Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:

Extent of Listing:
Building, area wall, entrance steps.

Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839

Address :
24 Cookstown Road Moneymore Magherafelt Co Londonderry BT45 7QF


Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
29/04/1980 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Rectories/ Manses etc

Former Use
Rectories/ Manses etc

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
H8542 8281

Owner Category

Church - C of I

Exterior Description And Setting

A 3 bay wide, 2 storey, triple roof house with basement, stone faced and slated. A flight of 7 steps ascend to front entrance, a fine classical Roman Doric composition of ¾ engaged columns on each side of 6 fielded panel door, complete with pedestal bases, glazed side screens in margin glazing, with outer pilasters supporting an entablature of triglyphs and metopes and cornice, in ashlar sandstone. The entrance landing spans across the basement area. On each side a single 12 pane double hung sliding sash window and at 1st floor 3 no. similar windows but of lesser height. At basement level 2 no. 6 pane double hung sliding sash windows protected by metal grill. Walls of redstone, snecked with fine lime mortar joints. A sandstone band stringcourse defining ground floor circumscribing the building. The plan of the building appears to be a square and the front Palladian in proportion. Good roof overhang all round supported on pairs of moulded sprockets, fascia, ogee metal gutter and downpipes not in front façade. Natural slated triple roofs, hipped, valleys parallel to front, lead ridges, hips and valleys. 2 wide in depth chimney stacks straddle ridge of front roof with very tall pots and a further stack between the 2nd and 3rd roofs. The SE side has a single large 8 light window, the tall lower lights divided into 5 panes each, no opening lights. Balancing this window a blank of similar size. At 1st floor 2 no. 12 pane double hung sliding sash windows and a blank of equal size, each evenly space. The triple pile roofs are not expressed on this side (probably not original). 1 no. 6 pane double hung sliding sash window under G.F. window at basement level and 2 blanks all evenly spaced, single downpipe. The SW side has 4, 12 pane double hung sliding sash windows at ground floor and similar at 1st floor, evenly spaced but of lesser height and at basement level 4 no. 6 pane double hung sliding sash windows with iron grills. This elevation has 8 no. vertical pipes, 1 downpipe, 7 waste and ventilation pipes. The NW side has an arched 18 pane double hung sliding sash window at staircase and passing landing, a 6 pane double hung sliding sash window above and below, the latter with iron grill. To right of window a projecting bay with lean-to roof housing toilet. To the left a 12 pane double hung sliding sash window to a 1st floor room. The paired soffit sprockets are all round. At basement a sheeted door and single 6 pane double hung sliding sash window contained within a smooth rendered panel. The building has a forecourt in front with lawns around S and W and a terrace to the NE accessed by steps from basement area opposite back door and from main avenue. Outbuildings are to the west and grouped around an enclosed yard to which there is access from the terrace and also from the main avenue. The outbuildings consists of a 2 storey stone built 4 bay coachhouse with 2 no. 2 pane double hung sliding sash windows on either side of flight of external steps leading to 1st floor door. Both gables without windows and façade to yard has 2 no. segmented arched coach doors and 2 no. single sheeted doors. At 1st floor 3 no. louvred openings. Slated and hipped roof. At the SE end of the yard a part open and closed shed/store with 3 open bays with circular cast iron columns supporting timber beam carrying roof. On each side random stone walling enclosing stores with single sheeted door to each. The remainder of yard enclosed with stone wall with double gates at gable of coachhouse. The rectory is sited in secluded wooded grounds with long avenue approach from the Cookstown Road. The gate piers in brick are not original as there was road realignment in the recent past.


Leathem, Mr

Historical Information

The rectory was built in 1831. In recent times it has had a considerable amount of repair work carried out in the basement and 6 years ago the roof was retimbered and slated. Mr Leathem, diocesan architect supervised the work. The plan arrangement of the Moneymore rectory is not unlike that of the former rectory at Banagher in the Feeny Ward (see HB02/05/003A) nor are the form and elevational treatment. Banagher was erected in 1817 and may have been designed by John Bowden who was architect to the Board of First Fruits at the time. He was dead by 1831 but he seems to have influenced the Glebe House at Moneymore, though the latter is a more better resolved plan and has more subtle detail. The Parish of Desertlyn is in the arch diocese of Armagh. References Primary Sources 1. O.S. Map 1832 Londonderry sh. 48. 2. O.S. Map 1832 Rev. 1856 Londonderry sh. 48. 3. O.S. Map 1906 Rev. 1975 Londonderry sh. 109. 4. Lewis, Topographical History of Ireland p. 456

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

Z. Rarity X. Local Interest


A handsome, well proportioned rectory in Georgian style with Palladian qualities and probably influenced and by John Bowden, architect to the Board of First Fruits. The building has a good interior retaining much of original detail. The setting of the building enhances it and has neatly kept and preserved outbuildings.

General Comments

Date of Survey

18 November 2000