Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB17/04/002


Extent of Listing:
Hall, railings & walling


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Masonic Hall 2 Church Square Banbridge Co Down BT32 4AT


Townland:
Ballyvally






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
25/10/1977 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
220/8

IG Ref:
J1269 4614





Owner Category


Masonic Lodge

Exterior Description And Setting


A symmetrical two-storey three-bay Masonic Hall with undercroft in the classical style to designs by Edward Gardner; built c.1848 as a Presbyterian Church and converted for use as a Masonic Hall c.1893. Rectangular plan with flat-roof extension to southwest (of no interest). Roof covering not visible from street level; pediments to gables and rendered chimneystack. Cast-iron ogee rainwater goods on projecting eaves with cast-iron hoppers and downpipes. Walling is painted smooth render on a contrasting plinth. Windows are mainly infilled; those to principal elevation are multi-paned timber casements; round-arched with apron panels to first floor all in double-height moulded surrounds; projecting painted sills to ground floor windows. The principal elevation faces southeast and is three openings wide at each floor; flanked by corner pilasters and surmounted by plain entablature and corniced pediment. To centre of pediment is an oculus with leaded-and-stained glass window bearing the Masonic square and compass. Pediment is topped by a carved lion on a granite plinth. To centre at ground floor is a replacement double-leaf eight-panelled timber door withsquare-headed overlight; flanked by half-engaged pilasters and framed by a moulded architrave. The southwest elevation is five windows wide (two to centre are infilled and rendered); abutted at ground floor and basement by the flat-roof extension. The northwest elevation has an infilled oculus to pediment and a double-height leaded-and-stained glass window with secondary glazing over; to basement is a four-paned uPVC window insertion to right and a narrow uPVC window to left. The northeast elevation is five infilled windows wide; modern fire exit door to first and ground floor leads to abutted metal staircase. Basement has modern fire exit door to left and four replacement windows. Setting Prominently sited to the centre of Church Square, flanked by the former police barracks (HB17/04/003) to west and Seapatrick Parish Church (HB17/04/001) to east. Sergeant’s house for the police barracks to rear. Set back from the street with rubble stone boundary wall having dressed granite coping stones and modern metal gates flanked by square granite gate piers with instepped dressed granite caps. Roof: Slate Walling: Smooth render Windows: Timber and uPVC RWG: Cast-iron

