Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB16/28/009


Extent of Listing:
Front block of hall and archways


Date of Construction:
1860 - 1879


Address :
St. Colman's Hall Trevor Hill Newry Co Down BT34 1DN


Townland:
Carneyhough






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
15/12/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
Warehouse

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
266/7 NW

IG Ref:
J0873 2670





Owner Category


Church - RC

Exterior Description And Setting


Two storey curved Newry granite facade in highly decorated Lombardo-Gothic Revival style and flanked by coach arches sweeping around the east side of Trevor Hill. The façade fronts a modern hall of no historic or architectural merit. Flat felted roof to hall behind façade, with parapet gutter. Metal downpipes to left and right elevations. Walls to facade are ashlar granite on projecting base course with reconstituted stone dressings. Dressings consist of three foliated stringcourse, (a) ground floor window arch springing level, and (b) upper part of ground floor and rising to form pediments to coach arches, (c) first floor window arch springing level. All cill level of first floor windows is a plain moulded string, which continues and abuts coach arch pediments. Just below eaves level is a narrow moulded stringcourse with plain granite frieze over. At eaves is a projecting cornice supported on corbel brackets, between which are square panels with gothic headed recesses. Resting on the cornice is a parapet, consisting of three equal panels of fretted stone work (in an interlocking ring design). Between each panel and to each end are pairs of panelled posts, each with segmental heads. There is no doorway to façade. There are five equally spaced semicircular-headed windows to facade at ground floor. Each consists of two casements under a fanlight. All are set within colonetted reveals. Each colonette rests upon a plinth block and has a foliated head at spring of arch level, connected to continuous foliated spring. Each intrados has a roll moulded chamfer. All the ground floor windows rest on a continuous moulded cill course, which stops at ends of outer windows. In the spandrel between each window and to either end of facade are foliated roundels, each with a hood mould over. Between the first and second windows from the left and right the roundels are larger but have similar details. To first floor are three equally spaced paired windows. The windows each have two casements with a fanlight over. Between each in a pair is a colonette, with demi-colonettes to each jamb. Each colonette has a square plinth block and foliated head at spring of arch level connected to continuous foliated spring. The semicircular headed arch over the transoms has a roll moulded chamfer. Over each pair of windows is a segmental headed panel, with roll-moulded reveal and raised figurative keystone. In the panel, above the central colonette of each pair of windows in a moulded roundel panel, with the spandrel on either side decorated with foliated panels. The stringcourse just below eaves level rests on the keystones above each panel. Between each window and at ends (4 no.) are decorative roundels, as larger ones to ground floor with hood mould over and foliated relief. To either end at ground floor the walls continue, rising into gables, each containing a semicircular headed coach arch. The foliated stringcourse between ground and first floor continues out over the flanking gables as a coping. The cill course of the first floor windows continues as a wall head to meet the gable over each arch and continues on other side of each arch. Each archway has a large projecting figurative keystone, a curved reveal and voussoirs a pair of post-war wrought iron gates. There are also roundel panels (as those on facade) to either side of each arch and a larger one in gable over keystone. The right arch has raised letters stating, 'Saint Colmans Hall' arranged in a shallow curve above the keystone. Everything behind the facade is post-WW2. The side walls are wet dashed. Main entrance is at ground floor right (through arch into small paved area). There are two pairs of timber doors with projecting central ticket booth, under a projecting canopy. To first floor the wall is all glazed with occasional panels of orange and blue glass. The left arch on facade leads to a service yard.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


Trevor Hill was laid out in the late 18thC and developed in the early years of the 19thC. Buildings are shown on this site in the 1830s. The plot was vacant in 1863. This building was erected c1867 by Henry Thompson & Co as an office and wine store. In the following year Thompson was joined in partnership with one Hercules B. Moorehead. David & Ferris occupied the buildings in the 1920s. The rear section of the premises, which encompassed the warehouse accommodation, was demolished after WW2 to make way for the present St Colman’s Hall. The 1894 photograph shows this building to have had a central front door. Corbels on either side support a segmental archway which spans over as a hood and carries a decorative masonry parapet. Primary Sources: 1. OS map, 1861/73 edition, PRONI- OS 9/15/2/12 2. Valuation revision books, 1866-1930, PRONI - VAL 12B/22/14, p.96 (1867 valuation entry). 3. Valuation revision books, 1866-1930, PRONI - VAL 12B/22/16C, p.70 (1920 valuation entry).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest



Evaluation


Two storey curved Newry granite facade in highly decorated Lombardo-Gothic revival style flanked by coach arches and sweeping around the east side of Trevor Hill. This highly decorative façade is an important component of Trevor Hill with intricate detailing forming a fine architectural composition and a significant element in the composition of Trevor Hill.

General Comments




Date of Survey


12 April 2000