Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB09/05/027


Extent of Listing:
Hall, gates, gate piers and walling


Date of Construction:
1880 - 1899


Address :
Orange Hall, 34 Lindesayville Road, Tullaghoge Cookstown Co Tyrone BT80 8UH


Townland:
Donaghrisk






Survey 2:
B2

Date of Listing:
14/10/2008 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
House

Former Use
House

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
141/03

IG Ref:
H8134 7348





Owner Category


Orange Order Orange Order

Exterior Description And Setting


This is a detached rendered two-storey double pitched roof Orange Hall, built 1892. It is rectangular in plan. It is located on the East side of Lindsayville Road at the junction with Desertcreat Road to the East side of Cookstown The front West elevation is three windows wide. Windows are square-headed with 2/2 timber sliding sash windows. There is a square-headed doorway to the centre of the ground floor. The double door is timber paneled with a rectangular overlight. There are rendered quoins surrounding the doorway with a rendered lintel over including a keystone. Windows to the ground and first floor are square-headed with timber casement frames. All window openings have metal grills over, thus partly obscuring the view of the windows. To the first floor there are two decorative patress plates. The side North elevation is gable-ended. It has two square-headed window openings to the ground floor as previous. There are no openings to the upper level. The side South elevation is gable-ended and contains no openings. There are decorative fascia boards to the gable ends. The rear East elevation is roughcast render. It has one square-headed door opening to the upper level with a timber-sheeted door. External walls are painted ruled and lined render with quoin stones to edges. The roof is pitched with natural slate and decorated clay ridge tiles. Setting: The Orange Hall is set back from the main Lindsayville road behind a hedge. There is a small lawn with a central graveled path to the front, with a painted wrought-iron gate to the roadside. There are two tall freestanding flagpoles located within the lawn, one to the left and one to the right. The flagpoles are painted with decorative finials on top. Killymoon River is located immediately to the West.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


This Orange Hall was built 1892. It is shown on the OS map of 1906-07 as ‘Lindesayville Orange Hall’. References- Primary sources 1 PRONI VAL/12B/37/5D Annual valuation revision book, Tullaghoge ED, 1881-94 2 PRONI VAL/12B/37/5E Annual valuation revision book, Tullaghoge ED, 1895-1912 3 PRONI OS/6/6/38/3 OS map, Co. Tyrone sheet 38, 1906-07 4 PRONI VAL/12B/37/5F Annual valuation revision book, Tullaghoge ED, 1913-29 5 PRONI VAL/3B/7/5 First general revaluation of Northern Ireland, Tullaghoge ED 1935 6 PRONI VAL/3C/7/7 First general revaluation of Northern Ireland, Tullaghoge ED, 1936-57 7 PRONI VAL/4B/6/9 Second general revaluation of Northern Ireland, Tullaghoge ED, 1956-72

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance X. Local Interest



Evaluation


This building is a little altered, well proportioned and detailed example of a late nineteenth century Orange Hall. It enjoys a prominent location, oposite a T-junction. The original setting is well preserved and the hall has important local social importance.

General Comments




Date of Survey


21 January 2008