Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB09/06/014 A


Extent of Listing:
Building


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Manor House 28 High Street Moneymore Magherafelt Co Londonderry BT45 7


Townland:
Moneymore






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
01/10/1975 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hotel

Former Use
House

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
109/5

IG Ref:
H8577 8348





Owner Category


Miscellaneous

Exterior Description And Setting


A 5 bay wide, 3 storey high building, basement, 2 small 1 bay wide wings with shallow back returns. The principal elevation is symmetrical with central projecting porch with pair of Tuscan columns and respond pilasters supporting on entablature. A 4 panel framed and moulded door with deep fanlight divided into 9 panes. The central 3 bays form a breakfront with at ground floor a 12 pane double hung sliding sash window with stone cill and horizontal cornice hood moulding on each side of porch. At 1st floor 3 no. 12 pane double hung sliding sash similar windows with wider horizontal cornice hood moulding carried on corbel brackets. At 2nd floor 3 no. 12 pane double hung sliding sash windows and above a frieze band continuing over 3 bays with heavy cornice of equal length and over a balustraded parapet. On each side of breakfront a tripartite pedimented window with double hung sliding sash subdivided into 12 pane and 4 pane. At 1st floor similar tripartite without pediment but with horizontal cornice hood supported on corbel brackets and the same again at 2nd floor. Walls terminate in low solid parapets but lower than the central balustrading. Natural slated roof with moulded gable chimney stacks with 2 more centred on roof ridge and in line with breakfront. Wall smooth rendered and painted. The low wing to the S contains a crudely pedimented doorway with gate piers and double gates adjoining while the wing to the N is L shaped in plan and has several windows and because of the fall in the ground has a flight of steps ascending to it. Adjoining it also a pair of gate piers and metal gates leading into yard behind now devoid of outbuildings except one former stable structure. The N & S gables are windowless except for the wing porches, smooth rendered and painted with central chimney stacks. The rear elevation has a recently erected back return 4 floors high with lean-to roof. The return occupies a bay and a half and has double hung sliding sash 2 pane windows at each landing level with similar windows on flanking walls. The main block has 12 pane double hung sliding sash windows to each floor and bay. Wall terminates in a solid parapet. The N wing has a rectangular projecting bay with large tripartite window contained between clasping buttresses. Beneath it a single 4 pane double hung sliding sash window. The S wing returns round the rear of the main block to abut the back return and has a large tripartite window with 2, 4 pane double hung sliding sash windows under. Both wings have flat roofs with low parapets. All walls are smooth rendered and painted. No. 28 High Street is a large detached building, called the Manor house at the N end of High Street where Smith and Lawford Street meet it. To the front there is an area with low wall and steps ascend to main porch and 2 basement windows can be seen towards the N end. Much of the outbuildings to the rear have been demolished. In the garden there is an interesting large scale model of the 17th cent. Plantation town of Moneymore.

Architects


Booth, William John

Historical Information


The mansion or manor house was built by the Drapers Company in 1835 and designed by W.J. Booth. It is described in the O.S. Memoirs “It is a handsome end spacious mansion, 3 storey, with a lesser wing at each end. It is built of cut sandstone and has a portico supported by massive stone columns”. The lesser wings were 2 storeys high (see elevation in Curl’s Moneymore and Draperstown p. 59). The cut sandstone was probably similar to that of the market house of 1839. In 1875 alterations were carried out, the wings gaining additional floors and the centre part receiving the cornice and balustrading parapet over and lost its stone facing which was not plastered over. “The Deputation visited Moneymore (1875), where the renovated Manor House was ready for reception, but the plaster was not dry ….. The Agent was complimented on having the building ready on time”. Featherstone of Belfast was the architect being appointed in 1873. Walter Trevor Stannus had succeeded Rowley Miller as agent. The Company disposed of the Manor House c 1900. In 1882 Sir William Fitzwilliam Conynghan was appointed agent. The Bell family resided in the building and many pieces of furniture can be seen at No. 12 Circular Road. Later the Manor House became hotel/restaurant. Today it is being converted into a hostel with the assistance of Lottery funds through the Townscape Heritage Initiative and administered locally by the Moneymore Heritage Trust Limited. Building listed 1975. In recent renovations the building has lost its former substantial projecting porch. The present porch is a repeat of that on the Drapers Arms or Doctor’s house. References Primary Sources 1. O.S. Map 1832 Londonderry sh. 46. 2. O.S. Map 1832 Rev. 1856 Londonderry sh. 46. 3. O.S. Memoirs of Ireland, Parishes of Co Londonderry XI, 1821, 1833, 1836-7 p. 38. Ed. by Angelique Day and Patrick McWilliams Q.U.B. 4. Curl J.S. Moneymore and Draperstown UAHS p. 58, 59 5. Curl J.S. The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 p. 203, 221, 226, 230 6. Notes, 1st Survey, E.H.S. Hill Street, Belfast 7. Moneymore Heritage Trust Ltd Secondary Sources 1. Rowan A, North West Ulster, Buildings of Ireland p. 424 2. Lewis, Topographical History of Ireland p. 387

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance V. Authorship X. Local Interest



Evaluation


A dominating tour-de-force in Moneymore’s High Street in Neo-Classical style, recently renovated and gaily painted. Retains its substantial building form of 1835 but has lost much of its character to the rear and its outbuildings. Much of its interior has been rearranged to suit new function.

General Comments




Date of Survey


21 November 2001