Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB03/10/003 C


Extent of Listing:
Water tower


Date of Construction:
1880 - 1899


Address :
Water tower Portrush Railway Station Eglinton Street Portrush Co Antrim BT56


Townland:
Portrush






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
11/04/2017 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Railway Station Structures

Former Use
Railway Station Structures

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
Yes

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
6-09

IG Ref:
C8576 4024





Owner Category


Central Govt

Exterior Description And Setting


A single cast iron water tank at S end of ‘down’ platform at Portrush Station. Tank 1 A painted cast-iron open-topped rectangular water tank on top of a squared basalt rubble single-stage tower with flat concrete roof. A plate on each side of the tank carries its maker’s name ‘D & W Grant/ Belfast/ 1883’. Flat-headed windows (with metal heads, brick jambs and concrete cills) to E and W elevations of tower, and similarly detailed door at S end. Operating chain on W side and cast-iron pipe outlet pipes along both sides of tower. Tank 2 - (To note - between 29th April 2013 and 28th March 2017 this tank and its concrete supporting blocks were removed prior to listing. This description is for information only.) This tank (now removed) appears to have supplemented the earlier one and was slightly larger. It was of cast iron and also bore its maker’s name on its sides - ‘T. Grendon & Co Drogheda Engineers 1886’. Given this date, it had evidently been moved from elsewhere as it was carried on reinforced-concrete transoms over two larger concrete beams, the ends of which are set into the adjoining tank’s tower. These beams (now removed) rest on two concrete pillow blocks on top of the flat concrete roof of a single-storey brick building. Timber door to N elevation (with concrete head lintel), and now-infilled window (with concrete head and cill) to E side. Setting: The platform N of the tank continues onwards almost to the original station building (HB03/010/003A) which has been superseded by a modern single-storey block. Tracks run either side of the tank. Immediately N of the single storey brick building previously supporting tank 2 are two signals associated with signal box to SE, on other side of track (HB03/010/003B). Schedule (Tank 1): Basalt walling Cast iron tank

Architects




Historical Information


The former Portrush Station was the northern terminus of the Coleraine-Portrush branch line of the Belfast-Londonderry Railway. This branch was originally the main line between Ballymena and Portrush and was built by William Dargan in 1853-55 for the Ballymena, Ballymoney, Coleraine & Portrush Junction Railway (BBCPJR). A small ‘railway terminus’ is captioned on the 1855 OS map (although it was probably added to the original printing plate sometime later). In 1861, the line was sold to the Belfast & Northern Counties Railway (BNCR). At the time of the intitial survey in 2013 there were two tanks. The earlier of the two tanks (that which remains) bears the date 1883, so would have been erected by the BNCR prior to the appointment of B.D. Wise in 1888. It is shown on the 1904 OS map and all subsequent editions. The BNCR was taken over by the Midland Railway (Northern Counties Committee) in 1903. This company was reconstituted as the London, Midland & Scottish Railway (Northern Counties Committee) in 1923. At nationalisation in 1949, the line was taken over by the Ulster Transport Authority, the precursors of Translink, its present operators. Sometime between 1946 and 1965, a second tank was added at the north end of the existing one, and this addition is shown on the latter map. Between April 2013 and April 2017 the second and later tank which was supported on concrete 'pillows' was removed, along with these supporting structures. The remaining (original) tank is still used to supply excursion steam trains operated by the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland which visit the resort from time to time. References – Primary sources: 1. Second edition OS six-inch map, Co Antrim sheet 6 (1855). 2. Dates on tank (1883, 1886). 3. PRONI OS/10/1/6/2/1. First edition OS 25-inch map, Co Antrim sheet 6-02 (1904). 4. PRONI OS/10/1/6/2/2. Second edition OS 25-inch map, Co Antrim sheet 6-02 (1931). 5. PRONI OS/10/1/6/2/3. Third edition OS 25-inch map, Co Antrim sheet 6-02 (1946). 6. PRONI OS/11/6/9/1. First edition IG 25-inch map, sheet 6-09 (1965). References – Secondary sources: 1. S. Johnson, Johnson’s Atlas & Gazetteer of the Railways of Ireland, p.107 (Leicester: Midland Publishing, 1997).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form F. Structural System H-. Alterations detracting from building I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

R. Age S. Authenticity T. Historic Importance X. Local Interest



Evaluation


A cast-metal water tank of 1883 on a masonry tower. The structure is of standard layout, the open metal tank being supported on a tower. Its historical interest is enhanced by the presence of its maker’s name and date. The addition mid-century of a second tank reflects the number of steam trains using the station in the mid-1900s, immediately prior to their replacement with diesel engines. Though one tank has been removed in recent years, the fact that the original tank remains and that it is still working is also of interest. The tank survives in its original setting at the S end of the station and also has group value with the station building (HB03/010/003A) and signal box and nearby signals (HB03/010/003B).

General Comments


Listing Criteria R - Age; S - Authenticity and T - Historic Importance also apply.

Date of Survey


29 April 2013