Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB24/07/060


Extent of Listing:
Hall


Date of Construction:
1880 - 1899


Address :
Masonic Hall 1 Millisle Road / 2 Killaughey Road Donaghadee Co. Down


Townland:
Donaghadee






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
25/02/2005 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
Hall

Former Use
Hall

Conservation Area:
Yes

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
No

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
132/4

IG Ref:
J5920 7969





Owner Category


Orange Order

Exterior Description And Setting


Donaghadee Masonic Lodge is a relatively small, typical late Victorian red brick and sandstone hall of 1898-99, with gothic revival features. It is situated on the W side of the Millisle Road, at the intersection of the Killaughey Road and has been well preserved. The building is ā€˜L’ shaped in plan. And consists of a gabled hall section with a smaller gabled projection to the N. The entrance is located on the centre right (N facing) gable of the projection and consists of panelled double doors set in a Tudor arch with fanlight. The doorway is reached via a raised stone platform with two steps. To the left of this is a small sliding sash window, with shaped sandstone lintel, all set on a cill course (which continues around the entire building). There is a sandstone band high in the gable, with a small slit opening above this. The gabled is buttressed and has a chamfered base (as does the rest of the building). To the E facade of the projection are two small paired sliding sash windows, similar to previous. The rear (W) facade consists of the W side of the projection (which has two sliding sash windows) and the W gable of the hall (which is blank). The S facade (of the hall) has four pointed arch windows with stained glass and buttresses between each opening. The E gable of the hall has two outer pointed arch windows with cusped frames and stained glass. In between these is a large pointed arch recess with sandstone infill forming an inscribed panel (at the base of the recess), two cusped window-like panels above this, and a large trefoil, with stained glass, to the arch head. Above the outer windows and the central panel is a continuous line of label moulding. To either side of the large central recess is a sandstone band, with another high in the gable. To the short N facade of the hall are two pointed arch windows (as S facade) with a butress between. Both the hall and the projection have an asbestos slated gabled roof with decorative red clay ridge tiles. There is a small, ogee domed, lead and timber cupola to the main (hall) roof. The E gable of the hall and the projection gable both have sandstone parapets. Cast iron ogee gutters and down spouts. Low rendered wall, with wrought iron railing and gates, to N and E (which should be included in the listing). This hall appears to be largely intact both inside and out and is well maintained.

Architects


Phillips, J J & Son

Historical Information


This hall was built in 1898-99 to designs by the firm of J.J. Phillips and Son. The building was re-roofed recently, at which time the chimney may have been removed. References- Secondary sources 1. Hugh Dixon et al Historic buildings, groups of buildings, buildings of architectural importance in Donaghadee and Portpatrick (UAHS 1977), p.30.

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

A. Style B. Proportion C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form I. Quality and survival of Interior J. Setting

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest



Evaluation


Small single storey late Victorian Masonic hall of 1898-99, in red brick and sandstone with gothic detailing. This building is still largely intact both inside and out and a good example of a hall from this period.

General Comments




Date of Survey


12 May 1998