Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:
HB02/06/007 A

Extent of Listing:

Date of Construction:
1780 - 1799

Address :
Pellipar House Dungiven Co Londonderry BT47 4LY


Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
28/03/1975 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Country House

Former Use
Country House

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
C6875 1057

Owner Category


Exterior Description And Setting

A 7 bay wide country house with forward projecting pavilions and bays, 2 storeys with attic floor, steep pitched roofs, basement, circular stair to rear with conical roof and back return in minor French chateau style. The entrance and principal façade faces north, symmetrical, with central semi-circular arched doorway with sidescreens. On either side there are 2 no./12 pane double hung sliding sash windows which are repeated on the 1st floor but less tall. Over the doorway a tripartite window with centre 12 pane double hung sliding sash and an elliptical fanlight. Cills are in line but fanlight rises above window heads on either side. The centre 5 bays are smooth rendered and painted. The projecting wide end bays are matching with ground floor centred canted bay with solid parapet having coat of arms plaque. The bays have 3 windows each 2 pane double hung sliding sash,. the centre one much wider than those on the cant. Moulded stringcourses define the parapets. Above the canted bays there is a large tripartite window with semi-circular head. It has a single pane bottom sash with a 9 panetop sash.. The projecting end bays are faced with coursed ashlar sandstone while the cant bay is rendered and painted. Between the projecting end bays 3 steps rise to a stone flagged terrace before the entrance door and the centre 5 bays. The terrace projects beyond the line of the end bays and has 2 low parapets on either side of the entrance steps. The roof has a straight parapet ridge terminating at each end against high pyramidal roofs over the end pavilions. These latter roofs have neat metal cresting on their short ridges with decorative metal finials. Over the central 5 bay portion 3 large gabled dormers rise from slightly above gutter level, their fronts in plane with the wall below. There are wide sash windows with lower sash 2 panes and upper sash having 18 small square panes. The window is flanked with broad fluted pilasters and scrolls rising from flat pedestals and supporting a deep plain frieze over the sash. The pedimented gable is slightly narrower than the frieze. The pyramidal roofs have single similar dormers. The roofs are neatly and subtly splayed out to gutter and the whole façade makes a happy pleasing composition. Above and behind the centre ridge can be observed in the centre the apex of the staircase conical roof and on either side 2 huge chimney stacks with panelled brickwork. Neat bracketed lantern lights occur over the doorway and at the inner corners of the pavilions. The coat of arms are those of the Ogilby family and moulded coping of the bay parapet curves slightly upwards over the symbol. The eastern gable is 2 bays wide with 12 pane sliding sash windows at ground level with exposed sash boxes and above similar windows of less height. All match those on the centre of the main façade. The windows on the ground floor show exposed sash boxes because these are additional sashes formed external to the inner sashes. Further these ground floor windows have broad plain architraves which are cover moulds to the projecting additional sashes. 2 similar dormers adorn the gable hips. Stonework is coursed rough ashlar sandstone with slightly projecting joints. The roof overhang is ample with ogee guttering and the soffit panelled with scrolls between. The long wall of the back return is in line with the gable with a lower roofline, 4 bays long with similar ground floor windows without external sash and above 8 pane sliding sash windows all lighting the ballroom behind. The low pitched slated roof is hipped with a leaded flat over the bay adjoining the main block (a device to reduce the overshadowing of the first floor rear bedroom window). Ridge and hips are leaded and the stonework of varying course heights with flush smeared joints. The roof overhangs less than the main block with soffit supported on plain rectangular corbels. Gutters ogee and downpipes are round whereas the main block has rectangular downpipes with great moulded trunkheads into which swannecks pour. There is a straight joint between the stonework of the main block gable and return and the coursing does not match. The gable of the back return is 1 bay wide. To the west corner projects a wall far enough to allow a timber framed conservatory with flat roof to be constructed in the angle. The conservatory has a comparatively low cill with panelling below and art-deco like glazing above with mixture of semi-circular astragals interspersed with small panes. A pair of doors gives access to the rear lawn. Above the conservatory and central on the gable a tripartite window of 10 panes with head and cill in line with the high level windows on the east side. In the corner above the conservatory there is a tallish yellow brick chimney with 2 chimney ports. Probably served another conservatory now removed as well as the existing. The rear or south elevation of the main block is entirely smooth rendered and dominated by the semi-circular staircase tower with its conical slated roof topped with a restrained lead capping. To the west side and short of the gable there is a rectangular projection containing toilets etc rising high above the soffit line with its flat roof level with the tower eaves. Between it and the tower a solid parapet is formed while to the east of the tower the eaves reverts to its 2 storey height and the slated roof exposed which is in the same plane as that over the E pavilion. Similar single dormer windows are on the roofs of the pavilions. There is a great variety of square headed sliding sash windows on this rear façade, some small paned, a few large pane, 2 round headed, another segmental and 2 stained glass. Those on the circular tower follow the line of the spiral stair within. The roof of the tower rises above the ridge of the main block and a door from it gives access to a flat roof which extends between the 2 great chimney stacks. The ridges, in fact, are 2, one to the N and the other to the S, a clever device to make an interesting and satisfactory roof line. An additional smaller chimney rises with the rectangular toilet block. Between this block and the circular tower, at ground floor level, is a lean-to roof to a connecting corridor between kitchen, dining room and servants stairs (ne’er the two shall meet) with external door. The kitchen, a flat roofed structure, is tucked in the angle formed by the main block and the back return and thrust up against the high stone wall of the back return. This staircase has modern flat headed windows. It is a comparatively recent replacement for a former conservatory. The west gable is 3 bays wide and 3 floors high. The lower floor is the basement which has a narrow area in front of it. At basement level there are 2 round headed door openings and one semi-circular window. These give access to barrel vaulted small compartments each interconnected. The architrave of the arch is decorated with egg and dart and filleted astragal. At ground level 3 round headed 12 pane sliding sash windows (2 light the morning room, the other lights the servants stairs). At first floor there are 3 square headed 12 pane sliding sash windowss. The roofline of the main façade returns on this gable and returns on the rear elevation and stops against the toilet block. Above the roofline there is a centrally placed single dormer as the others, but narrower. The S W roof arrangement is a little untidy with toilet block, dormer and chimney being rather crowded together. The west gable is faced with stone as main front of pavilions. The building is set in extensive grounds of approximately 166 hectares, mostly pasture, but some wooded. To the west the River Roe which lies below the house. To the front of the house a sweep of lawn beyond the driveway and a hedge separate it from the meadow to the north. The middle distant farmland with Benbradagh on the skyline makes a pleasing landscape. A variety of avenues formerly approached the house with many gate lodges (see HB02/07/002A for the principal avenue, presently not used). The avenues are marred by being treated like agricultural access roads (finished in grant-aided concrete). To the rear of the house i.e. between circular tower and toilets there was a servants’ wing now demolished. To the S of it outbuildings form an enclosed yard, now partly removed and replaced by a steel framed corrugated iron shed. To the W there is a long single storey coachhouse with 3 pointed arches. This building returns at right angles to join the buildings of the former enclosed yard. An archway (now ruinous) allowed access to further outbuildings a little removed (see HB02/06/007B). A small enclosed but now derelict walled fruit garden lay to the south. To the S W among the trees are 2 World War 2 war-time walled ammunition dumps.


