Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB19/03/020


Extent of Listing:
Church, outbuilding, front walling, piers and gate screen.


Date of Construction:
1650 - 1699


Address :
Trinity Church of Ireland Church Soldierstown Road Poobles Aghalee County Antrim


Townland:
Poobles






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
26/08/1988 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
164/09

IG Ref:
J1440 6284





Owner Category


Church - C of I

Exterior Description And Setting


Free-standing rendered hall and tower Church of Ireland church, origianlly dating from the seventeenth century with alterations during the early 19th century, located on an elevated site on the north side of Soldierstown Road. Rectangular on plan on an east-west axis with square-plan three-stage rendered steeple to the west, chancel added to the east 1899 and single-storey over basement vestry and parish room abutting north nave elevation built c.1982. Pitched natural slate roof black clay ridge tiles and cement coping to slightly raised gables. Cast-iron guttering on decorative iron brackets to concave stone eaves course and cast-iron downpipes. Roughcast render walling with smooth render plinth course. Pointed-headed window openings with decorative hood mouldings, masonry sills, stone Y-tracery and leaded stained glass. Three-stage square-plan rendered entrance tower surmounted by octagonal plan copper-sheeted spire and weather vane set behind parapet wall with masonry coping and stone corner pinnacles having plastic hoppers and downpipes breaking through parapet wall. Pointed-headed entrance to the south elevation with replacement hardwood panelled doors and overpanel. Diminutive square-headed opening above the entrance and pointed-headed opening to the upper stage of all four elevations, each having decorative hood mouldings and foliate label stops. Timber louvres to the upper stage openings and modern stained glass to the lower stage opening to the west. South nave elevation is two windows wide. West gable abutted by tower. North nave elevation is abutted by single-storey over basement vestry wing leaving a single window opening exposed on this elevation. The vestry wing has a shallow pitched artificial slate roof with 2/2 timber sash windows. East gable abutted by shallow gabled chancel both finished in ruled and lined cement render. Chancel is narrower than the east gable with cement coping, stone finial to apex, natural slate roof to exposed rafter feet and decorative kneeler stones. Lateral buttresses to either side and a central pointed-headed east window with hood moulding, geometric stone tracery, masonry sill and stained glass with storm glazing. To each cheek of the chancel is a lancet opening with hood mouldings, splayed flush sills and leaded lattice windows. Setting: Set on an elevated site on the north side of Soldierstown Road laid out with many stone and marble grave markers dating from 1770 to the present. Bitmac path set perpendicular to the road opening via iron gate screen on rendered piers and splayed walls with decorative cement coping, continuing along the road frontage. Diminutive single-storey structure to the west of gate screen having natural slate roof and single hardwood door. Large community hall to the rear built c.1980. Roof Natural slate RWG Cast-iron Walling Roughcast render Windows Pointed-headed with stone Y-tracery & leaded stained glass

