Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB05/14/002


Extent of Listing:
Memorial


Date of Construction:
1880 - 1899


Address :
O’Connor Memorial The Diamond Ballycastle Co Antrim


Townland:
Town Parks






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
09/09/1980 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Memorial

Former Use
Memorial

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
8/12 NE

IG Ref:
D1146 4069





Owner Category




Exterior Description And Setting


A sandstone built memorial in the form of Gothic style pinnacle, approximately 6 metres high by 1.2 metres at base. The memorial rests on a circular base of granite forming 2 steps. The the roughly square plinth, built of local pinkish sandstone, has a functional feature with a drinking fountain on the side facing Holy Trinity Church and on the opposite a water trough in granite. On the other 2 sides are plaques, one recording the name of George Matthew O’Connor, a medical doctor, d. 20 Nov. 1887 and opposite the coat of arms of the O’Connor, both in black granite. The plaques and sources of water are within a recessed ogee pointed and moulded frame with a similar ogee hood moulding over. Miniature shoulder buttresses form the arrises of the base. Above the plaques the memorial transforms into an octagon with sloping sides in 2 courses which form the starter for a miniature arcade of 8 gothic arches complete with bases, circular polished red granite columns, capitals and above an octagonal moulded cornice. This supports a slender 8 sided spire with gabled base and leafy finial. The fountains no longer operate and metal plates hide the water sources. The street paving surrounding of the base have changed a number of times since construction and especially since listing. Currently the circular base is set in a wider circular shallow declivity, finished in rows of cobbles and a series of shaped concrete blocks forming a protective screen except in front of the water trough. The memorial sits in the middle of the Diamond, its Gothic style frowning at the Greco-Roman character of the Holy Trinity Church. The immediate vicinity of the memorial is also paved with cobbles in straight lines. The space is usually occupied by parked cars.

Architects


Pope, S Kelway

Historical Information


The memorial was erected in 1899 to the memory of Dr George Matthew O’Connor, a local medical practioner, who also was the fever hospital (workhouse) doctor. He was born 1st June 1817 and died 1887. Like the good doctor, the memorial tends to the needs of the populace, quenching their thirst and that of their animals. The designer, Pope, was of Southampton and the memorial was built by 2 masons named Charles Darragh and Andy Vernon for a cost of £352-10-0. References Primary Sources 1. O.S. Map Ballycastle 1904 Secondary Sources 1. UAHS Glens of Antrim p. 46, 48 2. Coleraine Tribune 1 May 1985 Art by C Dallat 3. Ballycastle Conservation Area Booklet DOE EHS

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


A late 19th cent. Gothic style memorial forming a drinking fountain for man and beast, some 6 metres high in pink sandstone on a grey granite base, sited in the centre of the Diamond in Ballycastle. Of special interest for its style, design,ornament and setting which contributes to the designed layout of the town at this point and for its association with a local historical figure.

General Comments




Date of Survey


11 September 2000