Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB05/03/019


Extent of Listing:
Church, walling, piers and gates.


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Cushendun Parish Church Church of Ireland Cushendun Co. Antrim


Townland:
Cushendun






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
23/10/1980 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
17/9SE

IG Ref:
D2477 3286





Owner Category




Exterior Description And Setting


Gothic-style local reddish sandstone former chapel of ease with two-stage bell tower to west elevation, built c.1838. Rectangular on plan with projections to both east and west sides, principle elevation faces south east with entrance door within the bell tower to the south end. Erected on land which formed part of the grounds of Glenmona Lodge (HB05.03.023) with sandstone boundary wall containing two square sandstone pillars and wrought iron entrance gates to south east boundary. The church underwent general remedial work in 1993, was deconsecrated in 2003 and has remained vacant up to time of survey. Pitched natural slate roof with terracotta ridge tiles, gable parapets and small chimney to north-east gable with clay pot. Half round aluminium guttering supported on rise and fall brackets at projecting eaves level, guttering discharges to circular aluminium downpipes throughout. Principal elevation to the South-east side is of rough coursed squared Devonian Sandstone with local carboniferous sandstone dressings. Windows are gothic-pointed Y Tracery having diamond paned lead lights with border and opening lights at arch spring. Projecting ashlar plinth course with square floor ventilation grilles below windows with ashlar architrave. Gothic-pointed doorcase to base of West tower containing sheeted timber double doors and panel above, two steps up from ground level. Upper level of tower contains gothic-pointed painted timber louvered panel with Y Tracery design on sandstone sill above continuous moulded sandstone string course. Projecting ashlar sandstone parapet to tower supporting four hexagonal tapering ashlar sandstone finials, one to each corner. Small vestry to north-east with roughly squared and coursed sandstone with matching plinth course and flat concrete roof, small timber framed Y Tracery window with plain glass, slightly off-centre. South-west elevation is of rough coursed squared Devonian Sandstone with local carboniferous sandstone dressings. Window is gothic-pointed Y Tracery having diamond paned lead lights with border and opening lights at arch spring. Projecting ashlar plinth course to base of tower. Upper level of tower contains gothic-pointed painted timber louvered panel with Y Tracery design on sandstone sill above continuous moulded sandstone string course. Projecting ashlar sandstone parapet to tower supporting four hexagonal tapering ashlar sandstone finials, one to each corner. North-west elevation to the rear is of rough coursed squared Devonian Sandstone with local carboniferous sandstone dressings. Windows are gothic-pointed Y Tracery having diamond paned lead lights with border and opening lights at arch spring. Projecting ashlar plinth course with square floor ventilation grilles below windows. Upper level of west tower contains gothic-pointed painted timber louvered panel with Y Tracery design on sandstone sill above continuous moulded sandstone string course. Projecting ashlar sandstone parapet to tower supporting four hexagonal tapering ashlar sandstone finials, one to each corner. Small vestry to north-east with roughly squared and coursed sandstone with matching plinth course and flat concrete roof, timber sheeted door centre of vestry wall two steps up from ground level. North-east elevation is of rough coursed squared Devonian Sandstone with local carboniferous sandstone dressings. Windows are gothic-pointed Y Tracery having diamond paned lead lights with border and opening lights at arch spring. Projecting ashlar plinth course with square floor ventilation grilles below windows with ashlar architrave. Upper level of west tower contains gothic-pointed painted timber louvered panel with Y Tracery design on sandstone sill above continuous moulded sandstone string course. Projecting ashlar sandstone parapet to tower supporting four hexagonal tapering ashlar sandstone finials, one to each corner. Smooth rendered chancel gable with pitched slate roof and gothic-arched triple lancet windows with stained glass bearing the coat of arms of the O'Neill family of Rockport (HB05.03.023) flanked by single gothic-pointed single lancet windows with diamond paned lead lights. Small vestry at base with roughly squared and coursed sandstone with matching plinth course and flat concrete roof. Setting: Set within its own grounds defined by a sandstone boundary wall with entrance pillars and wrought iron gates, located in the grounds of Glenmona Lodge (HB05.03.023) to the eastern extremity of Cushendun village, within the Cushendun Conservation Area. Roof: Natural slate RWG : Aluminium Walling: Local sandstone Windows : Y tracery diamond-paned

