Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB16/28/032


Extent of Listing:
Bridge


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Ballybot Bridge Newry Co Down BT34


Townland:
Lisdrumgullion






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
26/10/1995 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Bridge

Former Use
Bridge

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
Yes

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
266/7 NW

IG Ref:
J0842 2622





Owner Category


Central Govt

Exterior Description And Setting


Ballybot Bridge carries the road over the Newry River between Mill Street and King Street. It is of finely dressed granite ashlar construction throughout. A single shallow segmental arch is set between projecting abutments which are partially rusticated. The arch has an ashlar soffit and its v-jointed voussoirs are stepped (in groups of three) into the v-channelled horizontal coursing of the spandrels. The parapets comprise individual blocks of almost smooth granite ashlar and have chamfers along each top edge. Each block is laid an end and stands 122cm high, 60-70cm across and 40cm deep. The parapets terminate in a partly-rusticated pier at each end, these continuing up from the abutments and with shallow hipped capstones. A string course, of semicircular profile, runs below the outside face of the parapet and continues around the abutments. A footpath runs on either side of the road.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


A 1587 map of Newry shows a ford at this location, which was the principal route across the river from High Street to the Dublin Road. John Rocque's c.1760 map of Co Armagh depicts a multi-span bridge at this location which is captioned as 'Old Bridge'. The 1836 Ordnance Survey Memoir describes it thus: "It is composed of granite and is 168 feet long and including the parapet walls 22 feet broad. It consists of five arches." The present bridge is an 1846 replacement. Primary Sources: 1. F.J. Small, 1876, ‘Historical sketch of Newry’, p.71 (Newry). 2. J. Rocque, c.1760, 'Map of Co Armagh' (PRONI - D602). 3. Ordnance Survey Memoir, Newry Parish. Secondary Sources: 1. T. Canavan, 1989, 'Frontier town: an illustrated history of Newry', p.152 (Belfast: Blackstaff Press).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form F. Structural System

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest



Evaluation


A bridge of finely dressed granite ashlar construction, elegantly proportioned and skilfully built. The parapet excepted, it is almost identical in style to Needham Bridge, built just upstream in 1831. Although the parapet is somewhat austere, its massive granite slabs are remarkable.

General Comments




Date of Survey


03 April 2000