is in continued use. References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI VAL/1/A/1/63 – Field Map c.1830 2. PRONI VAL/1/B/167 – Townland Valuation 3. PRONI OS/6/1/63/1 – First Edition OS Map 1832 4. PRONI OS/6/1/63/2 – Second Edition OS Map 1857 5. PRONI OS/6/1/63/3 – Third Edition OS Map 1900-1901 6. PRONI OS/6/1/63/4 – Fourth Edition OS Map 1920-1921 7. PRONI VAL/2/B/1/55 – Griffith’s Valuation 1859-60 8. PRONI VAL/12/B/8/8 A – Annual Revisions 1862-1863 9. PRONI VAL/12/B/8/8 B – Annual Revisions 1869-1881 10. PRONI VAL/12/B/8/8 C – Annual Revisions 1881-1994 11. PRONI VAL/12/B/8/8 D – Annual Revisions 1994-1912 12. Census of Ireland 1901 / 1911 Secondary Sources 1. Bassett, G. H., ‘The book of Antrim’ Belfast: Books Ulster, original publication 1888. 2. Brett, C. E. B., ‘Buildings of County Antrim’ Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1996.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


Detached corner-sited two-storey lime rendered former post office, built c.1830. A modestly scaled and detailed former post-office set on a crossroads among a collection of former commercial buildings serving the local rural community. Now vacant, the building retains its traditional external materials and although falling into disrepair, this former post office is an important commercial and social element for the local rural community.

General Comments




Date of Survey


10 November 2010