Architects




Historical Information


Cushendun Old Church, a sandstone Gothic-style church located in the townland of Cushendun and consisting of a nave, chancel and tower, was constructed in c. 1838. Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of Ireland recorded that the first church in the parish of Culfeightrin was erected in 1830 and was located to the western extremity of the parish. Cushendun Old Church was constructed as part of the development of the village of Cushendun in the early-19th century. The Napoleonic Wars in Europe had encouraged travel throughout Ireland and resulted in the development of new routes and hotels along the Antrim Coast for tourists travelling to the Glens and the Giant’s Causeway. The village of Cushendun possessed a predominantly Roman Catholic population however, with the development of the coastal road and the construction of a number of summer residences or ‘bathing lodges’ at the village, a new house of worship for the local Church of Ireland population was required (Cushendun Conservation Area Guide). In 1837 Lewis wrote that ‘it is in contemplation to erect a chapel of ease at Cushendun, now a fashionable watering-place, at the eastern extremity of the parish, and seven miles distant from the mother church (Lewis). Cushendun Church was constructed between 1837 and 1840; Leslie records that the first curate was appointed to the chapel of ease in the latter year. Cushendun Old Church was erected on land which formed part of the grounds of Glenmona Lodge (HB05/03/020) and was leased by the Harrison family; a memorial tablet to Michael Harrison was installed in the north wall of the church following his death in 1846. Further features of the church include the east window which bears the Coat of Arms of the O’Neill family of Rockport (HB05/03/023). The architect of Cushendun Old Church is not known, however the Natural Stone Database records that the building was constructed of locally-quarried Devonian Sandstone (Cross Slieve Group) with local Carboniferous Sandstone utilised as a secondary material (Lewis; Leslie, p. 137; NSD). The chapel of ease at Cushendun was recorded on the second edition Ordnance Survey map (1857) which depicted it as a simple rectangular-shaped building possessing projections to its west and east gables. The contemporary Griffith’s Valuation (1859) set the value of the church (exempt from taxation) at £6 at which it remained until the 1930s. There were few changes to the church over the following century although the church website notes that a renovation of the building was made in the early-20th century that included the addition of a small extension to the vestry and the replacement of the flagstone floor with a wooden one. The chapel was depicted along its current layout on the detailed Ordnance Survey Town Plan of 1904. Membership of the church remained low throughout its history, although the congregation was swelled in the summer when holidaymakers flocked to the village; the chapel of ease was joined to the Parish of Layde in 1908 as a result of falling membership. Under the First General Revaluation of Property in Northern Ireland (1936-57) the value of the church was increased to £40, however this was lowered to £32 by the end of the Second General Revaluation (1956-72). In 1972 the UAHS Guide for the Glens of Antrim described Cushendun Old Church in the following terms: ‘A plain and pretty little country church of reddish rubble, with tall slim pointed windows, and very tall slim hexagonal tapering pinnacles, but with a little wobbly, like a snails horns on the top of its square tower. The interior simple and austere’ (UAHS Guide, p. 42). Cushendun Old Church was listed and included in the Cushendun Conservation Area in 1980. Cushendun Old Church was joined to Ardclinis and Tickmacrevan in 1987, but a declining congregation resulted in the deconsecration of the church in 2003 (Leslie, p. 137). The NIEA HB Records note that the church underwent general remedial work in 1993, however following the deconsecration of the building, the church swiftly fell into a state of disrepair and was added to the Buildings at Risk Register. Due to the perseverance of the Cushendun Building Preservation Trust the vacant church was entered into, and won, the Northern Ireland heat of the B.B.C. television series Restoration Village in 2006. The church failed to win at the final stage but in December 2014 the Heritage Lottery Fund earmarked more than £260,000 for the restoration of the building. During the Second Survey it was announced that the Lottery funding would be used to restore the former church and convert it into a village hub and arts centre (NIEA HB Records; Belfast Telegraph; Belfast Newsletter). References Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/1/15/1 – First Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1832) 2. PRONI OS/6/1/15/2 – Second Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1857) 3. PRONI OS/6/1/15/3 – Third Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1903-04) 4. PRONI OS/6/1/15/4 – Fourth Edition Ordnance Survey Map (1922) 5. PRONI VAL/2/B/1/27B – Griffith’s Valuation (1859) 6. PRONI VAL/12/B/2/8A-D – Annual Revisions (1864-1923) 7. PRONI VAL/3/C/1/5 – First General Revaluation of Property in Northern Ireland (1936-57) 8. PRONI VAL/4/B/1/11 – Second General Revaluation of Property in Northern Ireland (1956-72) 9. Ordnance Survey Memoirs, Co. Antrim IV, Vol. 13 (1830-38) 10. Lewis’ Topographical Dictionary of Ireland (1837) 11. Ulster Town Directories (1861-1918) 12. First Survey Record – HB05/03/019 (1971) 13. NIEA HB Record – HB05/03/019 14. NIEA Buildings at Risk Register – BARNI 05/03/001 15. Belfast Newsletter (18 Dec 2014) 16. Belfast Telegraph (18 Dec 2014) Secondary Sources 1. Brett, C. E. B., ‘List of historic buildings, groups of buildings and areas of architectural importance in the Glens of Antrim’ Belfast: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1972. 2. Leslie, J. B., ‘Clergy of Connor: From Patrician times to the present day’ Belfast: Ulster Historical Foundation, 1994. 3. ‘Cushendun Village Conservation Area’ Belfast: Department of the Environment, 1980. 4. ‘Cushendun Conservation Area’ Belfast: Department of the Environment, 1996 – includes Ordnance Survey Town Plan of 1904. Online Resources 1. Natural Stone Database - http:// www.stonedatabase.com/ 2. Dictionary of Irish Architects - http:// www.dia.ie/ 3. Cushendun Old Church website - https:// cushendunbpt.wordpress.com/history/

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

R. Age S. Authenticity T. Historic Importance X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


A simple gothic-style chapel of ease built from local sandstone with square bell tower, no longer in use as a church, erected on land forming part of the grounds of Glenmona Lodge (HB05/03/020), Cushendun. Built c.1838. Rectangular on plan, principal elevation faces South-east. Set within its own grounds behind sandstone boundary wall with sandstone pillars and wrought iron gates. A well proportioned building; the exterior retains most of its distinctive features and character with detailing consistent for its period and style. The buidling is of important historic and social interest in the village.

General Comments




Date of Survey


20 January 2015