Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB09/06/003


Extent of Listing:
Hall, boundary walls and railings


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Orange Hall 2 Stonard Street Moneymore Magherafelt Co Londonderry BT45 7PN


Townland:
Moneymore






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
01/10/1975 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
School

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
109/5

IG Ref:
H8582 8335





Owner Category


Orange Order

Exterior Description And Setting


A 2 storey central block, hipped roof with 2 single storey gable lateral blocks, each linked by entrances to the central block. The central block, 3 bays wide, has 3 ground floor segmented headed window openings filled with temporary painted 9 pane blanks. The original windows were 16 pane double hung sliding sash windows with smooth architrave surround, equally spaced. At first floor similar windows but of less height. Walls smooth rendered, painted, with painted rusticated quoins, plaster plinth. Shallow overhang with ½ round gutter, natural slated hipped roof with ridge and hip tiles. Gable chimney to W centrally placed. On each side of central block pedimented lateral block, 2 bays wide, each with 2 segmented headed windows 56 panes each, with high cill line, smooth band architrave, wall smooth rendered and painted, rusticated painted quoins, high plinth because of fall in ground level. Each pediment has a roundel in plaster, one containing a ladder symbol and the other (W side) a 5 pointed star. Each has a tall chimney stack on the sides next to central block. Roofs natural slates, ridge tiles. The blocks are linked by narrow entrances, containing each a timber sheeted door with margined 3 pane radial fanlight. Plasterwork rusticated with simulated voissoirs. 5 steps ascend to each door with low wall on each side and a railed narrow area in front of building. The rears of the central and lateral blocks are devoid of windows except for a door and modern window inserted at ground floor. Walls roughcast rendered, unpainted. A small flat roof extension has been added to the gable of the W block and a small lean-to roofed extension to the E block. Each long wall of the lateral blocks has 3, 56 pane segmental headed windows asymmetrically placed similar to those on the main façade. It is assumed there were windows to the rear of central block but are now built up. The building forms a forceful closing vista at the S end of High Street which lies on a ridge which falls to W and E. Behind the building is the former school yard, now one space but originally divided in several. It is surrounded on 3 sides by a random rubble stone wall and its surface presently concreted. To the S a large shed with similar stone walls.

Architects


Gibson, Jesse

Historical Information


The edifice was built as school in 1820 by the Drapers Company and was planned on the Lancaster method of teaching. Later when it came under the National Board of Education, each single space was divided in two by sliding folding partitions. Boys occupied one wing and girls the other. The playground was divided into separated playspaces for boys and girls with external toilets. A separate yard was provided for the master and mistress. The school ceased activities in the early 1950s and the Orange Order acquired the building in middle 1950s. The building suffered bomb damage in the 1980s and the original window type in the centre block have not yet been replaced. The building is sited on the location of the 17th cent. castle and bawn. The castle was demolished in c1760and when the school was being built the O.S. Memoirs records “In sinking the foundations of the present schools, some old foundation walls of immense thickness were found and the earth in about them was very deep and rich and some human bones were found in it”. The school building is similar in plan and composition to that erected by the Fishmongers Company in Ballykelly in 1830 (see HB02/02/002). References Primary Sources 1. O.S. Map 1832 Londonderry sh. 46. 2. O.S. Map 1832 Rev. 1856 Londonderry sh. 46. 3. O.S. Map 1906 Londonderry sh. 109. 4. Curl J.S. Moneymore and Draperstown UAHS, p.34, 35. 5. O.S. Memoirs of Ireland – Parishes of Co Londonderry XI, 1821, 1833, 1836-7, pp.35 – 42 Ed by Angelique Day and Patrick McWilliams Q.U.B. 6. Curl J.S. The Londonderry Plantation 1609-1914 pp.192 – 195 ill. p. 199

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion H-. Alterations detracting from building

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest V. Authorship



Evaluation


A fine piece of late Georgian building in bold, robust form and making an excellent vista to Moneymore High Street and compensates for the loss of the former 17th cent. castle which contributed in like architectural manner. The simple symmetrical composition with restrained detail is admirable.

General Comments




Date of Survey


22 November 2000