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


The first edition Ordnance Survey map (1832-33) records ‘Soldierstown Church,’ situated by the road west of Soldierstown, as an oblong building with a large north pointing return. There is no discernible alteration to the layout of this church on the later editions of the Ordnance Survey maps, however, between 1858 and 1900 its name is changed from ‘Soldierstown Church’ to ‘Trinity Church.’ The Townland Valuation (c. 1835) records the church as a 1B+ class building measuring 70 ft by 28 ft and 20 ft high. The tower is listed as measuring 40 ft and a school house is recorded as a part of the church building. The entire site is valued at £9. 19s. The Ordnance Survey Memoirs (1833-38) describe Soldierstown Church as ‘an oblong edifice one-storey high and slated, with a handsome tower attached to the west end ... the interior is lit by two Gothic windows on each side and one large Gothick window on the east gable, where the communion table stands. There is a gallery on the west end, supported in front on timber columns ... the pulpit stands against the north side wall, elevated some feet above the floor. The baptismal font is of marble and the pedestal on which it stands of cut stone.’ The vestry was attached to the north side of the Church, presumably the return visible on the Ordnance Survey maps. A framed canvas depicting the royal arms of Charles II was hung on the south wall. The memoir tells us that the Church could accommodate 362 people. A staircase leading to the gallery originally stood at the western end of the church but was removed in 1836 to the tower. The memoir states that the spire was 21 ft high, the entire tower measuring 106 ft and possessing a 4 cwt weight bell. An inscription on the bell records that the bell was made by a Mr. Henry Parkes. The Ordnance Survey Memoirs stated that the Church was built around 1686, the oak roof being slated in 1792. The side walls were raised in 1827 and another new roof was installed. Other improvements were carried out at the church in that year, the total cost of which came to £184. The spire was also installed at the cost of £100 in 1827. It replaced an earlier spire which dated from 1713. The name ‘Soldierstown’ came from the two companies of foot soldiers that were stationed near the Church site during the 1641 rebellion. A large Graveyard adjoined the church site, the oldest stone being the 1689 tomb used by the Charleton family. The graveyard also contains the body of Richard Owen, the engineer of the Lagan Navigation who died in 1830. The church vestry and schoolhouse were built in 1719 by the Rev. William Walkington. Griffiths Valuation (1856-64) values the Church at £14. and the Church school house at £1. 5s. Neither value had changed by the end of the Annual Revisions in 1928, although in 1927 the School House had become a Sunday school. Although the Ordnance Survey provides a build date of 1686, Brennan tells us that the Church was built by Lord Conway in 1666/7 and consecrated in 1677 (Brennan, p. 8). Brett states that the church was actually consecrated in May of 1667, although he does not reveal where he had attained this information (Brett, p. 33). A Rectory was built during the work of 1827 and a new Chancel was added in 1899 when another major refurbishment of the church building was undertaken. Under the 1899 work new seating and a wooden roof were installed; Brennan tells us that the Chancel was constructed by a Mr. Frank Forsythe (Brennan, p. 8). In 1922 the Evans & Barr Pipe Organ was installed in the west end of the church and was dedicated to men from the parish who had served in the First World War (Brennan, p. 16). The walls were roughcast in 1923 (Brett, p. 33; Kelly, p. 39). The Church possesses three stained glass windows, two of which were presented by a Mr. John Bullick in 1932; the other is earlier, erected in 1890 to the memory of Isaac Turtle of Laurel Hill (HB19/03/032) (Brennan, p. 16). Brett states that ‘the one extraordinary feature of this otherwise not very exciting church is the unique form of stopper employed at the ends of all the dripstones over doors and windows: at first glance, resembling a stylised bunch of grapes, on closer inspection like nothing so much as a wasp’s nest’ (Brett, p. 33). A modern lighting system was installed in 1975 along with six chandeliers. The impressive eagle-shaped Brass lectern was gifted to the church in 1956 by the local Orangemen and Royal Black Preceptory Brethren (Brennan, p. 16). In 1982 a new Parish hall was erected and damages to the church roof were repaired. The Church was listed in 1988 before the tower was completely renovated and re-plastered in 1999. The current Rector, Rev. Charles McCartney was installed on 18th September 2008 (Kelly, p. 39). References: 1. PRONI VAL/1/A/1/67 – Field Map c.1830 2. PRONI VAL/1/B/166 – Townland Valuation 3. PRONI OS/6/1/67/1 – First Edition OS Map 1832-33 4. PRONI OS/6/1/67/2 – Second Edition OS Map 1858 5. PRONI OS/6/1/67/3 – Third Edition OS Map 1900 6. PRONI OS/6/1/67/4 – Fourth Edition OS Map 1920-1921 7. PRONI VAL/2/B/1/58 – Griffith’s Valuation 1859 8. PRONI VAL/12/B/9/2 A – Annual Revisions 1863-1879 9. PRONI VAL/12/B/9/2 B – Annual Revisions 1880-1894 10. PRONI VAL/12/B/9/2 C – Annual Revisions 1895-1905 11. PRONI VAL/12/B/9/2 D – Annual Revisions 1906-1918 12. PRONI VAL/12/B/9/2 E – Annual Revisions 1918-1928 Secondary Sources 1. Brett, C. E. B., ‘Buildings of County Antrim’ Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1996. 2. Kelly, D., ‘Lisburn’s rich church heritage: Churches and places of worship in the Lisburn city area’ Lisburn: Impression Print and Design, 2009. 3. Brennan, S. J., ‘Aghalee Parish Tercenterery: 1677-1977’ Newcastle: Mourne Observer Press, 1977. 4. NIEA file – HB19/03/020.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance V. Authorship W. Northern Ireland/International Interest



Evaluation


Free-standing rendered Church of Ireland church, origianlly dating from the seventeenth century with alterations during the early 19th century, located on an attractive elevated rural site on the north side of Soldierstown Road. An historic hall and tower type church of considerable age with a restrained exterior. Although partially altered to the interior, it retains most external fabric and is a good example of an early Church of Ireland church. The building also has group value with the nearby rectory (HB19/03/21) and its interest is increased by the good quality gate screen and historic outbuilding. It retains its significance within the local community and its historical connections with Richard Owen, the engineer of the Lagan Navigation, who is buried in the church yard, add to its significance within the heritage of the Lisburn area.

General Comments




Date of Survey


27 September 2010