Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB03/18/039


Extent of Listing:
Library, walling railings, and chimney


Date of Construction:
1960 - 1979


Address :
Coleraine Library Queen Street Coleraine Co. Londonderry BT52 1BE


Townland:
Coleraine & Suburbs






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
28/09/2015 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Library

Former Use
Library

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
13-13NW

IG Ref:
C8474 3253





Owner Category


Education Board

Exterior Description And Setting


Detached circular two-storey over basement library of concrete framed construction, built c.1969 to the designs of John Neil of Dalzell and Campbell. Circular on plan with a railed basement area to the north and principal entrance to the southeast onto Queen Street. Built as three reinforced concrete frames crossing each other at a central axis and supporting three circular concrete plates; roof, first floor and ground floor. To the centre of the roof is a triangular roof lantern with triangular roof lights having vertical steel windows. Full-height steel-framed glazing panels angled in a zig-zag pattern to entire ground and first floors. Replacement aluminium glazed doors and entrance porch windows to the southeast opening onto tiled platform and ten tiled steps, bridging the basement area and enclosed by timber and steel balustrades. An access lift has been added to the right of the entrance in place of part of the original steps. Further entrance to the northwest at basement level with replacement uPVC entrance screen. Setting Located on a tight triangular site at the junction of Queen Street and Circular Road with the varying ground levels necessitating a basement area to the north, east and south enclosed by steel railings and concrete wall set on a textured concrete retaining wall. Roof Flat membrane RWG None Walling Concrete Windows Steel casement with glass and coloured opaque panels

Architects




Historical Information


Coleraine’s first public library was located in the Town Hall in the Diamond. The Ulster Town Directories note that the Town Hall was an important social, as well as commercial and political, meeting place in the mid-Victorian period and also included a concert room and news room. By the early-20th century a room in the Town Hall continued to be utilised as a library (Ulster Town Directories – 1861-1918). By the 1950s Coleraine’s Public Library was located in Queen Street; however this was still not a purpose-built structure, but consisted of the first floor of a temperance café leased by Londonderry County Council. In 1969 the first purpose-built public library was constructed at the corner of Queen Street and Circular Road; the building was designed by a local architect, John Neil. Londonderry County Council had acquired a steeply sloping and inappropriate plot of ground for the proposed library; however Neil was able to circumvent the problem through his modern design, supporting the building on freestanding columns and providing both ground and first floor entrances. When completed, Coleraine’s Public Library was valued at £848 under the Second General Revaluation of property in Northern Ireland (1956-72). Writing in 1972, Girvan described the newly-completed library in the following terms: ‘The building forms an excellent termination to Queen’s Street in that it bulges out from the street line … entirely circular and three-storey it is supported on freestanding vertical pillars. The floor and roof levels are emphasised by double coursing. The walls are of zig-zag glass panels and contain, within, the rows of bookcases. Above is a three-gabled roof light, perhaps sitting a little uncomfortably on a round structure. The interior is bright and spacious with a curving staircase to the upper balcony’ (Girvan, p. 16). Photographs of the building taken in the late-20th century indicate that the public library has not been discernibly altered in the subsequent four decades since its completion; field inspection shows that the original layout of the structure has been maintained and that the building continues to be used as Coleraine’s main public library. Access lift added to front of building c2014 References Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/5/7/5 – Fifth Edition Ordnance Survey map 1949 2. PRONI VAL/4/B/5/3 – Second General Revaluation of property in Northern Ireland 1956-1972 3. Ulster Street Directories (1861-1918) 4. Ordnance Survey map – 13-13NW3 (1967) Secondary Sources 1. Girvan, W. D., ‘Historic Buildings in Coleraine and Portstewart’ Belfast: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1972.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation E. Spatial Organisation F. Structural System G. Innovatory Qualities I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

V. Authorship X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance Z. Rarity R. Age S. Authenticity T. Historic Importance



Evaluation


Detached circular two-storey over basement library of concrete frame construction with a zig-zag arrangement of steel framed glazing with opaque coloured panels enlivening the exterior. Built c.1969 to the designs of John Neil of Dalzell and Campbell. Occupying a busy and prominent site, the building is a local landmark and is an unusual and expressive example of a public library which is of social interest to the local community. Internally a central staircase in a large hexagonal opening connects the different floors and the inside of the opaque panels are used for book shelves. Large triangular windows around a star shaped central timber boarded ceiling flood the interior with natural light. This is one of the most interesting libraries in N Ireland designed in the 1960's and builds on the legacy of the many fine Carnegie libraries constructed in the early twentieth century.

General Comments


Listing Criteria R - Age; S - Authenticity and T - Historic Importance also apply..

Date of Survey


20 March 2013