Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB03/03/032


Extent of Listing:
House and outbuilding


Date of Construction:
1780 - 1799


Address :
Landmore House 126 Agivey Road Coleraine Co. Londonderry BT51 4DT


Townland:
Landmore






Survey 2:
B+

Date of Listing:
25/05/1976 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
House

Former Use
House

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
31-15

IG Ref:
C8983 1848





Owner Category


Private

Exterior Description And Setting


A symmetrical double-pile two-storey three-bay late eighteenth-century house with basement and attic, five windows wide, located on the west side of Agivey Road, Aghadowey. Rectangular on plan, with farm buildings to south and gate lodge to south entrance. Pitched natural slate roof with valley concealed by brick parapets to sides; brick chimneystacks to gables each with moulded masonry caps and octagonal clay pots. Half round cast iron rainwater goods on cavetto moulded eaves enriched with dentil moulding, over a frieze with scroll motif. Walling is Flemish-bonded red brick over a tooled masonry string course at basement level; basement is coursed squared rubble with galleting. Windows are generally 6/6 timber sash without horns, in slightly projecting painted rendered reveals with flat brick arches over; basement windows are generally 3/3 with horns, having brick dressings. Tooled stone cills throughout. Symmetrical east elevation is five windows wide, arranged about central segmental-arched entrance comprising replacement hardwood entrance door flanked by fluted pilasters with festooned capitals, geometric sidelights and surmounted by large spider-web fanlight, divided by all embraced by semi-engaged columns with foliate capitals and having moulded masonry archivolt over; addressed by a flight of seven replacement concrete steps bridging basement, with tiled platform, flanked by steel railings. Central first floor window flanked by 2/2 sidelights. South elevation has three windows, vertically aligned to left of centre, lighting secondary stair at each half-landing; right pile has two 6/3 attic windows; diminutive 2/2 window to attic at left side. Rear elevation has irregular fenestration, with later lean-to two-storey sanitary extension to left of centre, and central round-headed principal stairwell window at half-landing level over small window lighting store. Right bay has a uPVC door flanked by ground floor windows and accessed by three modern steps bridging basement; first floor windows aligned over. Left bay is ruled-and-lined cement rendered to ground floor, lit by a window and having modern garden door insertion at left side; two windows to first floor. The extension is lit by a 2/2 window to first floor and later window to ground floor (contained within an additional lean-to outshot at left cheek). Basement is exposed to right bay only; replacement door with sidelights to centre, reached by a set of concrete steps, and two windows beneath right bay. North elevation has two windows to each floor including attic, irregularly arranged. Those to ground floor are later 2/2 sashes with horns, with evidence of re-sized openings. Setting: The house is set on a rural elevated site overlooking Agivey Road, with pasture to front. Tarmac forecourt and concrete yard to rear flanked by small outbuildings of little historic interest. Farmyard to south, fronted by a long two-storey outbuilding with pitched natural slate roof and rubble stone walling having some galleting and brick eaves; the façade is plain, pierced only by two reconfigured square openings (without glazing) flanking a central coach arch, and a series of ventilation loops at high level; cobbled surface to coach arch; the yard-elevation has been remodeled and repaired with concrete block. Stables and stores are of limited historic interest. The site is accessed via tree-lined avenues from Agivey Road at east and Mullaghinch Road to north. The eastern entrance has a single-storey gate-lodge on half-hexagonal plan; hipped natural slate roof with central brick chimney; brick walling with pebbledashed cement render over; enlarged openings having replacement metal-framed windows and replacement door. Plainly detailed interior with wall hearth, all cement rendered. Roof: Slate Walling: Redbrick Windows: Timber sash RWG: Cast iron

