Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB18/02/002


Extent of Listing:
Churc, gates and walling to Manse Road


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Raffrey Presbyterian Church Manse Road Raffrey Crossgar Co. Down BT30 9LY


Townland:
Raffrey






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
11/02/1980 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
186/11

IG Ref:
J4659 5712





Owner Category


Church - Presbyterian

Exterior Description And Setting


Raffrey Presbyterian Church is a simple two storey gabled building with pointed arch openings. It was built in 1843 and is situated within the tiny hamlet of Raffrey, next to the intersection of the Manse and Carrickmannon Roads, c.3 miles N of Crossgar. The church is surrounded by a small graveyard. The front (SW) façade is symmetrical. To the centre at ground level is the entrance which has panelled double doors with pointed arch fanlight (with curving tracery) a simple surround and label moulding with stops. Directly above the doorway is a small flat arch window with double lancet tracery and simple label moulding over. To the left and to the right of the front façade is a tall pointed arch stairwell window with label moulding over and sash frame with multi-pane, ‘double lancet’-headed, tracery. A projecting course above window level forms a gable tympanum in the centre of which is a small date stone plaque of 1843. There is a small chimney to the gable apex. The front façade is finished in painted lined render with quoins. The NW façade has three tall windows, as front. To the far right the façade projects slightly and there is a tall pointed arch recess to the first floor level and a smaller semicircular headed recess to ground floor level. The façade is finished in painted lined render with an eaves course and quoins to right. The NE façade is a mirror image of this façade. Attached to the rear gable is a modern flat roofed extension containing the minister’s office, toilets etc.. Just above this, to the main façade, are two narrow pointed arch windows, similar to those at front but much smaller. Between these is an odd window which is shaped like an equilateral triangle but with curved sides. This window has stained glass. The rear gable and extension are also finished in painted lined render. Course to verge. The roof is covered in natural slate. Metal rw goods. The church is surrounded by a small graveyard with head stones dating from the 1840s onwards. Low rendered wall to roadside with two sets of decorative wrought iron gates. There is a much modernised two storey house on the S side of the Manse Road (directly opposite the church) with an inscribed plaque which reads ‘Built by JAs McCreery A.D. 1802’. The church hall is attached to the SE gable of this house, and, to the NW gable, there is a built in King Edward VII post box.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


This church was built in 1843. The extension to the rear gable appears to be of recent construction and may have replaced an earlier rear projection. The house on the opposite side of the Manse Road from the church has a date stone which states that it was built by a James McCreery in 1802. Interestingly the cross-roads it stands next to is called ‘McCreery’s Crossroads’ on the OS maps of 1834 and 1859, and on the latter map the house itself is marked as a ‘dispensary’. References- Primary sources 1 PRONI OS/1/3/23 OS map, 1st ed. 1834, Co. Down 23. 2 PRONI OS/6/3/23/2 OS map, 1st rev., 1859, Co. Down 23.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest



Evaluation


Simple two storey gabled Presbyterian church of 1843 with pointed arch windows and entrance door. To the rear gable there is a relatively small, single storey, flat roofed extension. The church is surrounded by a small graveyard.

General Comments




Date of Survey


30 June 1999