Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB11/02/002


Extent of Listing:
Church


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Donacavey Church of Ireland Ecclesville Road Fintona Co Tyrone BT78 2BZ


Townland:
Ecclesville Demesne






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
14/08/1989 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
156-16

IG Ref:
H4456 6110





Owner Category


Church - C of I

Exterior Description And Setting


Detached double-height Church of Ireland church, built c.1840, located to the north side of Ecclesville Road. Church consists of rectangular nave with chancel to north; central double-height porch to south flanked by single-storey porches. Roofs are pitched natural slate with blue/black clay ridge tiles; saddleback stone verges. Walls are ashlar sandstone over projecting plinth; recessed bays to nave are squared-and-snecked. Windows are round-arched containing lattice-lights in plain sandstone surrounds, unless otherwise stated. Principal elevation faces south; abutted at centre by porches; exposed gable consists of recessed bay with dentilled head flanked by pilasters; gabled bellcote to apex consists of round-arch opening containing bronze bell. Central gabled porch contains rebated round-arch opening flanked by collonettes containing replacement square-headed double-leaf vertically sheeted timber doors; single window at first floor; recessed bay to east and west elevations; porch flanked left and right by gabled single-storey porches each containing single window in recessed bay; outer elevations each contain entrance detailed as principal; original timber panelled doors. West elevation is five windows wide with small circular air vents in sandstone surround beneath; each set within recessed bay with dentilled head, separated by pilasters. North gable consists of recessed bay with dentilled head flanked by pilasters; abutted by chancel consisting of recessed bay (squared-and-snecked) with dentilled head flanked by pilasters containing large window containing leaded stained glass; round-arched-headed opening containing square-headed entrance door to east and west. East elevation detailed as west; bay four contains replacement square-headed timber entrance door to right. Setting Set on elevated site within churchyard to the south of Fintona. Bounded to road at south by rubble basalt walling accessed through set back entrance consisting of pairs of square sandstone pillars supporting pair of cast-iron gates. Hedging to other boundaries. Roof Natural slate Walling Ashlar sandstone Windows lattice lights RWG cast-iron

Architects


Farrell, William

Historical Information


The church first appears in the second edition map of 1854 captioned “Church”. It is listed in Griffith’s Valuation and in the Annual Revision Records, valued at £40 10s 0d. In 1897-1911 the occupiers are listed as the Representatives of the Church Body and it is leased from Amy McClintock. Rowan comments; “A primitive neo-Norman five-bay hall with bellcote and three porches grouped together on the W gable. Colonettes and cushion capitals flank the doors. Probably by William Farrell." (p.295) Farrell was responsible for the northern part of Ireland for the Church Commissioners at the time. The Diocesan history states that the church was consecrated on 2 August 1840. It was restored – a ‘3-decker’ pulpit etc being replaced by a modern pulpit, prayer desk and brass lectern etc at a cost of £500 in 1904. The new burial ground was consecrated on 9 May 1907. (Leslie, p.169) According to a local historian, a gallery was built at the west end of the church with two wooden partitions making three boxes. The Eccles family, the local landowners, sat in the centre box. (Baxter p.12) References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/6/51/1-3 – Ordnance Survey Maps (1833, 1854, 1906) 2. PRONI VAL/2/A/6/51 – Griffith’s Valuation Map 3. PRONI VAL/2/B/6/3/A – Griffith’s Valuation (1856-1864) 4. PRONI VAL/12/B/41/23/A-F – Annual Revision Records (1860-1929) Secondary Sources 1. Baxter, J and Fintona Development Assoc. ‘Fintona and the Rare Oul’ Times’ (n.d) 2. Leslie, Canon JB ‘Clergy of Clogher’, Ulster Historical Foundation, 2006 3. Rowan, A ‘The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster’, Penguin Books, 1979

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


A detached double-height Church of Ireland church, built c.1840, located to the north side of Ecclesville Road. A simple but well conceived design, characterised by three gabled porches and ornate bell-cote; ornately detailed stonework enlivens an otherwise plain exterior. Original features both internally and externally remain intact, including an unusual secondary gallery to the main gallery space. A neat and good quality example of a small rural church.

General Comments




Date of Survey


02 February 2009