Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB03/18/009


Extent of Listing:
Bank


Date of Construction:
1920 - 1939


Address :
Bank of Ireland 1-2 The Diamond Coleraine Co. Londonderry BT52 1DE


Townland:
Coleraine






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
22/06/1977 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Bank

Former Use
Bank

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
Yes

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
13-13NW3

IG Ref:
C8483 3238





Owner Category


Financial

Exterior Description And Setting


An asymmetrical three-storey corner-terrace bank, built c.1923 by Tulloch and Fitzsimons. Located on the junction of The Diamond and Stone Row, the ground floor and dressings are in ashlar limestone, with the upper floors in roughcast. Roughly rectangular on plan comprising a public bank on the ground floor, which is interconnected with the two-storey gabled building abutting to the south. A further, single-storey proportion extends southward. Pitched, slate roof with lead covered ridges; roughcast chimneys to gables having terracotta pots; modern skylight and three air-conditioning vents to south-side. Replacement metal ogee rainwater goods to all elevations (except western) mounted on continuous projecting modillion eaves course; decorative hopper reading ‘1922’ to north-west and downpipe to south-east is embedded in wall, behind string-course. Modillions to overhanging east gable, creating a triangular pediment with an oculus to centre, set within raised round-arched architrave, surmounted with projecting keystone and hood mould. Walling is ashlar, horizontally channelled limestone to ground floor, over projecting base-course; incised giant pilasters with decorative laurel wreathes frame the roughcast upper floors; dressings are in limestone. Windows are generally square-headed 1/1 replacement timber sashes within chamfered stone architraves (unless otherwise stated); continuous moulded sill-course to first floor windows. Two square-headed door openings to north side, having replacement double-leaf six-panel timber doors with multi-light thick-framed transom over; slightly chamfered reveal to upper proportions, with vestiges of decorative carvings to north-west door-case. Principal elevation faces north and comprises two outer doorways with two mullioned and transomed windows to centre. Windows are timber frame with multi-light upper portions; moulded mullions are supported on stone plinth, within splayed reveals. Two tripartite windows divided by thick mullions to first floor; four single windows across upper floor, having a common sill course and projecting chamfered columns as architraves. East elevation is asymmetrical and gabled with three matching windows to ground floor; remaining two windows to upper floors are in plain architraves, that on second floor is diminutive. Decorative iron and copper lamp fitted to south-east corner. Limited inspection of south elevation indicates it is blank and is almost entirely abutted by associated gabled two-storey building to the south. West elevation is abutted by neighbouring terrace, visible gable is smooth rendered. Setting Located in an urban
setting on a prominent site to the south-eastern corner of The Diamond, Coleraine, with the east elevation and associated abutments fronting directly onto Stone Row. Access to the main building is via concrete steps to the eastern door on the principal elevation (north); universal access is through a replacement timber sheeted door in the southern single-storey abutment. The building is in close proximity to a number of historic structures within the Diamond including the Town Hall (HB03/18/001), the War Memorial (HB03/18/026) and No.24 (HB03/18/004). Two-storey roughcast building, (mid 20th century) abuts to south elevation of main building, with gabled east elevation rising above eaves, slated roof, replacement metal rainwater goods. Windows in plain rendered architraves, having concrete sills; two at ground floor matching those of main building and single 1/1 sash above. Gable of similarly detailed single-storey building abuts to south elevation; having a replacement, timber sheeted door; two plain sashes to left and an enlarged window to right, similar to ground floor windows of main building. These buildings form part of the bank accommodation but are of little interest. Roof: Slate RWG : Replacement metal Walling: Stone & pebbledash Windows: Replacement timber sashes/casement


