Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB22/08/010


Extent of Listing:
Church


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Joymount Presbyterian Church 6 Joymount Carrickfergus Co. Antrim BT38 7DN


Townland:
Carrickfergus






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
16/09/1985 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
98-16NE3

IG Ref:
J4155 8763





Owner Category


Church - Presbyterian

Exterior Description And Setting


A double-height rendered Presbyterian church, dated 1855, located on the north side of Joymount. Rectangular on plan, facing south; attached hall to north gable and modern L-shaped single-storey annex and two-storey extension to north of hall. Pitched concrete tile roof, replacement half-round metal gutters affixed to painted timber fascia. Walling is painted smooth render over two-stage plinth; Giant Order pilasters between windows. Windows are round-headed double-height stained-glass casements with sills and hood moulds springing from moulded imposts over pilasters. Principal (south) gable is centrally abutted by a modern gabled single-storey porch (of no interest). Single window to either side of porch with reticulated keyblocks. Gable has eaves-level stringcourse at base of round-headed recess with hoodmould and reticulated keyblock supported on diminutive pilasters. Recess has single tripartite window, embossed “Joymount Presbyterian Church” and a shield-shaped date plaque to apex. West elevation is seven windows wide with window to right end blocked. Rear (north) gable is entirely abutted by hall, except for apex. Exposed section is a blank gablet. East elevation as detailed as above. The hall (former Sunday Schoolhouse), dated 1890, is two storeys, rectangular on plan, facing west. It is detailed as church but with a hipped roof, walling has quoins but no pilasters, and windows are segmental-arch-headed painted timber six-light casements with moulded architraves and sills. West elevation is asymmetrical with three first floor windows and a shield-shaped date plaque, Ground floor has one window flanking each side of segmental-arch-headed replacement painted timber four-panelled double-door with overlight with moulded architrave and keyblock. North elevation is abutted to left end by two-storey modern extension (of no interest) and abutted to entire ground floor right end by modern annex (of no interest). Exposed section has four windows. East elevation is two windows wide to each floor with single extra square-headed diminutive painted timber casement. Walling has no quoins. All windows have security grilles, replacement sills and no architraves. South elevation is centrally abutted by church. Exposed section has quoins, right end has one first floor window; left end has diminished windows (one to each floor); those to first floor are blocked to first floor. The church and schoolhouse are situated in tarmac car parkt with the east section of the Town Wall (HB22/08/008) and lawned parkland to west, a recreated Jacobean Knot Garden of the former Joymount House to southwest and the modern replacement Joymount Manse (replacing HB22/08/011) to northwest, and Shaftesbury Park to east. The church is set back with modern gates from Joymount.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


A simple rectangular structure without extensions is shown on the second edition OS map of 1857, captioned ‘Presb Meeting House’, The following edition of 1902, shows the building with an extension at south-east end. James Boyle's OS Memoirs of 1840, describes a Unitarian Meeting House, which is in the Scotch quarter 120 yards from the eastern extremity of high street. He claims the church is "still in quite an unfinished state, though commenced early in 1838 [and]… Its entrance front at the southern gable consists of a portico with 2 tall brick columns supporting a frieze". The estimated cost at that time was £1000. (Boyle, p 26). Griffith's Valuation records under exemptions a ‘Presbyterian church and yard’, occupied by the Rev James Warwick, valued at £25. Valuation Revisions from 1908 to 1915 record no change in value. The Presbyterian Historical Sociey Congregational History records that Joymount church was built due to the demand in the area for another church. Mr. Warwick was the first minister of the congregation, and the Lord Donegall provided a site for the new church. The foundation stone was laid in 1855 and the church opened for service the following year. Information provided by the current minister states that the congregation was organized between 1851 and 1852. The congregation historian is Alan McAlistair. The present church is dated 1855 and was built with stone taken from the shore that is rich in salt. The present flat ceiling was the result of an earlier remodelling and apparently conceals a vaulted ceiling. The present hall is dated 1890 and was built as a former Sunday School. The 1890 date on the attached hall may also refer to an overall building programme that includes the remodelling of the church, possible creation of the vestibule and blocking of the vestibule windows, and the erection of Joymount Manse (HB22/08/011), which was demolished and rebuilt on an adjacent site in c.2000. All of these stylistically date to around 1890. The choir vestry was originally a faculty room when the hall was a Sunday School. The upper hall is used for general sports, including badminton. The porch dates from the 1970s. Around c.1990, the formerly natural slated church, hall, and manse roof were reroofed with concrete tiles. The modern annex and extension date from c.2000. References Primary Sources: 1. PRONI OS/6/1/52/1 - First Edition OS Map (1832) 2. PRONI OS/6/1/52/2 - Second Edition OS Map (1857) 3. PRONI OS/6/1/52/3 - Third Edition OS Map (1901-2) 4. PRONI VAL/2/B/1/22C - Griffiths Valuation Fieldbook (1860) 5. PRONI VAL/12/B/7/7A - Valuation Revisions (1894-1908) 6. PRONI OS Memoirs: Vol 37 - Carrickfergus: James Boyle, 1840 Secondary Sources: 1. Presbyterian History Society. [Internet Source]. Available from: Acessed 15 December 2008. 2. Information from the current minister.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


A double-height mid-nineteenth-century Presbyterian church with a well preserved late-nineteenth-century interior and attached to a former schoolhouse (now church hall) that is dated 1890. The structure is situated just outside the historic town walls and was formerly part of a group that included Joymount Manse (HB22/08/011, demolished c.2000). It's exterior is relatively simple but it retains a very well detailed interior.

General Comments




Date of Survey


11 December 2008