Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB16/28/005


Extent of Listing:
Bank, wall and railings


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Bank of Ireland 12 Trevor Hill Newry Co Down BT34 1DN


Townland:
Carneyhough






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
26/02/1976 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Bank

Former Use
Bank

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
266/7 NW

IG Ref:
J0877 2677





Owner Category


Financial

Exterior Description And Setting


Imposing three storey (+basement) ashlar symmetrical building of classical revival style, with flanking coach arches and railings, situated on east side of Trevor Hill. Roof is hipped natural slate with central valley at ridge level. A pair of small hipped roofs project over a full height extension to rear elevation. There is a parapet gutter to facade and plastic rainwater goods to other elevations. Five chimneys: two to left of roof at right angles to facade, another two right side parallel with facade, all are rectangular in section, finely dressed ashlar granite with moulded copings. Third chimney is square in section; cement rendered and rises from the wall head at right of rear elevation. All walls are constructed in Newry granite. Basement, side and rear elevations are roughly dressed ashlar. G/F front facade is ashlar with V-channelled rustication. Upper floors fine dressed ashlar. Wall details as follows: chamfered projecting stringcourse to facade (and side elevations) between basement and G/F. Plain projecting cill course with moulded throating between G/F and F/F. Parapet is decorated with double raised stringcourse. A modern extension abuts the full width of ground floor at rear and rises full height of building to left. This extension is in reconstituted stone. Side and rear elevations have plain projecting eaves course. Flanking each side of facade at G/F are pair of segmental headed coach arches within smooth ashlar granite walls. Both have plain projecting coping. Left arch provides vehicular and pedestrian access to rear of building, has a pair of large modern sheet metal doors with wicket gate, and a modern projecting Bank of Ireland sign over arch. The right arch has been infilled with reconstituted stone blocks and houses an automatic telling machine. Seven granite steps (supported by a buttress at basement level) lead from street to main entrance in centre of facade. Doorway is set within a shallow semicircular headed recess with voussoirs delineated by V channelled rustication. The wall within the recess is smoothly dressed ashlar. A pair of three fielded panelled painted replacement timber doors (with modern brass furniture) are set within two granite fluted, Doric columns and entablature. Over this, inset to the smooth ashlar is a fanlight with decorative lead tracery. Over the fanlight, painted on the ashlar in gold and black letters are the words, "Bank of Ireland". A modern oval bank logo is fixed to the centre of the fanlight base. Windows to facade are all sliding sashes with recessed boxes and horns. Basement: three equally spaced openings, each with three part lintels with keystones and granite post and block reveals. Windows left and centre are 6/3 sliding sash with granite cills. Window to right has been infilled with granite blocks and cill removed. Ground floor has two identical tripartite windows on either side of central door, consisting of a 6/6 window flanked on either side by a 2/2 sash window. Each has a granite cill and a moulded granite architrave with frieze and projecting cornice over. The words, "Bank of Ireland" are attached to each frieze in affixed gold letters. The three identical first floor 6/6 windows are in line with the openings below, resting on the granite cill course with a similar moulded architrave and entablature as those on G/F. Three horizontal metal bars to lower part. Three 6/6 second floor windows, in line with those below but diminished in height, are on granite cills with ashlar voussoired heads flush to façade. Left elevation: Walls are squared granite blocks laid in courses with stepped ashlar quoins to right corner, a raised chamfered string course between G/F and basement. There are four openings to each floor. Basement L-R louvred opening (former window?) with raised cill (basement paving has been raised up to its new cill level) and vents and pipes entering. Second on left is a modern sheet metal door within a narrowed (cement render to right) larger opening, steps rise to right of this to ground level. Third and fourth openings from left: former windows now infilled with lined cement render (third opening is now partially obscured by the steps, and fourth opening has a raised cill as basement paving has been raised