Architects


Gardner, Edward

Historical Information


Banbridge Masonic Hall, situated on Church Square in Banbridge, was originally constructed in 1848/9 to designs by Edward Gardner of Armagh. The building was built as a church for the Second Congregation of Unitarians and was ‘of the Grecian Style’. Edward Gardner is little known as an architect and has no other credits to his name. (Belfast Newsletter; www.dia.ie) The foundation stone of the church was laid on 20th October 1848 by David Lindsey JP of Ashfield and the building opened for worship in May 1849. (Banbridge Chronicle; Belfast Newsletter) The second edition of the Ordnance Survey map first depicts the church as rectangular on plan and situated on the north side of Church Square between the Constabulary Barracks (HB17/04/003) and Holy Trinity Parish Church (HB17/04/001). The contemporary Griffith’s Valuation (1863) recorded that the ‘Second Unitarian Church’ was valued at £30. The fieldbook also records the existence of a store under the building which was used for grass seed, a commodity which was readily traded in Banbridge at the period. The congregation originated in 1716 and first worshipped in a meeting house on the banks of the Bann. Rev Davis, minister from 1814, opposed Dr Cooke in the subscription controversy and became the leader of a liberal faction. When Dr Cooke triumphed at the 1828 Synod, Mr Davis was appointed to draw up a Remonstrance, a historic document which gave its name to ‘The Remonstrant Synod of Ulster’ or the Unitarians. Mr Davis was one of seventeen ministers who separated from the Synod of Ulster in 1830, the first Remonstrant Synod taking place that year. (Linn) Rev Davis continued as minister until 1847 and during his time the First Unitarian or Non-subscribing church of Banbridge was transferred from the Old Meeting House Green and built on Downshire Road in 1844-6. Davis was succeeded by Rev John Montgomery, but the appointment caused dissension in the congregation, some of whom favoured Rev C J McAlester of Holywood. The dissenting section of the congregation built a new church in the Square in 1849. (Linn) The building continued to be used as a church until the 1890s when the congregation reunited with their parent congregation in Downshire Road. (Banbridge Chronicle) The Irish Builder records that in 1871 Robert Cochrane (1846-1916), town surveyor of Banbridge and Dromore and Assistant County Surveyor of Down, had designed a two-storey Masonic Hall to be erected on a site donated by W. E. Reilly, however this building was never realised. (Irish Builder; Dictionary of Irish Architects). It was not until 1893 that the Banbridge Masonic Body purchased the former church for £390 and converted the building into a Masonic Hall. The converted building reopened on 3rd October 1898 and was listed at a valuation of £38. The dedication ceremony took place under the auspices of Brother Lord Arthur W Hill, Provisional Grand Master of Down. The former church was now arranged on two floors, with a vestibule, hall, reading and committee room on the ground floor and spacious recreation rooms on the second floor. The lodgeroom was a ‘fine square apartment...with lofty panelled ceiling’. (American Tyler-keystone) In, 1901 the Ulster Towns Directory described the building as a ‘handsome edifice’ which housed two Masonic Lodges, No. 119 Loyal Blue Lodge and No. 336 Union Bank Lodge which met at the site once monthly. From c.1910 additional lodges, No. 296 Victoria Unity Lodge and Royal Arch Chapter No. 124, met at the site. There was no further change to the site in the Annual Revisions until 1928 when the value of the Masonic Hall was increased to £46, due to the addition of a card room to the western facade of the building. In the First General Revaluation of 1933/4 the hall was revalued at £60 and the accommodation was listed. On the ground floor was a vestibule and L shaped refreshment room at the front, and at the back an elaborately fitted lodge room with dining room and ante-room attached. On the first floor, over the front only, was a billiard room with two tables and a reading room. In the basement of the main building was a long supper room, lavatory accommodation and caretakers quarters (kitchen, scullery and two bedrooms). In the west wing was a card room well finished and fitted (panelled dado &c). The caretaker’s quarters were occupied rent free. The valuer thought the hall ‘a substantially built and well finished building of plain exterior. In good condition of repair’. The front portion of the hall and the card room were used as a social club by non-masons as well as masons on payment of a subscription of £1 per annum. In Beckett’s history of Union Band Lodge No. 336 he records that an extension was added to the dining room of the hall in 1955; this was completed in 1957, cost £3,500 and doubled the accommodation of the room (Irish Masonic Jewels website). In 1969 Brett described the Masonic Hall as ‘a fine stucco building, pediment (with oculus) surmounted by couchant lion, slim round-headed windows, interesting door and window mouldings’ (Brett, p. 7). The Masonic Hall was listed in 1977 and continues to operate as a meeting place for the Masonic lodges of Banbridge as well as offering function rooms for hire to the general public. Various renovations have occurred in the period since listing including repairs to roofs, chimneys and windows. Bomb damage necessitated repairs in 1991 and new doors were fitted to the main building the same year. (HB file) References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/3/27/1 – First edition Ordnance Survey map 1833 2. PRONI OS/6/3/27/2 – Second Edition Ordnance Survey map 1860 3. PRONI OS/6/3/27/3 – Third Edition Ordnance Survey map 1903-1918 4. PRONI VAL/2/B/3/64/C – Griffith’s Valuation 1863 5. PRONI VAL/12/B/16/6/A – Annual Revisions 1864-1874 6. PRONI VAL/12/B/16/6/B – Annual Revisions 1874-1884 7. PRONI VAL/12/B/16/6/D – Annual Revisions 1885-1894 8. PRONI VAL/12/B/16/7/A – Annual Revisions 1899-1910 9. PRONI VAL/12/B/16/7/B – Annual Revisions 1911-1922 10. PRONI VAL/12/B/16/7/C – Annual Revisions 1921-1930 11. PRONI VAL/3/D/4/2/A/5 First General Revaluation 1933-57 12. Ulster Town Directories (1843-1918) 13. Belfast Newsletter May 1849 14. The Irish Builder 1st March 1871 15. First Survey Record – HB17/04/002 (1977) 16. Banbridge Chronicle 5th March 1981 17. NIEA HB file Secondary Sources 1. Brett, C.E.B., Dunleath, Lady “List of Historic Buildings, Groups of Buildings, Buildings of Architectural Importance in Borough of Banbridge” Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, April-July 1969 2. Magennis, P., ‘Banbridge: An illustrated history and companion’ Donaghadee: Cottage Publications, 1996. 3. Quail, D; Young, A. F, ‘Old Banbridge’ Catrine: Stenlake Publishing, 2002. 4. “The American tyler-keystone:devoted to freemasonry and its concordant others” Volume 13, 1898 5. Dictionary of Irish Architects Website - www.dia.ie 6. Beckett, W., ‘A history of Union Band Lodge No. 336’Irish Masonic Jewels website - http://www.irishmasonicjewels.ie/intro_topic184.html

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest



Evaluation


A symmetrical classically-styled two-storey-over-basement three-bay Masonic Hall, a former Presbyterian Church, to designs by Edward Gardner; built c.1850 and converted c.1890. The building demonstrates classical proportions and retains much of its original character, including stucco walls and round-headed windows and the changes associated with the Masonic Order. The change from a church to a Masonic hall is of interest; however, more recent changes have compromised its appearance and resulted in some loss of interior detail. It remains a good example of the type.

General Comments




Date of Survey


27 January 2012