Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB18/14/014


Extent of Listing:
Ice house


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Ice House Donard Park Newcastle Ballaghbeg Co Down


Townland:
Ballaghbeg






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
11/07/1977 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Ice House

Former Use
Ice House

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
255

IG Ref:
J3645 2955





Owner Category


Heritage

Exterior Description And Setting


Constructed in c.1840 , this bee hive shaped stone ice house is built into the N side of Thomas’s Mountain, just above the tree line, in the Glen River Valley. It was restored recently with the rebuilding of the main dome. The ice house is circular and has battered random rubble granite walling. The SE face of the structure is built into the hill side and thus obscured externally. The roof is formed by a brick dome which has a circular hole, protected by a steel grille, to the centre. A stone and brick barrel vaulted ‘porch’ attaches to the NE side giving access to the interior. The vertical NE face of the porch, has a square headed opening with a steel grille gate. This gate is kept locked.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


The ice house was built in c. 1840 to serve the near by Donard Lodge. References- Primary sources 1 PRONI D.1503/10 Annesley Papers- plans of Donard Lodge etc. 2 PRONI OS/1/3/49 OS map, first ed., Co Down 49. 3 PRONI OS/6/3/49/2 OS map, first rev., Co. Down 49.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion D. Plan Form E. Spatial Organisation F. Structural System J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance X. Local Interest



Evaluation


Bee hive shaped stone ice house of c.1840, built to serve Donard Lodge. The structure is built into the north side of Thomas’s Mountain, just above the tree line, in the Glen River Valley. It was repaired recently with a large section of the main dome rebuilt.

General Comments




Date of Survey


18 November 1999