Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:

Extent of Listing:
Building and adjacent weir.

Date of Construction:
1880 - 1899

Address :
Dogleap Powerhouse Roe Valley Country Park 43 Dogleap Road Largy Limavady Co Londonderry BT49 9NN


Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
22/03/1996 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Gallery/ Museum

Former Use
Power Station

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
C6795 2030

Owner Category

Central Govt

Exterior Description And Setting

Tall single storey stone building with red brick trims around openings, adjacent to Largy Bridge (HB02/03/009) in Roe Valley Country Park. Building drops to two stories on the north side facing the River Roe. New corrugated metal roof (no rust). South west corner is curved and has a sandstone plaque under the overhanging eaves: ‘built by J T and his wife E J S Ritter 1896’. Main facade to the south is simply elevated: a door opening, a window opening and to the east a 2½ metre wide slot - shutter doors at ground level painted matchboarding above. The east gable has brick quoins, a central window and evidence perhaps of a former extension in a vertical line of brick work and a similar line incorporated in the northern quoins. Overlooking the river to the north, ground level falls steeply to a path below, there are two windows and a three and a half metre slot containing a large window to the plant room. Over the window is horizontal matchboarding. Under, the wall has been built up in brick and further below brick rendered over. West gable adjoining bridge carriageway has no openings.


Not Known

Historical Information

In 1893 John Ritter began experiments with electricity generation in order to light his house at Roe Park (HB02/12/031) initially he used a paraffin-oil engine and water wheel as his power sources. However in 1896 he erected the present hydro-power station at Largy Green using three McAdam water turbines generating alternating current. The success of this venture was such that Ritter formed the Limavady Electric supply company in 1897 and began supplying electricity to Limavady In 1904 the McAdam turbines were replaced by a more efficient 90hp turbine built by Escher Wyss of Switzerland. The closure of the Limavady Gasworks in 1918 (owing to a coal shortage) boosted fortunes and in 1924 an additional 150hp Hay-Manyon turbine came on stream. This was augmented in the 1930s and 40s with diesel generators and another generator at Roe mills (HB02/13/004) now demolished. By 1935 Limavady Junction and Ballykelly had also been linked to the company’s electricity network. In 1946, the Electricity Board for Northern Ireland acquired the Dogleap Station. By the mid 1960s the station was producing less than 1% of Northern Ireland’s electricity needs and in 1967 the station was closed. In 1976 the building became part of the new Roe Valley Country Park under the ownership of the D O E. The building was listed as a grade B in 1975 this was upgraded to a B+ in recognition of its position as the only surviving example in Northern Ireland of a hydro-electric power station. In 1994 after privatisation of the electricity service, Coolkeeragh Power Ltd seriously investigated re-starting the commercial generation of electricity in the power station as part of the commitment imposed on the new companies to decrease their use of non-renewable sources of energy. A planning application was submitted along with a consultant’s report. This proposed re-using the western millrace running from Moore’s Weir opposite Carrick Church (HB02/08/004) dredging out the mill pond and installing a new generator. The scheme has not, so far, been developed. References: Electricity from the Red River NIE Report by F E Hammond in Historic Buildings file 19/7/89. Planning application by Coolkeeragh Power Ltd Historic Buildings file 1994 W A McCutcheon The Industrial Archaeology of Northern Ireland p.264 Industrial Heritagy Record number: 1680:4

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship W. Northern Ireland/International Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance Z. Rarity


A simple stone building which enhances the setting of Largy Bridge over the Dogleap. Curved wall with plaque, though no doubt resulting from practical considerations, enhances the picturesque quality of the setting. Building is important however for the surviving hydro-electric machinery inside and its close association with the early history of electricity generation in Ireland. It is the only surviving example of such a building in Northern Ireland.

General Comments

Date of Survey

29 April 1998