Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB16/08/020


Extent of Listing:
Meeting house


Date of Construction:
1780 - 1799


Address :
Former Quaker Meeting House Newry Street Rathfriland Newry Co Down BT34 5PY


Townland:
Kiltarriff






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
22/09/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
Yes




OS Map No:
253/7

IG Ref:
J1955 3358





Owner Category


Church - Other

Exterior Description And Setting


Former Quaker Meeting House at south end of a graveyard (graves unmarked) on S side of Newry Street. Consists of a small rectangular structure aligned W-E, with a lean-to return on its E gable. To front of the site is a corrugated metal hall (HB16/08/037) also used by the Quakers. Pitched roof, artificial slate to front and natural slate to rear. Granite skews. Half round metal gutters missing. Walls are of random granite rubble with large quoins and advanced eaves, all with a lime render over (now partly failed). Principle elevation faces N towards Newry Street and has a single window opening to centre. It has a granite cill and is now infilled with concrete blockwork and corrugated metal sheeting. Only its timber sash box is exposed. Left (E) gable is blank and abutted by lean-to return, just left of which is an asbestos flue pipe. This has a mono-pitched artificial slate roof and the remains of a half round metal gutter. Its S cheek is blank with evidence of an infilled door. Its E face is blank. Its N cheek contains a doorway, now boarded over with plywood Rear (S) elevation is three windows wide, all equally spaced and sheeted over with corrugated metal sheets. Downpipe to left end. Right (W) gable is blank with a large structural crack to its right end.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


This building is said to have been erected in 1722 (Cartmill) and thus would be the oldest place of worship in the town. However, it does not appear on the Clanwilliam Estate Map of 1776. The reason for this is that the present building was built on the site of the 1722 building. The present building was constructed following the securing of a 51 year lease for the site in 1781. It cost £170. Shown, complete with porch, on 1834 Valuation map. It was closed when the last Quaker in the town (Joseph Murphy of 6 Dromore Street (HB16/08/038)) died. From 1898 the building was used only for occasional Quaker missions but was superseded in early 20thC by timber-framed building just to north (HB16/08/037). This building was captioned on 1918 OS map as a Sunday School. In the 1970s it was the local Scout hut. The 1970s HMBB slide shows the window on the N elevation to be a 6/6 exposed box sliding sash without horns. Mr David Butler, Quaker Historian and Architect who recorded the building in September 2002, has reported that this present building was recorded in the London Yearly meeting of Quakers in 1793. The windows are on the 'quiet' side of the site adjacent to the burial ground. No grave markings or mounds are visible externally but there are reported to be 30 burials. Primary Sources: 1. “Clanwilliam Estate Map” 1776 in Norfolk and Norwich Record Office. 2. Original HMBB survey slide dated 15 January 1970. 3. Ordnance Survey Memoir, Drumballeyroney Parish (1834). 4. PRONI 1834 Valuation town map (1:1760), VAL 1D/3/3. 5.OS 6" map, 4th edition (1903-18) Co Down sheet 41 (PRONI OS 6/3/41/4) Secondary Sources: 1. J.A. McCracken “The Old Quaker Meeting House, R’friland” in Public Library, John St., Rathfriland. 2. P.J. Rankin “Hilltown and Rathfriland List” Belfast (1978-9). 3. C. Cartmill “Reminiscence in and around Rathfriland” in Public Library, John St., Rathfriland.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting

Historic Interest

Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance X. Local Interest



Evaluation


This is a plainly detailed 18thC meeting house set within a churchyard.

General Comments




Date of Survey


08 June 1999