Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB14/23/049


Extent of Listing:
Library


Date of Construction:
1900 - 1919


Address :
Carnegie Library Carnegie Street. Lurgan Co Armagh BT66 6AS


Townland:
LURGAN






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
09/02/1994 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Library

Former Use
Library

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
182/7

IG Ref:
J0816 5830





Owner Category




Exterior Description And Setting


Gable-fronted, part two, part single-storey largely red brick Edwardian Freestyle ‘Carnegie’ library of 1906 by Henry Hobart, with extensive two-storey extension of 1991-92. Freestanding with a street frontage, the building faces NW directly into Carnegie Street, a cul-de-sac (originally an open-ended thoroughfare) opening off the SW side of Market Street, that slopes noticeably NE to SW. [For the purposes of this description NW will be read as N, with all other compass points following.] The original section of the building is roughly rectangular in plan with the main two-storey block to the south. The roof consists of two main gabled portions to E and W, linked by a narrower transverse gable. To the south of this is a lean-to, whilst to the north (in line with the entrance) is a steep pyramidal roof topped with a weathervane. Aprt from the the eastern side of the lower gabled section, much of the roof is now largely covered in replacement slate-like tiles with a mixture of terracotta and replacement concrete ridge tiles. There is a relatively small brick chimneystack to the rear of gable of the two-storey portion, with two lead-clad fleche-like projections to the ridge of its single-storey counterpart, which appear to have been altered in recent years. FRONT (N) The frontage is asymmetric and in three sections with a large gabled bay to the left, another equally broad two-storey bay to the right, with the entrance set within a narrower tower-like two-storey central portion. This façade is largely in brick and rises into a parapet that is coped in discoloured (but possibly originally red) ashlar sandstone and adorned with sub-Baroque scrolled apexes and ball finials. Shallow brick ‘buttresses’ delineate each of the bays, whilst there are is a sandstone cill and header courses to the two-storey section, with a bevelled brick plinth spanning the whole elevation. The windows have sandstone cills and moulded sandstone dripstones over various description. The entrance is set within a generously-proportioned arched recess in dressed red sandstone with pairs of half-height decorated Ionic pulvinated columns supporting a cusped semi-circular arch with ‘FREE LIBRARY’ raised lettering thereon and a drip moulding over. Within the recess, protected sliding metal concertina gate (which was described at the time of the opening in 1906 as a 'Botwick's collapsible steel gate'), is a threshold with encaustic tiling, and a timber screen whose central double door has leaded glazing, in a simplified Art Nouveau manner, to its upper panels as well as the sidelights and expansive fanlight. Directly over the entrance is a large segmental-headed first floor window the upper lights of whose mullioned and transomed timber frame are have typically Edwardian multi-paned glazing filled with decorative leaded tracery. Over this window is a projecting sandstone relieving arch on dentilled brackets, whilst under the window cill there is some moulded brickwork. To the left of the entrance, within the single-storey section, is a Venetian-like grouping of three tall windows, each possessing transomed timber frames with multi-pane uppermost lights and a continuous drip moulding covering the whole all three openings. Above this, within the gable, are three slit recesses also with drip moulding. Right of the entrance is another triple-light window with much wider central light, but with frames and moulding similar to before, whilst centred above this to the first floor, is a large semi-circular window, with a frame much as previous, but a more decorative drip moulding and some moulded brickwork supporting the cill. E ELEVATION Both this and the rear elevation are of more functional appearance, being wholly in brick and devoid of any decoration, save for a moulded brick eaves course to the E. To this side, on the single-storey section, there are two large square windows with frames similar to the front, but devoid of smaller panes. (Both of these are covered by modern security grills.) To left of this section on a small rear lean-to, set back from the main elevation, are two small windows with modern replacement frames, whilst direly above this, on a taller lean-to the is a larger window with timber sash frame. To the E face of the two-storey block there is a large semi-circular headed stairwell window, divided into a series of lights (some upper ones pointed) all populated with leaded Art Nouveau glazing. W ELEVATION This side of the building is abutted by the 1991-92 extension and virtually nothing can be seen of it, The extension itself is almost twice the size of the original structure and in brown-red brick. Although largely modern in appearance, its gabled end bay does attempt to echo the style of the earlier building, albeit in a considerably more pared down form. REAR ELEVATION The two-storey gabled bay to the left has a large semi-circular arched upper floor window and three ground floor doorways – leading to stores / plant rooms - all of which are later 20th century insertions (concrete heads, modern flat-panel doors). To the immediate right of this is another doorway, now with modern door, with three relatively small windows to the right of this all with modern frames. Above these are two further windows one, to left, with a timber sash frame, with a replacement timber frame to that to the right. To far right, on the rear gable of the single-storey block, there is a group of three windows, as that to the front gable of this section, but minus the drip moulding. (These windows are covered by a security grill also.) RW goods - Cast-iron with moulded guttering. Later 20th century soil pipes.

