Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB11/04/003


Extent of Listing:
Church


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
Lower Langfield Church, Sloughan Road, Drumquin, Omagh, BT78 4PF


Townland:
Lisky Glebe






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
28/03/1988 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Church

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
119-15

IG Ref:
H3193 7423





Owner Category


Church - C of I

Exterior Description And Setting


Free-standing gable-fronted double-height single-cell stone Church of Ireland church, dated 1842. Set on an elevated corner site, facing west, with burial ground to south, tennis court and former school house to northwest, all enclosed by rubble-stone walls. Pitched natural slate roofs with clay ridge tiles and stone ashlar fractables to all gables. Moulded cast-iron guttering on iron drive-through brackets and cast-iron square-profile downpipes with trefoil brackets. Squared coursed and snecked rubble-stone walling with diagonal buttresses to the four corners of the principal volume formed in stone ashlar with offsets. Splayed ashlar plinth course to entire with corner piers to the front entrance porch, also having offsets. Double-heightGothic lancet window openings formed in chamfered ashlar stone with moulded stone sills, pointed-headed hood mouldings with octagonal decorative label stops and leaded quarry glazing (and weather glazing). Stained glass windows to openings to nave. Front gabled elevation (West), has a tall pinnacle rising from the diagonal buttress to either side with a large stone ashlar bell-cote rising from the gable having an open arch, slender angled buttresses and surmounted by a crenellation and pair of pinnacles. Set below the bell-cote is a gabled entrance porch with a pair of squat octagonal pinnacles rising from a pair of corner piers to the front. To the south cheek of the entrance porch is a Gothic door opening formed in double-chamfered stone ashlar with a hood moulding terminating in a pair of label stops. A pair of replacement hardwood doors and panel above, open onto a stone platform and step. Above the door opening is a carved stone plaque inscribed: “THIS CHURCH WAS BUILT/ 1842/ RECTOR, REV GILBERT KING/ CHANCEL BUILT/ 1867/ RECTOR REV CANON STACK/ RESTORED/ 1907./ RECTOR, REV T.L.F. STACK/ RESTORED/ 1965/ RECTOR, REV J.W.R. HILLIARD” Four-bay north side elevation with an elliptical-headed flush relieving arch visible in the two bays on the left. Windows to this elevation have no hood mouldings. The gabled rear elevation (East) is part cement rendered with a lower gabled chancel projecting from it and a further pair of projections to the corners. The projection to the south contains a store and is finished in rubble-stone. The projection to the north extended c.1990, now containing the vestry with a cement render finish, (windows re-positioned). Rising from the apex is a stone ashlar chimney comprising a large panelled rectangular block with a pair of square-plan pots having pitched mouldings. The gable to the chancel has a large pointed-headed window opening with reticulated stone tracery window and stained glass (weather glazed). To each corner projection is a Gothic door opening with chamfered stone ashlar surrounds and vertically-sheeted timber doors opening onto stone steps. Four-bay south side elevation, as per north side, with relieving arch at right. Setting Church is set on an elevated site on a bend in the road, enclosed by a low rubble-stone wall. Stone and marble grave markers occupy to sloping south side of the site with bitmac area to the front (west) area enclosed to the road by a pair of wrought-iron gates on octagonal stone ashlar piers. The north of the site is occupied by a bitmac tennis court and an early 20th century former school house (HB11/04/004). To the south is the rectory (HB11/04/001) with a small pedestrian gateway in the boundary wall opposite the main church gateway. Roof Covering Natural Slate Walling stone Windows quarry glazing & stained glass Rainwater goods Cast-iron

Architects


Buchanan, R Eccles

Historical Information


The church dates from 1842 (datestone). It church first appears on the second edition OS Map of 1854. A note in the Townland Valuation Records claims that the church was built in 1848 and is valued at £27 10s 0d. Griffith’s Valuation states that the lessor is Rev Wm M Edwards. The value does not change in subsequent revisions, but in 1873 a Sabbath School House is added to the plot at a value of £3.10.0. According to the diocesan history, the church was built by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners at a cost of £1,873.6.11. (p.251) Rowan comments; “A spiky little façade with pinnacled porch, gable, and bellcote. The chancel was built in 1867, re-using the old E window. Surveyor A Hardy. Restored and improved by James Reid of Derry 1916” (p.253) The Dictionary of Irish Architects notes that R E Buchanan was associated with 'alterations and improvements' in 1907. References: Primary Sources 1. PRONI OS/6/6/33/1-3 Ordnance Survey Maps (1833, 1854, 1906) 2. PRONI VAL/1/A/6/33 – Townland Valuation Map 3. PRONI VAL/1/B/635A – Townland Valuation Records (1828-40) 4. PRONI VAL/2/A/6/33A- Griffiths Valuation Map 5. PRONI VAL/2/B/6/37A - Griffiths Valuation (1856-64) 6. PRONI VAL/12/B/35/11A-F – Annual Revision Records (1860-1923) Secondary Sources 1. Leslie, Rev James B, ‘Derry Clergy and Parishes’, Fermanagh Times, 1937 2. Rowan, A ‘The Buildings of Ireland: North West Ulster’, Penguin Books, 1979 3. 2. The Dictionary of Irish Architects, on line www.dia.ie

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


Free-standing gable-fronted double-height single-cell stone Church of Ireland church, dated 1842. A modest sized church, dating from 1842, which was constructed with expansion in mind; the relieving arches in the nave walls suggest the addition of a pair of transepts may have been intended. The fine stonework is highlighted in the details to the pinnacles and bell-cote which give a decorative appearance to this rural church. Retaining its original setting, external detailing and an unaltered interior, it is of assured and well-considered design. In addition, and adding to its interest, this church forms one of the best associations of church and glebe house with the rectory (HB11/04/001) to the south.

General Comments




Date of Survey


04 February 2009