Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB09/14/005


Extent of Listing:
Hall


Date of Construction:
1820 - 1839


Address :
Derryloran Parish Hall Loy Street Cookstown Co Tyrone


Townland:
Loy






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
24/10/1975 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
Church

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
124-07

IG Ref:
H8106 7801





Owner Category


Church - C of I

Exterior Description And Setting


A single storey rendered and roughcast building of T-plan shape, in classical style to the front and to the projecting entrance bay, with a long return added to the rear. It stands facing the main street of the town set back from it within its own grounds. The main entrance faces east in an elevation consisting of a long lateral rectangular hall-type building with a half-hipped roof, set back behind a deep projecting central entrance block which has a hipped roof. Walls are smooth cement rendered, lined and blocked, with a projecting plinth, projecting sandstone cornice, surmounted by a plain rusticated blocking course, and rusticated sandstone quoins and dressings to openings. Roofs are of Bangor blue slates in regular courses. The main doorway contains a pair of rectangular timber panelled doors surmounted by a panelled screen, set in rusticated block sandstone surrounds including a keystone cut from one block to give the appearance of five voussoirs. The doorway is reached by a flight of six concrete flagged steps, and has modern timber handrails attached to the walls each side of it. There is one window in the front wall of the lateral block to each side of the central entrance bay projection, and two windows in each side wall of the entrance block. All are rectangular timber vertically hung sliding sashes nine over nine, with horns, except that the two nearest the front of the entrance bay are very narrow and are three over three with margin lights. Cills are of tooled sandstone. The one to the right in the lateral block has been chiselled down in girth for half its length which produces an unusual appearance. Rainwater goods to the east elevation are modern aluminium with circular downpipes and plain hoppers; the gutters are concealed. The side or end elevations of the lateral block are very plain in appearance, with roughcast rendered walls, two windows each, sashed as previous to the main front but set in plain reveals, and similar downpipes as the main front, with half-round guttering. The rear or west elevation of the lateral block is of similar walling to the sides and contains one window sashed as previous, and similar downpipe to the front, with moulded guttering. Projecting to the west from the rear elevation, and flush with the south wall of the main block, is a long single storey modern extension of 1982, gabled and slated, with roughcast walls, but modern, largely fixed light windows. SETTING: The entire grounds have been laid with tarmac. The boundary to the front street is marked by a modern rubble stone wall and modern iron railings. To the rear, standing within its own grassed garden, is the rectory reached by a driveway opening off the grounds of this building.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


Historical Information Built originally in 1835 as a Presbyterian Meeting House consisting of the an original modest gabled hall with a main lateral block running north to south which was added later, sometime after 1857, thus giving a classical front façade with a central projecting front entrance bay. Later it became the church hall for Derryloran Church of Ireland Parish. The new minor hall to the rear was opened in 1982, and the main hall refurbished in 1989. References – Primary Sources 1. OS Map 1833, Co Tyrone 29. 2. OS Map 1857, Co Tyrone 29. Secondary Sources 1. S. Lewis, A topographical dictionary of Ireland (London, 1837), Vol 1, p 395.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation H-. Alterations detracting from building

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest Z. Rarity Y. Social, Cultural or Economic Importance



Evaluation


This is a building of modest origins and simple rectangular plan which was later enlarged in the 19th century to form the T-plan frontage in classical style which is presented to main public view today. While later alterations and additions have detracted form the external appearance to the rear, and from the character inside, its main exterior elevation forms an architecturally impressive feature in the main street of the town. Its change in function from Presbyterian meeting house to Church of Ireland parochial hall represents an interesting historical development. It stands as a building of considerable local interest and social value as well as formal architectural impressiveness.

General Comments




Date of Survey


29 November 2007