below). Four ground floor openings are identical 6/6 sliding sashes with granite cills, lintels broken by keystones and post and block reveals. The second from the left has had the glass painted black from the inside. All G/F windows have modern painted metal security bars over. First and second floor windows are identical to those at ground floor; but second floor windows are diminished in height. Rear elevation: Walls as left elevation, obscured to G/F and upper floors at left by modern extension. Remaining original openings: two 6/6 sliding sashes to first and second floors, identical to those described on left elevation. The modern extension has a flat roof to its single storey section and vertical floor to ceiling windows along its rear elevation and left elevation. It has a projecting modern porch in the left elevation with door. The right elevation of the extension has no openings. The extension stairwell (abutting rear left of original building) has one fixed 3/3 window on right cheek, and two on left cheek (one each on first and second floor level), and a blank rear wall. Right elevation: Walls as left elevation, stepped ashlar quoins to left side, chamfered stringcourse between G/F and basement. This elevation is three openings wide with central bay opening to stairwell and thus windows are at different levels. Basement openings to left and right have been infilled with lined cement render. Central opening has a segmental head and contains a tripartite window; central section is 6/3 sliding sash flanked by two 1/1 sliding sashes. G/F openings: L-R: (1) partially abutted by autobank structure, has remaining opening infilled. Centre: (below half landing window) is a modern sheet metal escape door with cement surround and bridge over basement by a modern metal fire escape stair. Third opening is a 6/6 sliding sash with no horns, granite cill and modern metal security bars. Between G/F and F/F is a segmental headed opening in the centre of the elevation with a tripartite landing window, consisting a 6/6 sliding sash flanked by 2/2 sashes, with modern metal security grill over. First floor openings (to left and right of elevation): Left is a blind 6/6 sliding sash (with horns and glass painted black internally). To right is a 6/6 sliding sash with horns. Centred between F/F and S/F is a segmental headed opening containing a tripartite window. It is a 6/6 sliding sash flanked by 1/2 sashes (all with no horns). Second floor openings: L-R: 6/6 sliding sash with no horns, centre (over tripartite window) 3/3 sliding sash window with no horns. Third opening is a 6/6 sliding sash with no horns. Modern automatic teller machine structure links right elevation to right coach arch. Rear yard is enclosed by random rubble stone boundary walls. The E end of the yard is enclosed by a steep bank and a rubble stone wall with an arched opening providing access to an outbuilding. It is two storey with pitched natural slate roof, rubble stone walls and t+g sheeted openings. Railings: Those to facade are poor quality modern reproductions and consist of black painted vertical bars with cast spearheads. Railings are clumsily bolted onto original chamfered granite plinth wall. A small fragment of the original cast iron railings of the facade remains at right and appears to be the clawed foot base of a post. Railings to side elevations are original and have plain spikes resting on chamfered base walls.

Architects


Johnston, Francis

Historical Information


Erected 1826 to design by Francis Johnston of Armagh (whose patron was Primate Robinson) on site of an earlier gaol. The 1838 valuation book accords it the highest valuation in Trevor Hill. It has the distinction of being the first branch of the Bank of Ireland to be established in Ulster. It is the oldest surviving commercial building in Newry still serving its original function. Primary sources: 1. Valuation revision books, 1866-1930, PRONI - VAL 1B/389, p.51 Secondary sources: 1. M. Jope (ed) 1966, An archaeological survey of Co Down, p.422 (Belfast: HMSO). 2. Newry Regeneration Trust (1994), Newry Town Trail. 3. Confederation of Community Groups, Newry District (1997), ‘Exploring living memory: Part 4- Newry, the Mournes and South Armagh’, p.35

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship W. Northern Ireland/International Interest



Evaluation


Three storey (+basement) granite ashlar symmetrical building of classical revival style. Externally, it is a very imposing statement of refined architectural quality. However, this important building has lost much of its original character and integrity through renovation and original detailing is confined to external fabric, stairwell and some rooms on the upper floors.

General Comments




Date of Survey


05 April 2000