Architects


Tulloch & Fitzsimons

Historical Information


The Coleraine branch of the Bank of Ireland was constructed in 1922-3 to designs by Nicholas Fitzsimons and continues in operation as a branch of the bank (Girvan). The Bank of Ireland was established in Dublin in 1783, as the country’s first public bank, licensed to issue its own banknotes and appointed to act as government banker. Until 1825 all the bank’s business centred around its Dublin office, but increasing competition compelled it to open branches around the country and it continued to do so throughout the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The first branch to be established at Coleraine, opened in 1904 (Irish Times) but the present building was constructed following partition when the bank had been appointed official banker to the Irish Government (Pohl and Freitag). The new premises, comprising a branch office and agent’s residence, were built on the site of a licensed house and are first shown on the fourth edition OS map (1923). The building entered valuation records in 1924 as a ‘bank house, offices and yard’ valued at £150. The Irish Builder of June 1923 reported the completion of the new building which was of stone and brick with three storeys and a basement in front and a two storey return. The two main elevations were faced with Ham Hill stone, shipped from Yeovil, with dressings of the same material on upper storeys, and four pilasters at the quoins were surmounted with wreaths which were carved in situ. The office accommodation and equipment was reported to be ‘on the most modern lines’. The contractors were Messrs Wm Dowling and Co Ltd, Belfast and the clerk of works Mr Frank H Pearse, Trowbridge. Tulloch and Fitzsimons, of Belfast were the architects and the cost was £10,000 (Girvan). Valuer’s notes of the 1930s record that the building was centrally heated to the ground floor and that the accommodation comprised, in the basement, a strong room, heating chamber and store room; on the ground floor, a public office, manager’s room, lavatories, a porter’s room and kitchen, scullery and pantry and on the first and second floors accommodation for the manager who lived on the premises; three receptions, four bedrooms, a butler’s pantry, bathroom and WC. To the rear of the bank building was a garage for the manager’s motor vehicle. The building was listed in 1977 and has remained in continuous use as a branch of the Bank of Ireland. It has been preserved largely as originally built despite significant bomb damage in 1992 which entailed repairs and reconstruction to chimneys and pediment. Restoration was carried out using Ham Hill stone from the original Somerset quarry. However, changes since the first survey photograph of the 1970s include replacement windows to the ground and first floors and the opening of a second doorway on the left of the main elevation. Interior refurbishment took place in 2013 (HB file). References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/5/7/1 First Edition OS Map 1830 2. PRONI OS/6/5/7/2 Second Edition OS map 1849-50 3. PRONI OS/6/5/7/3 Third Edition OS Map 1904 4. PRONI OS/6/5/7/4 Fourth Edition OS Map 1923 5. PRONI OS/6/5/7/5 Fifth Edition OS Map 1949 6. PRONI VAL/12/B/30/9A-N Annual Revisions (1864-1929) 7. PRONI VAL/3/C/6/4 First General Revaluation 1933-57 8. PRONI VAL/3/D/6/2/A/5First General Revaluation 1933-57 9. HB file – 03/18/009 10. Irish Builder 16th June 1923 p464-6 11. Irish Times 23rd January 1904 Secondary Sources 1. Girvan, W D “Historic Buildings, Groups of Buildings, Areas of Architectural Importance in Coleraine and Portstewart” Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1971-2 2. Pohl, M, Freitag, S eds “Handbook on the History of European Banks” Aldershot: Edward Elgar Publishing, 1994

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest R. Age S. Authenticity T. Historic Importance



Evaluation


A substantial, ornately detailed three-storey, asymmetrical bank building, located at the junction of Stone Row and The Diamond, Coleraine. Constructed c.1923, to the designs of Nicholas Fitzsimons, of Tulloch & Fitzsimons, the imposing form dominates the south-east corner of The Diamond. Characterised by the application of classical devices and decorative carving, using Ham Hill stone shipped from Yeovil, the building constitutes one of finest surviving early 20th century commercial buildings in Coleraine.

General Comments


Listing Criteria R - Age; S - Authenticity and T - Historic Importance also apply.

Date of Survey


31 January 2013