Architects


Hobart, Henry

Historical Information


This library was built in 1905-06 to a design by Henry Hobart, with the large extension added in 1991-92. The building is constructed on land that had previously been occupied by a garden plot (or plots), belonging to a property or properties fronting on to Market Street. These long plots, which had been laid out in the early 17th century and stretched south-westwards to the lower ground where Millennium Way now runs, were interspersed with narrow lanes and passages which opened into Market Street, one of which, Margery’s Lane, was located roughly along the line of today’s Carnegie Street. This area around this lane was deemed ‘unhealthy’ in a report of 1897, and in or just prior to 1900, Lurgan UDC embarked urban improvement scheme for the vicinity, purchasing all properties situated within the lane, as well as the former nos.29-39 Market Street, clearing everything away and laying out a 'new street from Market Street to Roger's Court' (another narrow passage whose eastern half was roughly along the line of today’s Millennium Way). In 1902 the UDC decided that a new library be sited in this recently-created street. This was intended to replace the free (i.e. non subscription) library established by the council in 1894 and which at that point was located within the basement of the Town Hall in Union Street. The council applied to the Scots-born American philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie, for financial help towards the construction of the new building (his library funding scheme having been introduced to Ireland in 1897). By early 1903, Mr. Carnegie had agreed to donate £2,000 and in commemoration of this the grateful council named the new thoroughfare after him. The following year architect Henry Hobart of Dromore was engaged to supply a design for the structure and building work commenced in 1905. The contractor was William Callaghan of Magheralin, who sourced the ‘perforated brick’ from Seagoe, near Portadown, with the Cumbrian sandstone, (from Aspatria parish, near Allerton), supplied by a Mr. McCormick of Antrim Road, Belfast; the stained glass was the work of Campbell Brothers of Belfast and the ‘low-pressure hot water system’ provided by Messrs. John Long & Sons of Lurgan. The 'Belfast News-Letter' report on the opening provides a description of the interior: ‘On the first [i.e. ground] floor is a vestibule entrance leading to a fine spacious hall, which communicates through swinging doors with a recreation room, 25ft. By 25ft., and reading-room 26ft. By 40ft. Leading from the hall is also handsome staircase in three easy flights, which is lighted with a cathedral glass window bearing the Lurgan town coat of arms…. On the top floor is the lending library, a fine spacious room 25ft. By 40ft., containing shelves and cases capable holding thousands volumes. A men’s lavatory has been provided the ground floor, and convenient to the lending library is a cloak room and lavatory for ladies… Altogether the structure has been constructed and finished in very satisfactory manner, and the rooms furnished and fitted accordance with the most modem ideas.’ The official programme to accompany the opening adds some further details, stating that ‘the walls around the apartments have a dado finished in Keen's cement with bold mouldings at the top, all joints of the windows being similarly finished and moulded. The staircase and ceilings are in selected pitch pine with moulded mahogany rails; all interior woodwork is yellow pine painted green satin and varnished.’ The building witnessed some alterations to the rear in the mid 20th century, the concrete heads to the three plant doorways to this side suggesting they are all c.1960s, or were altered around this time, whilst some of the smaller windows have replacement frames of this era, or perhaps slightly later. The large extension was added in 1991-92. Just prior to its completion (in1991), the original building was partly damaged in a fire, which necessitated further works to this section. References - Primary sources 1 OS town plans of Lurgan, 1856, 1906, 1975 2 VAL12B/14/9D (1904-14) 3 'Irish Builder', 31 December 1903, 13 Feb 1904, 13 January 1906 4 ‘Northern Whig’, 9 January 1906 5 'Belfast News-Letter', 13 January 1906 7 'The Builder', vol.90, 3 February 1906 8 OS town plans of Lurgan, 1906, 1975 Secondary sources 1 Clendinning, Kiernan, “The Opening of the Carnegie Library” in ‘Review – Journal of the Craigavon Historical Society’ (1996-97) 2 Grimes, Brendan, ‘Irish Carnegie Libraries: a catalogue and architectural history’, (1998), pp.193-95 3 Mulligan, Kevin V., 'The Buildings of Ireland: South Ulster', (Yale University Press, 2013), p.431-32 4 Information from library manager (February 2018) Online sources 1 Dictionary of Irish Architects - http://www.dia.ie/works/view/8595/CO.+ARMAGH%2C+LURGAN%2C+CARNEGIE+STREET%2C+PUBLIC+LIBRARY (accessed 2 March 2018)

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

R. Age S. Authenticity V. Authorship Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance X. Local Interest T. Historic Importance



Evaluation


A red brick Freestyle Carnegie library of 1906 by Henry Hobart, with large extension of 1992. The original section of the building, (which along with the neighbouring Danske Bank adjacent public house forms an important Edwardian grouping at the northern half of Carnegie St.) is largely intact externally, retaining a memorable dressed sandstone entrance and decorative gable parapets. Internally, although there have been changes to the layout, a significant amount of original features remain. In terms of scale and detailing, the extension is ill-judged; however, it is clearly distinguishable from the earlier structure, and, despite its size, its location on sloping ground has ensured ia degree of subservience to the older section.

General Comments




Date of Survey


06 February 2018