Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:

Extent of Listing:
House and barn

Date of Construction:
1600 - 1649

Address :
4 Trummery Lane Trummery Maghaberry Craigavon Co. Antrim BT67 0JN


Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
25/05/1982 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:

Former Use
Thatched House

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
J1745 6279

Owner Category


Exterior Description And Setting

Trummery Lane proceeds in a northerly direction from the road from Moira to Lisburn in the direction of Maghaberry about 1.5 miles from the former town. After a short distance the Lane crosses the railway line and about half a mile from the intersection reaches the house located on the east side accessed between a pair of traditional gate pillars at the end of a short street. The house, gabled to the Lane and adjoining structures face south. The appearance of the house is single storey but accommodation was originally provided within the loft and there is evidence that fenestration was by means of wide eaves windows only about 6” deep. The stone walls have a roughcast and whitened finish and the roof is thatched below a covering of corrugated iron. There are two corbelled-topped chimneystacks on the ridgeline and that over the hearth is positioned longitudinally. The entrance is flanked on the left (west) by two plain sashed vertically sliding windows lighting the parlour and a further window of the top-hung variety lights a bedroom at the extreme left of the frontage. To the right (east) of the entrance there are a further two plain sashed vertically sliding windows. The openings are without sills. The roadside (west) gable is punctuated by an entrance containing a timber sheeted door but otherwise there are no openings. At the rear from the right (west) the sequence of openings is as follows: - A fixed widow with horizontal division lighting a bedroom followed by a blocked opening, then a double pair of 9-pane windows in the kitchen wall and finally a metal framed window with vertical division lighting the end bedroom. The buildings extend along the street first as a dwelling (No 3 Trummery Lane) that has a modern roof construction and then as a barn with a traditional roof made up of rough hewn scantlings, uncleaned twigs, scraws and thatch under corrugated iron.


Not Known

Historical Information

The first valuation of 1834 describes the building as thatched with dimensions similar to those currently existing. The rateable value was £3.2.6. John Wilson was the owner in 1834, the condition was good and the opinion was that that the building was of considerable age at that time. A single storey barn and stone outbuilding are included. Alan Gailey states that no imported hearth-lobby British vernacular houses that developed into an Irish form survive from the early seventeenth century and the earliest remaining may be the cruck house at Trummery. Philip Robinson is of the opinion that the remains of a datestone indicate that the house was built in 1629 and as such it is the only known structure to survive from the very first years of the Plantation as all the other so-called “Plantation” houses date from after the 1641 Rebellion” References – Primary Sources 1. OS map, 1st edition 1834, Co Antrim. (The house is named “Aughnagary” on this and on subsequent maps) 2. OS map, 1st revision 1859, Co Antrim. 3. PRONI - VAL/1A/1/67 - 1st Valuation map, Magheramesk, 1834 4. PRONI – VAL/1B/175 – 1st Valuation book, Magheramesk, 1834 5. PRONI – VAL/2A/1/67A – 2nd Valuation map, Mageramesk, 1859 6. PRONI – VAL/2B/1/62B – 2nd Valuation book, Magheramesk, 1859 Secondary sources 1. Gailey, Alan, Rural Houses of the North of Ireland, pp. 10, 23, 25, 31, 33, 34, 71, 73, 74, 75, 76, 78, 80-83, 84-86, 87, 88, 89-90, 91, 92, 118, 128, 130, 135, 188, 191, 193, 194, 196, 254, 260. 2. Robinson, Philip, Further Cruck Houses in South Antrim : Problems of Cultural-Historical Interpretation, Reprinted from the Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, Volume 112, 1982. Other References 1. Robinson, Philip, UFTM, letter dated 10 December 1981 accompanied by sketches of plan, front elevation and construction. 2. Robinson, Philip, UFTM, letter dated 18 October 1982 accompanied by information as forwarded to the owner on that date. 3. Robinson Philip, UFTM, report dated 30 November 1983 on the subject of the Ballyvollen Cruck House drawing attention to the continuing existence of only one other example of the retention of continuous English style trusses (at 4 Trummery Lane) 4. Hatrick, Colin, Monitoring of Thatched Buildings, report to EHS dated 20 May 1994. 5 Letters and reports in EHS file since date of listing.

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form F. Structural System I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

W. Northern Ireland/International Interest Z. Rarity


This house sits alongside Trummery Lane and faces south. It is a little over two miles from Moira north of the Moira to Lisburn road. As far as is known this is the only building that retains a continuous cruck truss with evidence of remains of parts of another similar member. The associated timberwork, including the bressumer, is of high interest.Similar trusses from Glenavy and Corbally have been relocated to the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum. Documentary evidfence shows the house as being there in the early 19th. C b ut it could be much older , possibly early 17th.C.

General Comments

Date of Survey

15 January 2001