Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB03/02/010


Extent of Listing:
Bridge


Date of Construction:
1800 - 1819


Address :
Killyvally Bridge Bridge Street Garvagh Coleraine Co Londonderry BT51


Townland:
Ballynameen Garvagh






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
25/09/1978 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Bridge

Former Use
Bridge

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
Yes

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
41-05

IG Ref:
C8421 1587





Owner Category




Exterior Description And Setting


A four-span masonry arch bridge over the Agivey River at the east end of Garvagh. It is a two-phase construction, the earlier being on the downstream (north) side. The downstream section of the bridge is of random rubble basalt construction throughout; the stones are generally rounded suggesting that they were gleaned from the earth rather a quarry. The piers have angled cutwaters rising to arch spring level, with tapered tops. The four arches are of segmental profile and have split stone voussoirs. The two middle ones are slightly wider and higher than the end ones. The parapet has dressed stone copings with a small drain hole to the middle. It carries the name of the bridge on a metal plaque at its east end. There are plastic planters along the top of the parapet. There is a clear break along the abutments, piers and arch soffits between the down- and upstream sections of the bridge. The abutments, piers and arch soffits of the upstream section are of squared basalt rubble and the spandrels and parapets of undressed rubble. The angularity of the stonework on this face contrasts with the downstream side and indicates that it was quarried. There are curved cutwaters to the piers on this side, rising to arch spring level and capped with sandstone. The arches are of identical size and profile to the downstream ones, but have rock-faced voussoirs and squared rubble soffits. The parapet has dressed sandstone copings, a metal name plate at its west end, and planters along it. A small metal commemorative plaque (to someone who possibly drowned hereabouts) is also attached to the upstream spandrel above the middle pier. The slightly curved deck carries two lanes of traffic and a footpath along each parapet. An unsurfaced ramp bounded by a random rubble basalt wall (brought to courses) gives access to the upstream left bank. Just downstream is a low weir, undoubtedly built to minimise down cutting of the river bed in the vicinity of the bridge. Context At the upstream west end of the bridge is a graveyard. On the downstream side at this end is a car park, public toilets and drain outfall. There are gardens at both sides of the east end.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


A road is shown crossing the river at this location on Taylor & Skinner’s 1777 map and a bridge is clearly depicted on the 1832 OS six-inch map. The 1836 Ordnance Survey Memoir notes that the 18th C bridge had been swept away by a flood c.1802. It was rebuilt and is described in the memoir as being 15ft across and having five arches, including one at its east end for a tailrace from a corn mill just upstream on the right bank. It is explicitly cited as Killyvally Bridge on the 1848-53 map and subsequent editions. However, comparison of the 1905 map with the 1853 edition shows it to have been extended on its upstream side in the intervening period to its present width (c.30ft). References – Primary sources: 1. A. Taylor & G. Skinner, Maps of the Roads of Ireland, p.274 (1777). 2. PRONI OS/6/5/18/1. First edition OS six-inch map, Co Londonderry sheet 18 (1832). 3. OS Memoir for Desertoghill Parish (1836). Reprinted as A. Day & P. McWilliams (eds), Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland: Parishes of County Londonderry VIII, East Londonderry, p.16 (Belfast: Institute of Irish Studies, 1994). 4. PRONI OS/6/5/18/2. Second edition OS six-inch map, Co Londonderry sheet 18 (1848-53). 5. PRONI OS/10/5/18/15/1. First edition OS 25-inch map, Co Londonderry sheet 18-15 (1905).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form F. Structural System J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest R. Age S. Authenticity



Evaluation


Killyvally Bridge is an early 19th century four-arch masonry road bridge over the Agivey River which was widened to its present form in the later 19th century. It is primarily of interest in exhibiting two contrasting architectural styles which reflect their respective periods of construction: the plain random rubble early 19th C downstream section and more finely executed later 19th C upstream part. The bridge is also of local historical interest as being on the main road into Garvagh from the east.

General Comments


Listing Criteria R - Age; and S - Authenticity also apply.

Date of Survey


10 December 2012