Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB23/05/002


Extent of Listing:
Hall


Date of Construction:
1860 - 1879


Address :
Orange Hall 18 Hamilton Road Bangor Co Down BT20 4LF


Townland:
Corporation






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
06/01/1975 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
Hall

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
115/12

IG Ref:
J5059 8168





Owner Category


Orange Order

Exterior Description And Setting


A semi-detached three-bay two-storey Orange Hall built 1872 to designs by Francis Stirrat. Rectangular on plan with two-storey gabled porch to front. Pitched tiled roof with raised stone skew and kneelers to gable; rectangular rendered chimneystacks with plinth and terracotta pots. Half-round, cast-iron rainwater goods on drive-in brackets. Walling is smooth ruled-and-lined render. Windows are 2/2 timber sliding sash to front (replacement), and 6/6 timber sliding sash to rear, unless otherwise stated. Those to projecting porch have label moulds to ground floor and gothic hood moulds to first floor. The principal elevation faces south and is dominated by a large projecting porch with stained glass central lancet window to first floor, sharing hood-moulding with blind niches to either side. To ground floor there is a sheeted timber door to right and a replacement timber door to left; between them a diminutive paired window with chamfered surrounds: window openings to exposed sections of projecting porch. To either side of porch, the main rectangular block has two window openings to ground floor with chamfered surrounds; large single pointed-headed windows to first floor. Date-stone to gable marked “Bangor Orange Hall AD 1872”. The west gable has a timber door with transom light to left. The north (rear) elevation is four openings wide. Abutted by a small single-storey lean-to to left with simple timber door. The east elevation is abutted by adjoining building. Setting Located to the north of the Hamilton road in Bangor town centre. Enclosed to front by smooth render wall with painted chamfered plinth. Access to rear by way of small laneway; rear elevation completely enclosed by rubble stone wall. Roof: Tiled Walling: Render Windows: Timber RWG: Cast-iron

Architects


Francis Stirrat

Historical Information


The Hall is dated 1872 and is first shown on the third edition OS map of 1901. It first appears in the valuation field book dating from 1872-82 as an Orange Hall occupied by the Orange Society and leased from Robert E Ward and valued at £28. The architect was Francis Stirrat (Reference, Belfast Newsletter June 18th, 1872) In 1886 the valuation was dropped to £25, although no reason is given for this. No further changes are made in Annual Revisions. According to the Downpatrick Recorder of 11 April, 1874, the site was donated by Robert E Ward, DL and the foundation stone was laid by Miss Ward on 17 June 1872. The hall was opened on 6 April 1874 and cost £600. Patton states that the lodge was built by the Orangemen themselves and used highly effective sound insulation between floors in order to be able to conduct meetings upstairs while the Lambeg drum was used downstairs. (Patton, p.90) References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/3/2/3 – Third Edition OS Map 1901 2. PRONI OS/6/3/2/4 – Fourth Edition OS Map 1919-26 3. PRONI OS/6/3/2/5 – Fifth Edition OS Map 1939 4. PRONI VAL/12/B/23/7A-K – Annual Revisions (1866-99) 5. PRONI VAL/12/B/23/9A-S – Annual Revisions (1900-1930) 6. PRONI VAL/12/B/17/10A-G – Annual Revisions (1867-1930) 7. PRONI VAL/12/E/129/1 – Annual Revisions Town Plans (c.1864-1899) 8. PRONI VAL/12/E/129/2 – Annual Revisions Town Plans (1898-c.1916) 9. Downpatrick Recorder, 11 April, 1874 Secondary Sources 1. Patton, M, “Bangor, An Historical Gazetteer” Belfast: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1999 2. Belfast Newsletter June 18th, 1872

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H-. Alterations detracting from building

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


A three-bay two-storey Orange Hall built 1872 to designs by Francis Stirrat. Its detailing represents a robust and municipal style. A notable feature is the sound insulation between the floors; allowing for band practice and meetings at the same time. Although alterations have been made, the hall remains as a good example of civic architecture of a small scale by a local architect.

General Comments




Date of Survey


25 June 2010