Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB24/07/003


Extent of Listing:
Church, walling, gates and railings


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
First Presbyterian Church High Street Donaghadee Co. Down


Townland:
Donaghadee






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
20/12/1976 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
132/4

IG Ref:
J5909 7991





Owner Category


Church - Presbyterian

Exterior Description And Setting


Restrained and dignified two storey classical church of 1824, set well back beyond the main line of High Street. The front (SE) facade is dominated by a central pediment with clock in tympanum, supported on four Doric columns. Between both the first and second and second and third and fourth columns is a semicircular headed arch recess with panelled double doors and semicircular radial fanlight. Between the second and third columns is a semicircular headed window with stained glass Biblical scene. To the first floor, in the gap between each column is a window opening with segmental arch head, three windows in all, all with sash frames, with Georgian panes. The facade, beyond the pediment is topped with an eaves cornice and blocking course. The facade is painted dark brown with the columns and the outline of the pediment in white/cream The NW facade has witnessed much alteration in recent years. Attached to this facade is a large modern gabled building which contains a hall and church offices. Thus the bottom half of the original NW facade of the church has been obscured, with only a window opening to the far right on the first floor (same shape as front but with recent stained glass) is still visible. The still visible upper portion of finished in lined cement render and has six recesses (shaped as windows to front) all of which are blocked apart from the second and third from the right which have modern windows with Georgian panes. Within the hall section which covers the original ground level of this facade there are still two windows to the right (as first floor) but these now look into a corridor, no longer actually lighting the interior of the church The SE facade is also finished in lined cement render (which appears to have been patched in certain places. To the upper level are six recesses as NW facade. The three to the left are windows (the two outer of which have recent stained glass with a window, as NW facade, to that in between). To the ground floor at the left are two similar windows, with frames as first floor NW facade. To the far left on the ground floor of the SE facade is a small flat roofed projection which appears to link to church office extensions attached to the rear of the building. The rear facade has two tall semicircular headed windows with recent stained glass. To the lower level of this facade there is a long lean to boiler house extension and at each end of the facade there are taller, modern, flat roofed, church office extensions. The rear facade is also finished in cement render. The roof is hipped and covered in Bangor blue slates. PVC rw goods. To the front of the church is a paved forecourt bounded (to the street) by a low rendered wall with wrought iron spear head railings and decorative, late Victorian gates. Large tree near railings. This church is now largely hemmed in on all sides bar the front. To the SE facade is a very narrow laneway.

Architects




Historical Information


This church was built in 1824 at a cost of £815 pounds ‘which was defrayed by subscription’. It replaced an earlier building originally sited further to the SE of the town, near the still entitled Meetinghouse Street. The building originally accommodated about 500. In 1895 the gallery was added, the walls replastered and new pews installed. The next major change came in 1926 when six new windows were inserted (including one to each side of the pulpit which have since been blocked), the pulpit altered and the pipe organ installed. In 1962-63 the church hall was built to the NW side and in 1980-81 and again in 1992 this was extended and renovated. References- Primary sources 1. PRONI MIC IP/167 Records of Donaghadee 1st Presbyterian Church 1783-1950. 2. PRONI OS Maps 1st ed. 1834, Co. Down 3. 3. Ordnance Survey Memoirs of Ireland Vol.7: Parishes of County Down II, ed. Angelique Day and Patrick McWilliams (QUB 1991), p.47. 4. PRONI OS Maps 1st rev. 1858-60, Co. Down 3. Secondary sources. 1. First Presbyterian Church Donaghadee 1642-1992 (Church publication 1992). 2. Hugh Dixon et al Historic buildings, groups of buildings, buildings of architectural importance in Donaghadee and Portpatrick (UAHS 1977), p.16.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance X. Local Interest



Evaluation


Locally important classical style Presbyterian church of 1824, with Doric columned and pedimented front facade, set back from the line of High Street.

General Comments




Date of Survey


08 May 1998