Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB16/07/027


Extent of Listing:
Church, gates and piers


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Clonduff Presbyterian Church Bannfield Road Ballynagappoge Rathfriland Newry Co Down BT34 5HG


Townland:
Ballynagappoge






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
22/09/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
254/1

IG Ref:
J2394 3385





Owner Category


Church - Presbyterian

Exterior Description And Setting


Small mid 19th C church on N side of Bannfield Road, with graveyard to E and modern church hall to W. Hipped natural slate roof (ridge aligned N-S) with semicircular plastic gutters and downpipe at SW corner. All walls are pebble-dashed with smooth cement basecourse and similarly rendered corners. Front elevation faces S onto road. Two Gothic headed doorways, one to left and one to right, form the main entrances. Each contains a pair of stained sheeted timber doors with brass latches. Over each pair is a fixed Y tracery Gothic headed transom light with orange and red glazing. Doorways have smooth cement architraves. To centre of this elevation, in line with transom heads, is a small stone plaque with incised letters: “Clonduff / Presbyterian Church / Erected 1842”. Directly below this is a modern light fitting. Above, to left and right of plaque, is a small octagonal window to gallery. Each has a moulded reveal, fine glazing bars and coloured glazing. West elevation has three large Gothic windows. Each has a pair of tall concrete framed lancets with Y tracery heads, stained glass insets and concrete cills. East elevation is identical. North elevation has two similar lancet windows and is abutted to ground floor left and right by small single storey post-War session rooms which link with church. The rooms have a hipped natural slate roof aligned W-E and painted smooth rendered walls. Rooms have windows that are modern stained timber with thin concrete cills. There is a modern stained timber door in the west and east elevations, both with overlights. The link block has a flat felt roof and painted smooth cement rendered walls. Ther is a small high level top tung window in each cheek with thin concrete cills. Setting Front of church and graveyard on both sides is enclosed by a painted rendered and coped wall with small concave screen forming entrance and containing a pair of ashlar granite gate piers with pyramidal copings and large antique street lamp lanterns. Pair of cast iron pedestrian gates with close bars and spear head finials lead into concrete paved area of front of church. Inside grounds are mature box hedges and small areas of lawn. Churchyard to E is small and dates from mid 19th c. No memorials of interest save for a mausoleum in SE corner. This is of granite rubble with vaulted segmental head. On its W gable is a small plaque stating that it was erected by John Watterson to his father Robert who died in 1852. Hall to W of church was built c1990. It has concrete tile roof, dashed walls and modern timber windows. To its S and W are parking areas.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


The church was built to accommodate the congregations from Rathfriland and Ballyronan, which were expanding rapidly in the 1830s. The Clonduff congregation was established in early 1840 and worshipped in a small local building. On 28th March 1840 a deputation from the congregation met with Lord Downshire to solicit a site and financial help for the construction of their new church which was opened two years later. Early this century the oil lamps in the church were donated by Dr Margaret Byres (founder of Victoria College, Belfast); these were later converted to electricity. Also at this time the choir rail and pulpit were installed; the choir was enlarged in 1942 on the removal of four pews. The suite of rooms to rear was built in the early 1960s, and the two doors from the church were inserted then. Before this time the pulpit was accessed through the rear wall by steps from the minister's room. The new work was dedicated in April 1965. The congregation amalgamated with that at Hilltown (HB16/07/002) on 24th February 1966. The building was re-rendered in 1972 and a new organ was installed. The car park in front of the school was created in 1975. The church hall, which opened on 1 Sept 1990, occupies the site of the former hall, which was originally a school from 1900 to 1967. Primary sources: 1. Datestone on church. 2. Arial photograph of buildings in kirk session room. Secondary sources: 1. J. McNeilly (1992), A history of Clonduff Presbyterian Church 1842-1992.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style D. Plan Form H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


Relatively unaltered, the interior has impressive original timberwork and box pews. The exterior has been marred somewhat by modern refurbishment.

General Comments




Date of Survey


16 March 1999