Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB10/04/005


Extent of Listing:
Shop and outbuildings


Date of Construction:
1920 - 1939


Address :
Hood & Co. 29 Main Street Newtownstewart Co Tyrone BT78 4AD


Townland:
Newtownstewart






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
15/04/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Shop

Former Use
House

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
104-2

IG Ref:
H4017 8572





Owner Category


Commercial

Exterior Description And Setting


A multi-bay three-storey shop (originally composing three separate properties) built c.1850, with shop front from c.1930, located on the east side of Main Street, Newtownstewart. Rectangular on plan, facing west; later two two-storey outbuilding ranges to east. Pitched natural slate roof, right section has higher ridge level, blue/black clay angled ridge tiles, painted rendered chimneystacks, half-round painted cast-iron gutters. Painted rendered walling. Square-headed painted timber 2/2 sash windows, rendered sills. Principal (west) elevation comprises lower three-storey block to left, seven windows wide, and higher block at right, four windows wide (with 2/2 sash windows). A double shopfront spans the buildings divided by a rendered square-headed carriage arch, a detached cast iron gate has lettering: “HOOD & CO.” Shopfronts are painted timber with plate glass glazing in painted timber frames, glazed and gilded fascia with lettering “HOOD & CO.” and maker’s mark “Clokeys.” Left end shopfront entrance recess has painted timber and glazed door with overlight, mosaic threshold with lettering: “HOOD & CO,” sheeted timber soffit. North gable is entirely abutted by adjoining building. Rear (east) elevation is abutted by outbuilding ranges at left and right. Exposed section is rendered and has variety of painted timber 6/6 and 1/2 sashes. Range at left has hipped roof, detailed as east elevation, east elevation has modern square-headed entrance insert at first floor (ground floor is not accessible), left cheek has variety of 6/2 and 6/6 sash windows, windows to ground floor have been blocked, square-headed timber and glazed door to right and basement door accessed by stairs under segmental arch, right cheek is not accessible. Range at right is composed of three blocks; left block is hipped and detailed as south wing with catslide projection to left end, centre block is pitched with random rubble stone walling, square-headed windows, brick jambs and blocked segmental brick arch, right block is detailed as centre block but all windows are blocked, left end abuts extension. Extension has hipped roof, gabled to south, brick walling with blocked square-headed windows. South gable is entirely abutted by adjoining building. The shop house is situated at the centre of Main Street. Roof: Pitched natural slate roof, blue/black clay angled ridge tiles Walling: Painted rendered Windows: Square-headed painted timber 2/2 sash windows, rendered sills RWG: Half-round painted cast-iron gutters

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


The shop, formerly three separate shops, is difficult to date, due to the absence of original detailing, but a date of c.1850 would not be inconsistent with the appearance of the buildings. The building to the west is possibly of an earlier date. There are buildings shown on the site from the time of the 1833 OS Map. Unfortunately the earliest town plan, which dates from 1828-40, has not survived, and the building is not, therefore, identifiable in the Townland Valuation. The first clear mention of the building is in Griffith’s Valuation and on the associated Town Plan of 1856-64, where it is shown as three separate premises, numbered 40, 41 and 42. Number 40 is occupied by Charles Hunter and leased from Mrs Hayne for the Reps of Thomas Pratt. Dimensions are listed: house (29x27x26), basement (29x27x6) and addition (13.6x9.6x14) and 2 offices and all is valued at £12 4s 1d. In Annual Revisions this rises to £20. Number 41 is occupied by Francis Gordon and leased from the Reps of Lieut James Hamilton. Dimensions are: House (44x28x23.6), basement (22x14x6.6), arch (7.6x28x8.6), addition (20x52.6x8.6) and addition (21x44.6x14) and 5 offices, the whole valued at £30.8s. In Annual Revisions this rises to £33. Number 42 is occupied by Pat O’Brien and leased from the Reps of Lieut James Hamilton. Dimensions are: house (10x28x22), basement (10x14x6) and the whole is valued at £2 11s 11d. In Annual Revisions, this rises to £5. From 1877 John Hood owns No 41 in fee and leases No 42 to a succession of tenants. No 40 is occupied by the Wilson Brothers from 1893 and subsequently members of the Wilson family until the 1930s. The buildings are renumbered in the early 1900s, becoming 25, 27 and 29. In c.1935 Frank and William Hood take over the neighbouring shop to the west and become the occupiers in fee of 25 and 27. The premises are described in the valuer’s notebook as, “shops, stores, petrol pump, offices and yard” and plans and dimensions are given for both buildings. The valuer remarks that the premises are a “very well built shop with modern shop windows. Largest and best shop in Newtownstewart and in a good position” and “Premises have central heating and electric light from own plants. Drapery, furniture, hardware etc business carried on in premises.” The shop is valued at £80 later lowered to £70. Shopfront and mosaic threshold is typical of early-twentieth-century design. Shopfront fascia has maker's mark of Clokey's (of Belfast), which was active in the early to mid twentieth century. In 1934 the smaller shop at no 29 is still occupied separately and leased from the Representatives of John Hood. It is valued at £5 and later raised to £6.10s and described as “General shop, front poor, position fairly good. Premises very narrow. Water in yard and WC” The Omagh Almanac and County Tyrone Directory of 1885 list John Hood & Co as ‘Artificial Manure Agent, Coal Merchant, Draper, Dressmaker, Insurance Agent, Timber Merchant and Undertaker.’ In “Newtownstewart Remembered”, a photograph taken c.1904 depicts the three buildings as separate shops and Dunbar comments of the three, “A little sweet shop [the former no 29] changed hands frequently, but at this period in time is thought to have been owned by Maggie Mullan. Hood & Smyth, drapers, ironmongers and undertakers were next, followed by Wilson Brothers, drapers and boot and shoe dealers.” (p.102) References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/6/17/1 – Ordnance Survey Map 1833 2. PRONI OS/6/6/17/2 – Ordnance Survey Map 1854 3. PRONI OS/6/6/17/3 – Ordnance Survey Map 1905 4. PRONI VAL/1A/6/17 – Townland Valuation Map 5. PRONI VAL/1B/637A-F – Townland Valuation Records (1828-1840) 6. PRONI VAL/2/D/6/10 – Griffith’s Valuation Town Plan (1849-1869) 7. PRONI VAL/2/B/6/40B – Griffith’s Valuation Records (1858) 8. PRONI VAL/12/E/160/1 – Annual Revision Records Town Plan (1898) 9. PRONI VAL/12/E/160/2 – Annual Revision Records Town Plan (1908) 10. PRONI VAL/12/B/42/27A-F – Annual Revision Records (1860-1929) 11. PRONI VAL/3/D/7/107/2 – Valuers RV Binders (1933-57) Secondary Sources 1 .Belfast and Ulster Directory, 1900, 1911, 1921/2, 1930, 1939 2. Dunbar, Billy. “Newtownstewart Remembered” Omagh, Strule Press, 1987 3. Omagh Almanac and County Tyrone Directory 1885

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Z. Rarity



Evaluation


Multi-bay former three-storey houses, now a large department store with outuildings, built c.1850, located on the east side of Main Street, Newtownstewart. Despite some internal modernisation, these Victorian buildings with a very rare and well detailed early twentieth-century shopfront, exhibits good proportions, fine shopfront design and craftsmanship with ornate detailing. As a store still used by the community, the structure is of local interest and is the most significant commercial building in Newtownstewart.

General Comments




Date of Survey


28 April 2009