Skip to content
Buildings(v1.0)

Historic Building Details


HB Ref No:
HB16/05/001 H


Extent of Listing:
House


Date of Construction:
1840 - 1859


Address :
"Johnny's" Hanna’s Close 87-89 Aughnahoory Road Kilkeel Newry Co. Down BT34 4HF


Townland:
Aughnahoory






Survey 2:
B1

Date of Listing:
14/08/1981 00:00:00

Date of De-listing:

Current Use:
House

Former Use
House

Conservation Area:
No

Industrial Archaeology:
No

Vernacular:
Yes

Thatched:
No

Monument:
No

Derelict:
No




OS Map No:
278/16

IG Ref:
J3130 1644





Owner Category


Miscellaneous

Exterior Description And Setting


Two-storey / two storey vernacular farmhouse facing S with single storey modern monopitched extension at right. Aligned down slope. Pitched natural slate roof with blue clay ridge, raised concrete verges and plastered chimneys on both gables. Half-round metal gutters and downpipes at right. The principal elevation of the main building is rubble stone and whitewashed. There is an unusually deep eaves corbel. The door is offset slightly right of centre. It is four panelled painted; the frame stands on deep stone stools. Granite threshold approached by a cobbled path of tiny stones. To each side of entrance is a 2/2 exposed box sliding sash window with a granite cill. At first floor there are three 2/2 sashes in line with those to ground floor but diminished in height. The ground banks up to first floor level on left gable which has a 6/6 window. On rear elevation the right bay is wet dashed, the left bay is harled, and the extension is wet dashed; all white washed. To first floor there is a 1/1 sash on left and a small single paned casement window at middle. Right gable is abutted by lean-to, the exposed section is blank. Its roof is monopitched natural slate with raised concrete verges. Its right wall has a 2/2 sash, bulkhead light; half door vertically t+g sheeted and painted, with a concrete threshold and granite step. The extension is wet dashed and whitewashed. The extension has a small 2/2 sash. Setting: This is a prominent site overlooking the Kilkeel River. It is delineated by dry boulder granite walls, partly original, part rebuilt and part new. The few perimeter trees are of importance to the character of the site. Carriageways are paved in quarry dust/crushed shalestone and edged with granite kerbstones. Walkways are granite setts and the remaining open space is grass with small beds of flowers. There are a number of gates. Some are old, but those on the vehicular entrances are newly made to traditional designs. Each house has a specially designed cast metal plaque as part of the refurbishment.

Architects


Not Known

Historical Information


Clachan shown on 1834 OS 6” map and subsequent editions. This particular building appears on the 1859 and subsequent editions, indicating a mid-19th century date of construction. Sources: PRONI – OS 6/3/56/1, OS 6/3/56/2 (Down sheet 56).

Criteria for Listing


Architectural Interest

C. Ornamentation D. Plan Form H+. Alterations enhancing the building J. Setting K. Group value

Historic Interest

X. Local Interest



Evaluation


Forms part of an important vernacular grouping (clachan). Although restored and extended, alterations have been minimal.

General Comments




Date of Survey


03 August 1998