Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB12/02/002 E


Extent of Listing:
Building and machinery


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Turf House Crom Estate Newtownbutler Co Fermanagh BT92 8AP


Townland:
Crom






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
01/04/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Estate Related Structures

Former Use
Estate Related Structures

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
260/12

IG Ref:
H3592 2481





Owner Category


Heritage

Exterior Description And Setting


A large one-storey/ single-bay building aligned N-S on the shore of Upper Lough Erne; a small dock adjoins to the east. It is built into the bank such that more of the gable is exposed on the water side than on the land side. Pitched natural slate building, with exposed rafter tails, plain bargeboards and no gutters. Walls of random limestone rubble brought to courses, with finely dressed quoins and ope surrounds. The south gable contains the principal entrance. Set into a segmental-headed opening is a pair of cast-iron gated with spear-headed finials and dogbars; they are stamped 'R. Turner Dublin'. Leading into the building are two parallel bogey rails of 63cm gauge. The west elevation has a window to centre and two identical windows to its left. All are side-hung casements, each with 2x4 panes. All have rendered cement flat heads, jambs and flush cills. To the top left of the second window from left is a flat metal pulley (supported on a bearing set into the wall). To bottom right of the right-hand window is a t+g shuttered opening with finely dressed head - this apparently gives access into a low basement. Just outside, towards the right, a large concrete block, apparently a mounting for a former stone crusher, now gone; this was driven from an engine inside the building via the aforementioned pulley. The north gable is blank. Two water pipes ascend vertically from the lake and enter the building. The east elevation has four regularly-spaced semicircular-headed openings. That at left is a doorway, with a pair of t+g timber doors. The second and fourth from left have been infilled and single 2x4 timber casements inserted. The third has been completely infilled. Flanking each side of the end window at right is a metal exhaust pipe from the internal engines. Also on this side is a small boat dock, with squared limestone block walls laid to courses to three sides.

Architects


Blore, Edward

Historical Information


This building was erected in the period 1835-1840 for storing peat cut from elsewhere on the estate and brought by boat to a small quay depicted on the 1834 OS 6" map. It was apparently designed by Edward Blore, who was also responsible for the castle (HB12/02/002). The building ceased to be used to store peat in the 1860s and the arcade along the east elevation was infilled. The present dock was built in 1862-63 as a replacement for the earlier quay. However, when the lough was lowered in the 1880s, it became redundant. Around 1865 an engine was installed to pump water into the castle. Towards the end of the century, hand-operated saw milling equipment was also installed. The roof was destroyed by fire in the early 1900s and rebuilt. In 1926, new pumping and saw milling equipment was installed, all driven by Blackstone and Gardner engines. Saw milling continued until the 1950s. The building was restored (and re-roofed) by the National Trust in 1989. Primary sources 1. OS 6" map, 1st edition 1834, Co Fermanagh sheet 39 (PRONI OS 6/4/39/1). Secondary sources: 1. T. Reeves-Smyth, Crom Castle Demesne (National Trust, 1990).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest



Evaluation


This building is of some architectural interest and, along with the adjoining dock contributed to the landscape hereabouts and is an important element of the estate’s built stock. The turf house’s principal interest lies, however, in the remarkable completeness of its array of machinery, all of which demonstrates the evolution of the castle’s water supply and estate saw milling operations over the past century. Nowhere else in the Province is there such an assemble of equipment, all of which is in excellent order, under the one roof.

General Comments


This record was previously numbered HB12/02/005.

Date of Survey


12 December 2000