Skip to content

Historic Building Details

HB Ref No:
HB20/12/018 M

Extent of Listing:
Gatescreen, wall and lodges

Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839

Address :
Entrance Gate & Lodges Castle Upton Antrim Road Templepatrick Co Antrim BT39 0AH


Survey 2:

Date of Listing:
29/11/1974 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Gates/ Screens/ Lodges

Former Use
Gates/ Screens/ Lodges

Conservation Area:

Industrial Archaeology:





OS Map No:

IG Ref:
J2281 8559

Owner Category


Exterior Description And Setting

A double-height castellated entrance gateway leading to Castle Upton estate, constructed in 1837 to designs by Edward Blore. The gate is square in plan, flanked by wing walls concealing single storey gatehouses to either side. The roof is concealed by a crenellated parapet ; walling is squared rock faced basalt with ashlar (sandstone?) dressings (unless otherwise stated), all over a chamfered plinth. There is a moulded string course at parapet level . The gateway is set directly onto the north side of xxx Road, within the village of Templepatrick. The south and north elevations are identical; each consists of round-headed double-height entrance arch with chamfered ashlar surround and hood mould, contained in square-headed recess with mock machicolations beneath string course. The flanking piers are of finely dressed basalt with contrasting quoins and have arrow loops to ground floor level. Entrance gates are timber panelled with cast iron strap hinges. East and west elevations are identical, with the exception of an ashlar granite chimneystack on moulded corbel to east. Both elevations are blank. The interior is of ashlar sandstone and has a pair of deep round-headed recesses to either side. The ceiling is ruled-and-lined plaster over stone corbels, and the floor is cobbled. Square-headed timber panelled doors to adjoining gatehouses are located within each northern recess. There is a carriage bollard to the north east corner. The lower castellated screen walls are of rock faced basalt . Each contains an arrow loop and terminates with an ashlar buttress with stepped offsets. Thereafter the estate wall continues in squared uncoursed basalt with cut basalt saddleback coping. The gatehouses are each single storey , multiple bay, with lean-to natural slate roof. Walling is uncoursed squared basalt, windows are replacement timber lattice frame side-hung casements with chamfered ashlar stone surrounds and flush cills. Doors are replacement timber panelled, and dressed as windows. Roof covering Not accessible Walling Blackstone (Basalt) Windows N/A Rainwater goods Cast iron with castellated hopper head


Blore, Edward

Historical Information

OS Memoirs (1838) state Upton Castle was the seat of Viscount Templeton (proprietor of the village of Templepatrick). It was erected in 1611 as Castle Norton, built by Sir Robert Norton (who was granted the estate by James I), on the site of the ancient fourteenth century castle of the Knights of St John. The Upton family purchased the estate in the mid seventeenth century and the name was changed to Upton Castle. The gateway stands at the main entrance to the estate. OS Memoirs of 1838 state that Viscount Templeton was currently making improvements to Castle Upton estate, including a battlemented wall to the boundary with the village, 'lately commenced a magnificent entrance, somewhat resembling a barbican in the Saxon style of Architecture. It is punched granite, with white porphyry quoins, mouldings and pinnacles', the work was being carried out by Mr Blore of London (Edward Blore, who completed John Nash's Buckingham Palace). The 1st edition OS map (1837) of the area appears to show an earlier T-plan gatehouse to the west of where the current one stands. Refurbished in c.2000 by Hearth Housing Association. References: Primary Sources 1. OS Memoirs of Ireland, Parishes of Co Antrim XIII, 1833, 1835, 1838 (Templepatrick and District) Vol 35 2. PRONI VAL/1/A/1/51A & B -Townland Valuation Map (1836) 3. PRONI VAL/1/B/129A -Townland Valuation Field book (1836) 4. PRONI OS/6/1/51/1 -First Edition OS Map, Co Antrim (1834) Secondary Sources 1. Hearth. Restoration of Castle Upton Lodge. [Internet Source] Accessed 11/05/09 2. Dean, J. A. K. “The Gate Lodges of Ulster: A Gazetteer.” Belfast: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1994. 3. Girvan, W. D. & Rowan, R. J. “Ulster Architectural Heritage Society Second List of Historic Buildings, Groups of Buildings, Areas of Architectural Importance in West Antrim, Within the Designated Area of the Antrim and Ballymena Development Commission.” Belfast: Ulster Architectural Heritage Society, 1970.

Criteria for Listing

Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

Z. Rarity W. Northern Ireland/International Interest V. Authorship


A formally designed entrance gateway incorporating concealed gatehouses, forming the main entrance to Castle Upton Estate. The building was designed by respected British architect Edward Blore in a confident Picturesque style, with mock crenellations, machicolations and arrow loops an is an early example of the Norman Revival. Despite these romantic elements, the building displays rigid symmetry, which is enhanced by the twin lodges and wing walls to either side. The structure is a prominent roadside feature within the rural settlement of Templepatrick, contributing much to the character of the village, and conveying a sense of the grandeur of the estate beyond. The structure is of vital significance to the wider group value of the Castle Upton Estate (HB20/12/019).

General Comments

This record has been renumbered and was HB20/12/016.

Date of Survey

28 August 2008