Architects




Historical Information


Landmore House is built of characteristic Agivey brick on stone foundations and is shown, uncaptioned, on the first edition OS map of 1831-2 occupying much the same plan form as today, with outbuildings forming a stable courtyard to the south. A gatelodge (still present) is shown to the east, built c1810 (Dean) The house was constructed c1788 by Alexander Orr, a linen mill owner, and descended in due course to his son George who took the maiden name of his mother, Dunbar. (Dean; Mullin) George Dunbar was MP for Belfast from 1835 to 1841 and subsequently became Belfast’s first mayor in 1842 (the title of ‘Sovereign’ was used before this date). (Bardon) The Townland Valuation (1828-40) records Mr Alexander Orr resident in the house which is valued at £32. However, by 1836 George Dunbar Esq was resident in the house which commanded ‘a rich view of the county of Antrim and the river Bann. Its winding course appears with good effect at the bottom of the lawn above the plantations that surround it’. (OS Memoirs) According to the Memoirs the house, which was of brick, was large, three storeys high and had an ‘ample court’. The eight acres of ornamental grounds boasted an ‘excellent garden and greenhouse’. No significant additions had been made to it by the 1830s. Also of interest to the Georgians was a so-called ‘druidical altar’ or Neolithic tomb ‘about a gunshot from Landmore House’ that had been overturned by a ‘peasant thinking that he would find money under the pillars’. The plantations around the house were laid out by Alexander Orr. (OS Memoirs) Griffith’s Valuation (1856-64) finds George Dunbar still resident, with the house and outbuildings, valued at £30, situated on a plot of over 102 acres. The house then passed to Rev James Henry Orr, before being taken over by Francis C Watney in 1877. Francis’s widow, Elizabeth Watney, was present in the house at the time of the 1901 census, with her son, a Lieutenant in the fourth battalion Royal Irish Rifles. The family had two live-in servants, a cook and a house/parlour maid and the 15-room house was designated first class. (1901 census; valuation records) Landmore was subsequently taken over by Josiah A Lyons and then sold to Major David Maitland Maitland- Titterton (1904-1988) of the Ayrshire Yeomanry in 1945 for £2,750. (Valuation records; Gravestone Musselburgh Scotland) In the First General Revaluation of the 1930s the house was assessed as solidly constructed and in fairly good order but it was thought that ‘considerable expenditure will be necessary to modernise the residence and instal bathrooms and water supplies’, water being obtained from a rainwater tank in the roof and by hand pump. Accommodation comprised, in the basement: a dairy, engine room, coal and wine cellars and a disused kitchen and scullery, on the ground floor: a large entrance hall, three receptions, kitchen, scullery, larder and cloakrooms, on the first floor: six bedrooms and a boxroom and five disused attic rooms approached by a secondary staircase for use by the servants. In 1944 it was noted that the basement storey was built of heavy masonry and the upper superstructure of bricks. (Valuation records) The character of the built heritage of Aghadowey and Agivey owes a great deal to local brick production, which is known to have taken place here since at least the early seventeenth century. George Canning, the agent of the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers, records in 1615 the manufacture of bricks at a kiln across the Bann from Agivey where they were to be brought in order to complete the upper floors of a stone-built castle for the Ironmongers. (Hill) Brick production flourished and the first edition OS maps (1830s) of the area show brickfields all along the River Bann south of Coleraine, the accompanying OS Memoirs commenting on the brick made in the grange [parish] of Agivey, which was used to construct local vernacular housing. The bricks were brought up the River Bann to Coleraine and sold for 10s per 1,000. (OS Memoirs) The Parliamentary Gazetteer reports in 1846 that coarse earthenware, bricks and tiles were made ‘in considerable quantity from a clay which abounds [in Agivey]’ and a ‘Potters Kiln’ and ‘Potters Field’ are shown on the second edition map of the 1850s in a settlement called ‘Brick Hill’ at Mullaghmore (Agivey parish). Brick production appears to have slackened off during the second half of the nineteenth century, but brick kilns and clay pits are still shown on the third edition OS maps of c1900 in the wider area around Agivey. Brick has been the building material of choice for much of the vernacular and more formalised housing that might otherwise have been of rubblestone construction and is a distinctive feature of this area. The house was listed in 1976 and repairs and renovations took place in the 1970s and 80s. (HB file) References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/5/19/1 First Edition OS Map 1831-2 2. PRONI OS/6/5/19/2 Second Edition OS map 1849-53 3. PRONI OS/6/5/19/3 Third Edition OS Map 1904-5 4. PRONI OS/6/5/19/4 Fourth Edition OS Map 1924-27 5. PRONI VAL/1/B/51 Townland Valuation (1828-40) 6. PRONI VAL/12/B/30/2A-FAnnual Revisions (1864-1929) 7. PRONI VAL/3/C/6/1 First General Revaluation 1933-57 8. PRONI VAL/3/D/6/3/B/3 First General Revaluation 1933-57 9. Griffith’s Valuation online 10. 1901/1911 census online 11. HB file – 03/03/032 12. Gravestone, Musselburgh Scotland 13. Parliamentary Gazetteer 1846 Secondary Sources 1. Bardon, J “Belfast, An Illustrated History” Belfast: Blackstaff Press, 1982 2. Day, A., P. McWilliams, English L., eds. “OS Memoirs of Ireland, Parishes of County Londonderry VI, 1831, 1833, 1835-6, Vol. 22.” Belfast: Institute of Irish Studies, 1993. 3. Day, A., P. McWilliams, English L., eds. “OS Memoirs of Ireland, Parishes of County Londonderry XII, 1829-30, 1832, 1834-6, Vol. 33.” Belfast: Institute of Irish Studies, 1995. 4. Dean, J. A. K. “The Gate Lodges of Ulster: A Gazetteer.” Belfast: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1994. 5. Hill, Rev George “An Historical Account of the Plantation in Ulster at the Commencement of the Seventeenth Century, 1608-1620” Belfast, McCaw, Stevenson & Orr, 1877 6. Mullin, Rev T H “Aghadowey, A Parish and its Linen Industry” Belfast, 1972 7. Thompson, R “Garvagh and Aghadowey Heroes 1914-18” Bushmills: Robert Thompson, 2008

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

W. Northern Ireland/International Interest



Evaluation


Landmore House is a fine mid-Georgian double-pile brick house with basement and attic, set on a prominent elevated site overlooking Agivey Road, Aghadowey. The house is classically proportioned, of five windows wide composed on symmetrical plan about an elegant segmental doorcase with original fanlight and geometric sidelights. Distinguished by good brickwork, locally made, contrasting with galletted blackstone basement, and enlivened by subtle ornamentation, the house is a fine example of a middle-sized country house of the period, retaining much of its original aspect and enhanced by the remaining formal outbuilding and gate lodge. It was also the home of George Dunbar, Belfast's first Mayor in 1842.

General Comments


Listing Criteria R - Age; S - Authenticity; T - Historic Importance and U - Historic Associations also apply.

Date of Survey


10 October 2012