Forman, Albert Louch, Fitzgibbon

Historical Information

The central portion of the house was probably built in the early 18th cent. by the Cary family. The estate lease was purchased by Ogilby in 1794 for £10,000. When the lease ran out in 1803 Ogilby obtained extension of the lease on payment of £25,000 and annual rent of £1,500 from the Skinners Co. Probably on obtaining the lease Ogilby improved the house by adding the single storey pavilions to the east and west which are built in ashlar sandstone with large arched windows set in recesses on the north facing hipped gables. Similar window treatment is seen in the north gate lodges on the Ballyquin Road .(See HB02/07/002A) He also added to or improved the adjacent outbuildings. However G V Sampson in his Statistical Survey of the County of Londonderry in 1802 refers to Robert Ogilby’s residence and Mansion at Pellipar as having an annual value of £2,500 which probably included the estate. Sampson also refers to “ the environs of Dungiven have lately been decorated (planting) by Mr Leslie Ogilby. The Ogilbys were much involved in the linen business around Limavady in 1782". In 1858 the Griffiths V B gives a valuation for Pellipar inclusive of gate lodges and Steward’s house of £80. The 1832 O.S. map shows a long back return in line with the E gable which on 1858 revision is shown of shorter length. The architect Fitzgibbon Louch was engaged at Pellipar around 1860s and it is likely that the ballroom dates from that time and that its roof was altered to allow the additional floor to the pavilions in 1907. The stonework of the ballroom would accord with this. The stonework of the 1907 improvements are quite different though still in ashlar. In 1880 Pellipar House was damaged by fire though the occupant James Ogilby set about reinstating the building promptly and appears to have added the stained glass window at the main stair and the entrance door which bear his monogram and date of 1882. It raises the point as to the date of the circular stair tower. It certainly seems to predate this period though the detail of the stairs and the height of the tower were probably carried out in 1907. The Derry architect, Albert Forman, was engaged in extensive improvements in 1907 when the pavilions had additional floors added to them including the attic floor over the entire house. The whole house was reroofed with steep pitches and the conical shape given to the tower which was raised.This was when the Chateau flavour of the overall ensemble developed. The entrance hall was revamped, gable windows adjusted, the single storeys to the pavilions added and the arched upper part of the original windows raised to the first floor. The rear of the building has undergone some changes in the later 20th cent. The Ogilbys sold their estates in 1956 when the present owners purchased the house and adjoining land of 166 hectares. The house was occupied during World War Two by the War Department. The present owners demolished the servants accommodation to the rear of the buildings and part of the adjoining outbuildings. A conservatory was also demolished to make way for the present kitchen. The whole of the interior of the building has been tastefully decorated and furnished by the present owners and the principal facades remain intact. The flat roof has been recently recovered in sheet butyl. References Primary Sources 1. O.S. map 1832 Londonderry sh. 24 2. O.S. map 1832 Rev. 1856 Londonderry sh. 24 3. O.S. map 1832 Rev. 1905-6 Londonderry sh. 24 4. O.S. Memoirs of Ireland, Co Londonderry IV 1824-1834-5 Parish of Dungiven 5. Griffiths V.B. 1858 Union of Newtownlimavady Parish of Dungiven Secondary Sources 1. Sampson G.V. Statistical Survey of the County of Londonderry p. 246, 428, 435, 359 2. Bunn Dungiven Days p.12 3. Rowan A Buildings of Ireland North West Ulster p. 4. Curl J.S. The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form E. Spatial Organisation H+. Alterations enhancing the building J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest W. Northern Ireland/International Interest


A fine example of a late 18th house of good architectural character and detail, later extended at the beginning of the 20th cent. in a small French Chateau style. It has good internal spaces creating much architectural excitement. Built of high quality materials and enjoys a fine setting adjacent to the River Roe with good tree planting and landscape. Of historic significance as the residence of the agent of the Skinners Co. and one of the best architectural houses in the N W of Ulster.

General Comments

Date of Survey

14 June 2000