Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB11/07/011


Extent of Listing:
Bridge


Date of Construction:
1920 - 1939


Address :
Deverney Bridge Deverney Road Beragh Sixmilecross Omagh BT79 0LZ


Townland:
Deverney / Deroran






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
08/07/1991 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Bridge

Former Use
Bridge

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
Yes

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
138-7

IG Ref:
H5105 7085





Owner Category


Local Govt

Exterior Description And Setting


A three-span reinforced concrete road-over-river bridge, built c.1930, carrying Deverney Road over Camowen River. Central swept arch span crosses the river and is flanked by two square-headed spans over grass embankments; Concrete deck is supported beneath by concrete beams and connected to arch by cast concrete vertical columns. Solid concrete parapet walls have recessed panels and flat coping; projecting rectangular piers to ends. The single carriageway is approximately four metres wide. The bridge shows the use of innovative engineering technology, with an open spandrel deck arch structure. Setting The bridge is located on the Deverney Road in the rural landscape north-east side of Edenderry village. Grass embankments to all sides. Bridge abutted at south by random rubble retaining wall to west road edge. Roof N/A Walling Concrete Windows N/A RWG N/A

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


The bridge replaces earlier bridges captioned “Deverney Bridge” on the first three editions of the ordnance survey map. Hamond suggests that the bridge is probably designed by J.W. Leebody. (HMBB files, 1994) According to Rynne, “It was not until the closing years of the nineteenth century that reinforced (ferro) concrete came into its own through the work of Frenchman Francois Hennebique… In 1903, Julius Kahn, an American engineer, patented a reinforcing bar, which led to the development of the Kahn system of reinforced concrete…The earliest-known example of the use of the Kahn system in Ireland appears to be the King’s bridge on the Lagan embankment, which was opened to traffic in 1912.” (p.173-4) References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/6/35/1-3 – Ordnance Survey Maps (1833, 1854, 1906) Secondary Sources 1. Rynne, C ‘Industrial Ireland 1750-1930 – An archaeology’, Collins Press, 2006 2. Hamond, F. W. County Council Records. HMBB files. 11th Sept 1994.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form F. Structural System J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest



Evaluation


A three-span reinforced concrete road-over-river bridge, built c.1930, carrying Deverney Road over Camowen River. The bridge is located in a rural area to the north-east of the Edenderry village. Its interest lies in the bold concrete structure and central swept arch; the bridge is a robust example of early-twentieth century engineering work and is of significant technical merit. It is unusual among the many stone bridges in the district.

General Comments




Date of Survey


02 February 2009